Home Internet speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's your home Internet speed? The wife says our speed is pretty slow at times, we have 15 mbps. We never get the full 15 mbps though.

Last edited:
We recently received a free upgrade which more than doubled the download speed (the upload remained the same):

3832542501.png

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I got 20 download 2 upload low latency cable. They offer up to 50/5 but it's pricey.

what is pricey? I wanna know the cost of utilities around the US, it is really cheap to live out here in St. Louis and I love it.

I've got 15/1 with Time Warner Cable out here in semi-rural, corn covered Eden, NY.

Many like to complain about TWC and brag about FiOS... but TWC has always served me well. Ever since I put my own Motorola SurfBoard modem up with a Sonicwall, I get my rated package all day long.

Internet is incredibly peppy too. Downloads top out at 1.5-2 MB/sec.

OP, how good is your modem and gateway? Could be the bottle neck there.

2w7h11h.jpg

Wouldn't call it fast but I loads video (even HD) at an acceptable rate. There is a point where your internet is faster then your PC and you gain nothing unless you have 3-4 others online at the same time.

I use my tablet at work (they have 50mbps) and if noticed not speed difference.

I pay $55/month for cable DSL through Mediacom. No bundle, just internet.

Just tested speed on Ookla: 30.2 Mbps download and 2.9 Mbps for upload.

Hahaha... look at that ping....

3832602149.png

This is a free internet connection provided by our apt complex. Sometimes it gets really slow when everyone starts using it after getting back from work/school. Sadly, there is no good paid alternative here.

$46 per month with taxes.. Round Rock Texas.

This is Time Warners medium package, the high speed package is 300mb.

All the companies are moving quickly because google fiber is coming to town.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

thank god, they need to make the internet prices competitive, F monopolies, I hate one company setting the price in a given area, internet has been like that for a while, even though I can't complain with AMAZING charter internet I have always gotten here for 19.99-29.99 for the last 15 years.

But in chicago, the comcast internet SUCKS BALLS, its horrible. and it cost around 50-60? WHAT 50-60???

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
But in chicago, the comcast internet SUCKS BALLS, its horrible. and it cost around 50-60? WHAT 50-60???

That's because Google Fiber is not welcome in this town, apparently.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

thank god, they need to make the internet prices competitive, F monopolies, I hate one company setting the price in a given area, internet has been like that for a while, even though I can't complain with AMAZING charter internet I have always gotten here for 19.99-29.99 for the last 15 years.

All the big companies are sitting on bandwidth. They dole it out only when competition comes.

So Time Warner magically came along moving my 15mb package to 100mb for FREE a few months ago, just as ATT UVerse came along with "gigafast" internet, just as Grande came along with Gigabit internet.

Google is still laying fiber for its product, and the other three are shaking in their boots.

FYI, I live in a rural suburb of Austin, the only choice for high speed internet is time warner. Nothing else. I can't even get DSL.

Last edited:
All the big companies are sitting on bandwidth. They dole it out only when competition comes.

So Time Warner magically came along moving my 15mb package to 100mb for FREE a few months ago, just as ATT UVerse came along with "gigafast" internet, just as Grande came along with Gigabit internet.

Google is still laying fiber for its product, and the other three are shaking in their boots.

FYI, I live in a rural suburb of Austin, the only choice for high speed internet is time warner. Nothing else. I can't even get DSL.

LOL, that sucks, I have options but only cable is charter. But since they have been ridiculously reliable unlike comcast in chicago, I'm not really affected.

We have TWC 300/20 (same price as 100/20), $71/month. It may be a bit of overkill, but sometimes we are streaming Netflix through the PS3 for the kids, Hulu on the iPad for my wife, and me streaming high bandwidth music while doing emails, surfing the web, etc. while connected through my work VPN. Just did a speed test with my smartphone and it came back as 110.84/18.76. I work from home and regularly get 200+ during the day and 100+ at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back