2012 Honda Civic - PP 0w20 12,637 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't look bad to me. What's wrong with this report?

I'm not a long OCI fanboy....because I'm a firm believer that oil analysis results can look great, but the engine could have experienced a high degree of wear.

Just because the report only shows a little iron, aluminum, and lead, doesn't mean that the an engine didn't experience significant amounts of wear. I'm not saying your engine did, btw.

But if you "believe" in oil analysis reports in telling you when to change your oil, then this report looks pretty darn decent for 12k miles.

Last edited:
Well I suppose I'm worrying too much. Im used to much lower Iron and Aluminum. I was hoping to just get settled with 6 month oil changes and be done.

I don't see anything wrong with that UOA report, its typical of R18 engines to shed that much iron and aluminum from the UOA I have read here...

my bother's 06 has 170k and it has used bulk oil from walmart for majority of it's life, they were at MM intervals, so a better oil will easily hold up for longer.

These are the pictures I took during a valve cover gasket replacement at 165k
20p56ck.jpg

2i7v70j.jpg

2bw12o.jpg

33e0x1l.jpg

Also, the high silicon was probably the fact that I ran the original air filter for 50k... Looked great considering the time on it. I did take it out every 6 months and inspect / vacuum and reinstall.

hard do tell without oxidation and nitration values but it looks OK on the surface.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
I don't see anything wrong with that UOA report, its typical of R18 engines to shed that much iron and aluminum from the UOA I have read here...

my bother's 06 has 170k and it has used bulk oil from walmart for majority of it's life, they were at MM intervals, so a better oil will easily hold up for longer.

These are the pictures I took during a valve cover gasket replacement at 165k

Looks great!! Looking down the fill hole, mine is clean as new so hopefully mine will look that good after another 100k.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Also, the high silicon was probably the fact that I ran the original air filter for 50k... Looked great considering the time on it. I did take it out every 6 months and inspect / vacuum and reinstall.

50k on an air filter isn't by itself a cause for high silicone. In fact, an air filter (any filter) will work better as it loads up, until the point of failure. If the filter was damaged or of poor construction, then obviously that would do it. Also, a bad practice to get into is taking it out before replacement. The seal will not work as well then and can lead to dirt intrusion.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

50k on an air filter isn't by itself a cause for high silicone. In fact, an air filter (any filter) will work better as it loads up, until the point of failure. If the filter was damaged or of poor construction, then obviously that would do it. Also, a bad practice to get into is taking it out before replacement. The seal will not work as well then and can lead to dirt intrusion.

+1, leave it in there and forget about it, don't vacuum it, your defeating the purpose of having a loaded filter. I just replaced an old air filter seal just now, still keeping the old air filter rather then new ones!

That is the problem. Don't play with the air filter.

Thanks folks! I didn't realize the seal issue on the air filter. I'll definitely leave the one in here for the long haul.

So the UOA is not as bad as I thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back