TGMO Pricing/Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been trying to decide on M1 AFE/EP or TGMO for the new Accord. The filter will absolutely be a FU.

After shopping locally for TGMO, either dealers dont stock it or they will not bugde on the 7.40/qt price. A couple of other dealers have it at slightly better prices, but the cost of gas used offsets the price change.

I did find an online seller that will sell and ship the TGMO for about 76 dollars, which is around 6.30/qt. Pretty good, especially with shipping.

However, I continue to mull if I should go with TGMO or the M1. Both great oils, but I do like the start-up weight of TGMO and feel like it might net me a little more MPG. I'm confident it will hold up well, as I think the MM will track at about 7,500 miles until placing me at 15%. Any thoughts? If I go with M1, I am looking at around $24 and change for 5 quarts, so the price difference is not much. My gut tells me to try TGMO for a couple of changes and see how I like it, as many seem to be very satisfied with it.

Thoughts?

Probably the car will be totaled, stolen or sold because you want something different to drive,before the oil choices will make any difference. Switch around it is fun to compare. I have seen Hondas with 350,000 miles on them using quick lube oil and filters.

Even if TGMO was cheaper, I wouldn't buy it. It's worth it to me not to have to drive into a car dealership, struggle to find parking, wait on the parts rep who's always busy, and then wait for the cashier who's on the phone multi tasking. I go into Walmart anyway, just pick up what I need when I'm there.

I have no interest in TGMO.

If I was to buy a dealer-supplied oil, I'd choose Mazda oil over Toyota every day.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Regardless of what you choose, your Honda won't notice the difference. However, if pressed between the two, I'd go with the M1 because it's cheaper.

+1 - and more readily available.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
You'd think he had just bought a Lambo.

I love comments like this. Why even bother? I'm asking an oil related question on an oil related forum, like the rest of us. I'm looking for real world experience/thoughts, which I have received, you being the exception.

It's a Honda..I realize that. It's a nice car, I work hard for my money, and I take pride in what I own. Never claimed it was a lambo, nor am I asking about some super exotic oils.

Always amazes me that folks waste their time making comments like the one above.

For me it's Mobil 1 AFE 0W20. It is easy to find, cheaper because it is on sale somewhere just about every month. Or I buy it at Walmart if there aren't any local sales. For the price and hassle to get TGMO it isn't worth it to me. I seriously doubt your engine will last any longer using TGMO vs. M1. Bottom line use whatever is cheaper and easier to get.

Don't overthink the oil too much... if YOU really want TGMO, amd are willing to deal with getting it, then go for it. But M1 0w20, is 99.8 % as good as TGMO, without the headaches getting it. Some might say it is 100.5 % as good, BECAUSE it is available everywhere...

And careful with the filter... FU are good filters, no question, and I use one on my Honda, but there is one big difference... mine is past warranty... yours, not so much...!

Sometimes it is better to just not risk a warranty issue should an engine fail under warranty... manufacturers can be difficult in such situations... !

Fram Ultra is an excellent filter.

And another vote for M1. We run fleet trucks to outrageous mileages with nothing but whatever synthetic is on sale. Most are far better than needed.

Pick an interval first. If you use the factory MM then use a better oil. If you are a 5k or less guy then Regular Pennzoil Yellow Bottle is a killer oil at a great price...

I think I'm going with the MM, so probably around 7.5-9k. Looks like M1 AFE or 0w20 EP.

If I decide to go with shorter intervals I'll go with PYB..it IS a great oil. My favorite.

I have been debating that exact issue for a while now. I live in the city and all the local dealers weren't useful in getting actual TGMO. I ended up looking online and found the same price per quart after shipping for the TGMO.

I'd still like to try it, especially with winter months coming, but the hassle of ordering it online has pushed me towards M1's 0W20 AFE. I actually used QSUD last time around for the FRN rewards.

I guess I ended up making the decision to go with an over the counter 0W20 vs finding TGMO.

The tipping point for me would be about $5/qt.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
I think I'm going with the MM, so probably around 7.5-9k. Looks like M1 AFE or 0w20 EP.

If I decide to go with shorter intervals I'll go with PYB..it IS a great oil. My favorite.

You must be reading my mind. I've been running down to 0% (6-8,00mi depending on season) on the MM in my Hondas with AFE/QSUD, but I've also considered going with 5W20 PYB and changing at 15%. If you like the moly in PYB, QSUD has a good dose of Moly too! http://www.pqiamerica.com/June%202014/quakerstate.htm?utm_source=July+3%2C+2014&utm_campaign=7-3-2014&utm_medium=email

Actually, the warranty thing might be a good reason to stick with 0W20 over PYB (5W20, I think).

Last edited:
QSUD is attractive. I like the moly and it can sometimes be had for a nice price. That being said, if it's only a couple of bucks difference for M1, I will probably go with that.

Funny thing...my dealer has it plastered all over that one can use 5w20 with no repercussions. Also doesnt specify syn versus conv. Not sure I will run PYB anytime soon, but I'd honestly feel just fine running it 5-6k. It's very capable of that, in my mind.

I get my TGMO here. Works out to about $5.80/quart with shipping. But the minute the price goes up, I'll drop back to AFE. I have two UOAs with AFE and they were stellar.

I am anxiously awaiting a UOA with TGMO to compare the two oils. I do not expect the TGMO UOA to be any better than AFE, but hopefully no worse.

http://www.midatlantictoyotaparts.com/?p..._str=002790WQTE

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BTLew81

I did find an online seller that will sell and ship the TGMO for about 76 dollars, which is around 6.30/qt. However, I continue to mull if I should go with TGMO or the M1. Both great oils, but I do like the start-up weight of TGMO and feel like it might net me a little more MPG.

*snip*

If I go with M1, I am looking at around $24 and change for 5 quarts, so the price difference is not much.

Thoughts?

Yes. I'm betting the immeasurable difference in fuel economy between those two oils is not going to net you the $7.50 in gasoline savings.

To test my theory I plugged it into this calculator:

http://www.calculator.net/fuel-cost-calculator.html?

Used 30Mpg as your average fuel economy, fuel price as $2.87/gallon and used your OCI as the distance, 7,500 miles.

@ 30MPG:
250.00 gallons or 946.35 litres of gas with fuel cost of $717.50.

@30.2MPG:
248.34 gallons or 940.09 litres of gas with fuel cost of $712.75.

Remember, Mobil claims their AFE oils:

Originally Posted By: Mobil 1
Helps improve fuel economy based on 0.2-2.3% potential fuel economy improvement obtained by switching from higher viscosity oils to a 0W-20 grade. Actual savings are dependent upon vehicle/engine type, outside temperature, driving conditions and your current engine oil viscosity.

You are using the same grade, so the gains would be significantly less. But even using the bottom of Mobil's claim above, 0.2%, pretending that TGMO might be THAT much thinner, we get:

249.50 gallons or 944.46 litres of gas with fuel cost of $716.07.

Or a massive savings of $1.43
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Waste of money to spend any extra on TGMO vs a great oil like M1. At same price maybe.

Here TGMO is actually cheaper than M1 AFE is.

AFE 0w20 is currently $22.66 for the 5qt. jug at WM.....that's $4.53 a quart for one of the best 0w20's available....enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back