Oil Change Interval for low use vechicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
With mileages that small I'd run a minimum of 2 years and forget the miles if staying with Amsoil.
3 years could be do-able if the oil DOESNT accumulate too much fuel or condensation

Originally Posted By: Clevy
With mileages that small I'd run a minimum of 2 years and forget the miles if staying with Amsoil.
3 years could be do-able if the oil DOESNT accumulate too much fuel or condensation

Yeah and what does Amsoil say about the 2 year OCI being promoted here throughout this thread ?

Originally Posted By: virginoil

Yeah and what does Amsoil say about the 2 year OCI being promoted here throughout this thread ?

Officially they suggest x amount of miles or 1 year which ever comes first don't they? But on this site longer intervals with a UOA to back it up has been suggested many times over the years, with Amsoil as well as other brands.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Officially they suggest x amount of miles or 1 year which ever comes first don't they? But on this site longer intervals with a UOA to back it up has been suggested many times over the years, with Amsoil as well as other brands.

I would stick withe OEM or the oil manufacturers recommendation here 12 months maximum period.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I would stick withe OEM or the oil manufacturers recommendation here 12 months maximum period.

I agree if the vehicle is under warranty. Out of warranty lots of people have successfully gone over a year. My last OCI for my van was 18 months and about 3,500 miles. I've gone 2 years on rare occasions w/o issue. It depends, and as with everything Bitog opinions vary.

While most of my trips are less than 10 miles I do few 150+ miles treks during the year.

The truck sits in the garage most of it's life now and I plan on keeping it for a long time.

14347526775_6fe6925b1f_b.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. I'll bet that baby stays parked inside during PA winters. Use synthetic and change it every 2 years.

The key here is trips less that 10 miles. This is exactly like my wife's RAV4. Since she lost her job a few years ago and went back to (online) school, she only drives about 3k miles per year. I thought quality synthetic oil every 12-14 months was good enough. I just changed oil this weekend and there was a film of very soft sludge on the oil fill baffle. I wiped it with ease. This made me think.

The good news is she found a new job after graduation and started driving more again.

I would use PYB and the OEM oil filter and change it once a year. No need to do anything crazy if it isn't driven that much. If there is an extended period between fill ups you might want to consider a fuel stablizer as well to make sure nothing spoils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back