Whats a decent price for a bumper repaint..or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow I plan on visiting three local paint and body shops to get quotes on repainting the bumpers. Both the front and rear bumpers have some damage. They were repainted by under the previous owners care. The paint seems to crack when under pressure. So I am careful not to bump into them or press hard on them when waxing etc. The front bumper is covered in rock chips and has a large area where the bumper was dented in then popped out by one of the previous owners, resulting in a 5x5" area of missing paint, its covered in touch up paint now. The rear bumper had a couple small cracks when I purchased it, three or so more have appeared in one way or another recently. Anyway what would you say would be a decent price to repaint one, or both bumpers by a decent auto paint and body shop here in FL?

$300 sounds awfully low. I would expect to pay at least twice that amount for one bumper, and double that for two, minimum. I'm no expert though, so I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

Since you have a cracking base layer of paint, it will need to be stripped off. Sounds like you have some other damage as well. These DON'T sound like a scuff and shoot deal. It may be cheaper to start off with some new, repaired, or good used parts. Its the cost of new bumpers vs. the shop rate to salvage what you have. Then add materials, which are not cheap, and labor to prep and paint.

Put your money into a Roth IRA and don't waste your money repainting bumpers on an old car. Aftermarket paint will be just as likely to chip and crack as what you currently have, and in a year it will look as bad as it does now.

Last I was quoted 600 for new bumper painted and installed and blended into neighboring panels.

So that would be the high end. Found a place on the internet that mailed me a new bumper, painted and shipped for around 200. That car was dark gray, bumper matched perfectly. Couldn't find them when I looked recently, which is a shame.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Put your money into a Roth IRA and don't waste your money repainting bumpers on an old car. Aftermarket paint will be just as likely to chip and crack as what you currently have, and in a year it will look as bad as it does now.

LOL +1, we are lucky that we have a guy who does body work and has 40+ years of experience, this guy is mindless with everything but his creativity with body work is AMAZING, all the cars he has repaired or painted for us (6 years the oldest paint from his job) still looks new...and I mean brand spanking new.

His labor for us is free of charge or if my uncle is not around then "really cheap"

Originally Posted By: dishdude

I think this is a good philosophy. But my preference is to take care of my things and keep them longer. An eight year old car could easily go another 8... if you take care of it. If the bumpers get ratty and the interior torn you'll want out sooner which IMO is more expensive than things like this. Putting 500 bucks a year into a car to keep it in great shape saves you a ton of money if that results in you keeping it longer. Of course, you'll never see any of that back if you sell. But the cost of a painted bumper is probably less than two car payments (keep this car two months longer than you would otherwise and it's a wash).

Is this in reference to the 125000 mile Honda.

If so leave it. The whole car is barely worth what your going to spend on paint.

Who paints an appliance anyway

Not like they will rust right

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy

If so leave it. The whole car is barely worth what your going to spend on paint.

Your charger is only worth about another grand or two more than that Accord.

Would you feel the same way if your bumper was damaged and needed work? I think not...

Who paints a Dodge anyways

Probably break down before it leaves the paint booth

An eye for an eye...

J
Originally Posted By: hypervish
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Your charger is only worth about another grand or two more than that Accord.

Would you feel the same way if your bumper was damaged and needed work? I think not...

Who paints a Dodge anyways

Probably break down before it leaves the paint booth

An eye for an eye...

Right. Because I started a thread about my paint.

You obviously have no idea what your talking about if you think I could care less about a scratched bumper or chipped paint.

So your eye for an eye stuff doesn't make any sense since I'm not crying about my appliance,nor do I care about cracked paint.

Wanna try again

Given the damage issues you've had recently, it might be better if you remove and refit the bumpers yourself, and have a shop paint them. This would save you some money on labor costs, and prevent you being worried about the car while it's away for a couple of days.

As for price, generally with paint you get what you pay for, a good result takes time, and time costs you money!

Originally Posted By: JetStar
Since you have a cracking base layer of paint, it will need to be stripped off. Sounds like you have some other damage as well. These DON'T sound like a scuff and shoot deal. It may be cheaper to start off with some new, repaired, or good used parts. Its the cost of new bumpers vs. the shop rate to salvage what you have. Then add materials, which are not cheap, and labor to prep and paint.

This. If the bumper was poorly prepped before the repaint a reputable shop won't just re-spray it because they won't warranty their paint over a [censored] prior job. The correct repair would be to strip any cracked or peeling paint first then refinish. Figure 2-4 hours prep per cover at $42-$60ish per hour depending on your location. Paint labor and materials are another $68-100/hour and it's about 3 hours labor to paint a cover. You'd be better off starting with a new cover or getting one pre-painted online and installing yourself. Or just live with it since it's a higher mileage car going on 10 years old.

Last edited:
For a decent job it runs about $450/bumper locally. That means removed, resurfaced/patched, painted with correct paint and reinstalled.

Not sure how long you are keeping this car but you may be able to get away with less. The big issue is fade at different rate then body paint with lessor paint jobs and it looks horrid and obvious(IMHO worst) then a scratched up one.

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
Originally Posted By: JetStar

This. If the bumper was poorly prepped before the repaint a reputable shop won't just re-spray it because they won't warranty their paint over a [censored] prior job. The correct repair would be to strip any cracked or peeling paint first then refinish. Figure 2-4 hours prep per cover at $42-$60ish per hour depending on your location. Paint labor and materials are another $68-100/hour and it's about 3 hours labor to paint a cover. You'd be better off starting with a new cover or getting one pre-painted online and installing yourself. Or just live with it since it's a higher mileage car going on 10 years old.

THIS....cracked and crackled paint WILL show through the NEW paint and clearcoat and will have to be entirely refinished if the prep is not done correctly.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
For a decent job it runs about $450/bumper locally. That means removed, resurfaced/patched, painted with correct paint and reinstalled.

Not sure how long you are keeping this car but you may be able to get away with less. The big issue is fade at different rate then body paint with lessor paint jobs and it looks horrid and obvious(IMHO worst) then a scratched up one.

Plan on keeping it at least another 5 years, if not longer.

Well I just got back from getting estimates from three local shop. The least expensive quote was $1300 for both. Guess Ill be waiting a while!

What is the cause of the paint cracking on this car? Is it because it repainted to begin with? Why would you repaint it again?

The only place where paint is cracked on my 99 Camry is where it was repaired. It cracked in 2-3 years. There is effectively no real recourse/warranty. I am also not somebody who is going to go crazy about paint cracking on a 15 year old car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back