Oil pressure sensor location

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2L turbo. I currently have a remote mount oil filter that has a sandwich plate between the filter and adapter. I am using this for my oil temperature and oil pressure sensor locations.

The sandwich adapter ports are before the filter or on the outside of the oil filter.

I am getting rid of the remote mount and will move the sandwich plate back to the OEM location where I have also installed a Ford Taurus SHO oil/ coolant heat exchanger. This has done a good job of moderating the oil temp.

So yesterday I moved the pressure sensor down to where the OEM pressure switch is with a tee and other fittings. As I suspected the pressure readings are lower after the filter than before.

Here's what I got the other day on the old set up.

Oil temp 188F, 5w30 Mobil 1 oil with 4000 miles on it and a Baldwin B228 which has a 30 psi bypass spec. The Hyundai oil pump will bypass around 80 lbs.

Old location
idle 750 rpms 30 lbs
1500 rpms 58 lbs
2000 rpms 66-67 lbs
3000 rpms 69-70 lbs
4000 rpms 73-74 lbs
7000 rpms 80 lbs (pump bypass active)

New location same oil, temp 188F
idle 730 rpms 29-31 lbs
1500 rpms 50-51 lbs
2000 rpms 54-55 lbs
2500 rpms 55-56 lbs
3000 rpms 56-57 lbs
3500 rpms 57-58 lbs
4000 rpms 58-59 lbs
4500 rpms 59-60 lbs
5000 rpms 59-60 lbs
7000 rpms 72-73 lbs

Quite interesting and I'll have to look at the sandwich adapter when I change over to be sure the ports are all on the outside of the filter.

If the bypass valve is between the oil pump and the filter and that area restricts the oil flow just a bit the pressure reading will be higher than taking a reading after the filter where there is less downstream back pressure.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If the bypass valve is between the oil pump and the filter and that area restricts the oil flow just a bit the pressure reading will be higher than taking a reading after the filter where there is less downstream back pressure.

Which makes me leery of high pressure bypass rated filters. The factory one is a 20 lb rated. The one I am going to is a 8-9 lb wix.

I think I'm loosing heat too with the remote filter. I expect some slightly higher numbers. Seldom gets to 190F now.

Well the pressure is higher at the redline around 7000 rpm. Saw over 91 lbs for a microsecond.

The oil temp did go up about 5F. The aftermarket gauge sender reads the oil coming out of the heat exchanger "cold" and the OEM oil temp (OBDII) reads the hot oil up at the cams. When the car is running hard the spread is greatest between them, at idle the spread closes up.

The pressure is interesting as the new filter has a much lower bypass setting of 8-9lbs vs the 30 lbs for the filter I had. I wonder if the lower the bypass pressure the higher the maximum oil pressure?

Since moving the temp sensors and getting rid of the remote filter mount there have been some surprising readings for the temperature.

I now have a temp sensor on the oil out side of the filter adapter. And I have the factory one up near the overhead cam solenoid.

The temp when cold will be higher at the filter adapter until the oil warms up then it will be lower for the most part, around 10F to 20F. This is with a oil/coolant heat exchanger mounted on the filter adapter, the filter screws on to the Hx.

But if I let the engine idle once fully warmed up the temps will equalize near the higher reading of the OEM sensor. I guess the oil coming from the pan is cooled quite a bit (10F-20F) from the pan and filter adapter when moving. Same with the remote filter I took off. That dropped the oil temp about the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back