Screwdriver bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Who makes the best screwdriver bits? Generally speaking Phillips and flat, though I've busted some robertsons too.

I went through a bunch, even Hilti branded, in the past when helping folks with drywall jobs.

I bought a snap-on ratcheting screwdriver a few months ago, and despite a ton of use, those bits still look like new. But obviously snap on doesn't make their own bits, at least I'd guess. To the contrary, some ryobi bits I bought got nasty after wiring a few simple circuits in my kitchen renovation.

So, any leads? I'd rather not pay snap on prices if their source (they are us made) is available cheaper.

I have a few Wiha bit sets which I like but the best Phillips that I have is an Apex. It's not as pointy and seems to sit deeper in the screw head and drives consistently well without stripping.

Ditch the Phillips head and get the square drive screws. Made the switch recently and don't plan to go back. With the square drive it makes it a lot easier to use one hand for holding something as the screwhead stays in the bit a lot better in all positions. I bought some Hilti square drive bits (really shiny looking) and have run at least 500 screws through and not a bit of wear.

I like [censored] bits. I'd rather mangle a bit than a screw in most cases.

I did recently buy a bunch of DeWalt #2 phillips bits that have held up well; much better than the el-Cheapo bits I usually use.

I was at home depot a couple weeks ago passing time & ran into the Milwaukee rep demo'ing a new cordless drill.
When he was done I tried the drill out on the demo boards they had using their new screwdriver bits.
the rep pretty much sold me on them. They grip the screws nicely, seem to be solidly strong, although they look weak looking.
I bought a multipack and have been pretty impressed so far!

The main issue I have is that box stores hardly even carry straight bits any more. Yet for certain things like electric work, straight can actually be better.

You must mean straight slot bits. If you're feeling lazy, you can go to snapon.com and buy them there. All Snap-on screwdriver bits are made by Zephyr USA.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You must mean straight slot bits. If you're feeling lazy, you can go to snapon.com and buy them there. All Snap-on screwdriver bits are made by Zephyr USA.

Yes I do, and that's the exact info I was looking for. These Zephyr bits are the best Ive used.

My go to screwdriver is, by far the Klien 10 and 1. The flat tips are hollow ground and have the most grip of hundreds of screwdrivers I have used. Lost a few phillips bits over the years because they fit so tight, they get left behind it the screw. All the bits are double ended ball detent. Besides the 4 screw tips, you get 2 torx, 2 square, 1/4,5/16 hex, and a great rubber grip. I have several and they used to be around $12. I have bought many as gifts too. They are great! I use the rest of my screwdrivers for the prying, beating on. The Klien for screws.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back