Ryobi string trimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Ryobi 26CC string trimmer. It runs on half choke but dies when I switch the lever over to Run. Any ideas what this could be?

It sounds like it's not getting enough fuel...and when you open the choke, it quits because the air/fuel ratio becomes too lean. These little mini carburetors can sometimes be hard to diagnose...I know some who simply replace them rather than try to rebuild them.

Is the fuel fresh? I had the same issue with my trimmer and it was bad gas. The funny thing was my chainsaw was running just fine with fuel mix from the same can.

Have you adjusted the mixture screws?

Usually the have a special bit (which you could also purchase on ebay) or you can use a dremel with a cutting wheel to cut a slot in the end of the screws and use a flathead to turn them.

If you buy a new carb you'll need the tool, so you might as well buy it first and then a carb if need be.

Agreed with above, you're too lean.

First things first, run good fresh fuel in it in the recommended fuel ratio (40:1 ?). A can of Trufuel will last almost a year on a regular homeowner lot. Great stuff.

If you are still having problems it is likely gunked up with ethanol gunk, pretty common problem.

I dumped out the old gas and filled it up with fresh non-ethanol and she runs great now! Thanks again BITOG!

Depends how much is left. I'd use it in a lawn mower and add some regular gas.

Could also put it in your vehicle next time you fill up, especially if its a full size truck or SUV. Should delute the mixed gas so that you won't experience any side affects.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Pour it in with your used oil and re-cycle it at your local parts store.

Do not do this.
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: Jeffy_D
Depends how much is left. I'd use it in a lawn mower and add some regular gas.

Could also put it in your vehicle next time you fill up, especially if its a full size truck or SUV. Should delute the mixed gas so that you won't experience any side affects.

After my 4 cycle OPE ethanol gas sits for 6+/- months I run it in my truck's 30 gallon fuel tank, never a problem. If I have 2 cycle fuel mix left at the end of the season I'll also run that in the truck, again no problems.

Whimsey

I had a weed trimmer and leaf blower do this just before they stopped running altogether. I found that the head bolts were loose. Once I tightened them up, they ran/ started without any further problems. May be worth a check.

Originally Posted By: fisher83
Now the only real question is what can I do with the old stale 2 cycle mixed fuel?

I combined the stale mix I had with what was already in the tank of my mower and cut the grass. Ran just fine, but my old mower is not finnicky about fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back