Aluminium rim and excess torque, is it ruined?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had this happen to me yrs ago. Since then, I grease the hub and lugs. I make sure I can loosen the lugs with the tool I carry along with a Jack, a spare and some wood for pads and chocks. On my BMWs, I have changed a flat and been on my way in less than 10 minutes.

If you have that silly crank style BMW jack, most of the 10 minutes is taken up just with that
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
Had this happen to me yrs ago. Since then, I grease the hub and lugs. I make sure I can loosen the lugs with the tool I carry along with a Jack, a spare and some wood for pads and chocks. On my BMWs, I have changed a flat and been on my way in less than 10 minutes.

you see at the moment I have power tools until I go to pharmacy college outside of st. louis...then I would regret not putting anti-seize on the hub and lug nuts!

Originally Posted By: andyd

I will have to grease them in the spring I guess. This is actually our first car with alloy wheels so I'm used to dealing with steel rims which seem to have less of these issues...

I use a thin film of antiseize between alloy wheels and a steel hub to prevent corrosion and sticking. Only use it where the two metals touch together and corrode due to a chemical reaction.

In truck wheels, there is a paper thin gasket to use under the wheels to prevent sticking.

Over-tightening lug nuts can stretch the studs and lead to a failure. I broke a stud off a week after some idiot hammered it on at a tire shop. There was a rust mark where it was fractured and snapped off breaking it loose.

Last spring, I took a 200 mile trip in the Rat. It isn't the best handling ride in general, but on the way home, it got extra squirrelly. I kept right and cruised home at 60. Two wheel studs had loosened in the hub. The wheel was very loose, but couldnt fall off unless the studs sheared. I had had the wheels off back in '12 and had a PITA time tightening the lugs. It didn't occur to to me that I was dealing with the results of a mis-used air wrench. Not until I had replaced 3 studs and 10 lug nuts.

What is the lug nut material and what is the wheel material? Is the wheel surface where the lug seats damaged or missing any paint?

My BMW 318i seizes its lugs to the point that I need to stand on a four foot bar (that's over 800 ft-lb) to break the bond. I torque them to 88 ft-lb.

So they may be corroded and not overtorqued at all.

If they are overtorqued, the fasteners may have stretched, and if replace them at minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back