Chevy Cruze loaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a 2014 Cruze 1LT with the 1.4 turbo for the last couple days as a loaner. The dealer is trying to solve the mysteries of the non-functional power mirrors on the Traverse. Thankfully, it's on their dime.

Observations:
Not a bad little car, I was half expecting it to be a spartan little beater, but it's actually a nice little car. The engine is a little noisy, and I had to wonder if they gave me a Cruze diesel as a loaner, but a look under the hood confirmed it was the 1.4 turbo. Transmission shifts nicely, and the seats are comfortable. Feels like the engine has plenty of power for its size, and I can feel the turbo kicking in if I need to get going.

The electric power steering is very smooth, and has good feel to it.

The appointments are nice; XM radio, auto-dimming mirror, power driver's seat, radio controls on the steering wheel, and remote start.

My only gripes are that it's not made for tall people. I'm 6' and I have the driver's seat as low as it goes. Still feels like I'm about to bump the roof with my head. I had to put my guitar case in it, and put the back seats down. I found the passenger seat had to move way forward to put the rear seat down, even with the rear headrest lowered all the way it still didn't clear the passenger seat.

I was a little surprised to see drum brakes on the rear. Those seem archaic these days. My '97 Saturn and the last two CR-Vs had disc brakes all around.

Eyeballing the engine it looks like the accessory belt would be a chore to replace. It neatly surrounds the engine mount, and it doesn't appear there is any way to get it out without unbolting the motor mount first.

My wife has the same issue at 6 feet with many new cars. Did your rental have a sunroof?

We have two close friends with the Cruze, one loves it and one hates it. It's a smaller car that somehow looks bigger, I like the styling...

Eyeballing the engine it looks like the accessory belt would be a chore to replace. It neatly surrounds the engine mount, and it doesn't appear there is any way to get it out without unbolting the motor mount first.

WOW
I would imagine a lot of DIY people are very disappointed when they find these things out for the 1st time.

That's why my Nephew just bought a 1967 Chevy Pickup.

Steve: No sunroof, it just seems to be a low roof. I'd hate to see what it's like with a sunroof.

Larry: Yep, that stinks when routine maintenance is that difficult. I thought the Traverse was bad because I had to remove the intake manifold to change the spark plugs. At least the IM doesn't have coolant going through it and it's not too hard to remove. Something wrong when it looks like you need an engine hoist just to change the accessory belt.

Check the oil level in that Cruze.
It should not be noisy.

Seven engine mounts to damp vibration/engine noise...

Also check coolant level, new service note out on bubbles working their way out...

I found the steering to be poor - artificially weighted and no feedback and predominant understeer - also the struts were clattery over broken pavement on 2 samples. Another front end made of junk mac strut.
The platform WAS solid (high hz resonance) torsionally and quiet. Sort of a scaled down Malibu - which was a much better car for not much more $$ in its previous iteration. IF you are going to make a enjoyable 21 century small car - don't follow Toyota's lead in just 4/5 scaling and simultanously cheapening the cars bigger brother

I also had a rented Cruze...I found it incredibly claustrophobic and cramped.

Does yours also shift like a misprogrammed DSG?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
My wife has the same issue at 6 feet with many new cars. Did your rental have a sunroof?

We have two close friends with the Cruze, one loves it and one hates it. It's a smaller car that somehow looks bigger, I like the styling...

Your wife is 6 feet tall? was she a basket ball player?

My wife and I drove a Cruze Eco with a 6-speed manual when we were choosing a car. It was used, but low mileage. I was pretty impressed with the driving dynamics and interior.

I'm 6'2" tall and I didn't have any problem fitting in it.

It was basically the runner up in our shopping. We liked the driving dynamics and 42 mpg highway rating. But we got a screaming deal on a 2010 Jetta that beat out the Cruze.

10 years ago I never would have though a small Chevy car would be anything interesting to me, but I liked it.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

mines 6ft5in! i think they grow taller in warmer climates.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I found the steering to be poor - artificially weighted and no feedback and predominant understeer - also the struts were clattery over broken pavement on 2 samples. Another front end made of junk mac strut.

Have you ever driven the Porsche Boxster or Cayman?

They both run struts front and rear, and am curious if you think those two cars have a junk suspension setup.

BC.

Semi-related question: if you had a loaner to choose, either Cruze or Focus, which one would you go for?

Gonna be driving around the Blue Ridge Parkway next week, so I want something smaller that's more manageable in the twisties, but also don't want a dud.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

My wife is a stunning former Revlon hair model. Yeah, I know, lucky guy...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Semi-related question: if you had a loaner to choose, either Cruze or Focus, which one would you go for?

Gonna be driving around the Blue Ridge Parkway next week, so I want something smaller that's more manageable in the twisties, but also don't want a dud.

IMO having driven both I would call the Focus more econobox feeling and the Cruze somehow comes off more upscale. YMMV...

Originally Posted By: Chris142
mines 6ft5in! i think they grow taller in warmer climates.

Indeed. Mine is a genuine Florida cracker grown right here locally!!

Good for you, Chris, for having the courage to ask her out in the first place!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

IMO having driven both I would call the Focus more econobox feeling and the Cruze somehow comes off more upscale. YMMV...

Agreed after having a Focus loaner for 4 days while my Cruze was in the body shop. The Focus chassis is set up better, but the Cruze's seats are comfier (to me) and more supportive of semi-aggressive driving. Going around a bumpy corner somewhat fast in the Focus left me sliding off the wide, flat seat and hanging onto the steering wheel for dear life like I was in my old Buick. My Cruze is a little squirrelier around the same corners thanks to its less-sophisticated suspension letting both rear wheels hop a little, but the seat and seatbelt kept me in place much better. I find the latter to be more entertaining.

The car is a totally different beast with the manual transmission. Having the ability to work the engine better or shift into top gear sooner is very nice. The stock engine/transmission programming on the Cruze leaves a bit to be desired since the auto doesn't hesitate at sending the engine revving sky-high where the turbo is not contributing. It's faster to accelerate at 3/4 throttle than WOT since the engine won't rev as high before shifting. The gasser manual is also much more efficient than the gasser auto.

Lastly, the 1.4T does indeed pick up ponies running premium unleaded. GM rated the 138 hp on regular unleaded, and threw in a high-octane map for giggles. If the weather is warm enough to even think of running the A/C, run premium since the car will be a bit of a dog with the A/C on, and completely comatose running 87 octane with any A/C use. That goes away with a tune, but that's not an option for a rental.

Depends on whether you get the 1.8 non turbo or 1.4 turbo Cruze.

With the 1.4, let the RPM's stay a little high, more boost from the turbo.

With both, drive in manual mode if it is an automatic...

Keep an eye on the tach, temp and remember speed on the parkway is 30...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back