Aluminium rim and excess torque, is it ruined?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started to change winter tyres just to notice, that tyre shop had shoot way over with torque. 100-150 % over spec maybe. They agreed to do the swap for free, but are the rims dead by now?

Doubt it, how does the seating area for lug nuts look. That little torque should not hurt them. People way overshoot torque with impact Wrenches without hurting wheels.

Last edited:
So, if specs is 90 ft lbs, they used 180 to 225 ft lbs?

Look for cracks around the stud holes.
Also, on your install check the torque after 100 miles. If the torque is good, you should be ok.

Thank you for the replies/suggestions.

Tightening torque should have been around 120 Nm / 90 ftlb, and I estimated that it must have been at least double than that, as I used 3 ft torque rod trying to opening them without success. Torque wrench in car's tool kit is about 10 inch long!

There's no visible cracks to be seen around the seating area, but I'll soon check how they are holding.

Originally Posted By: Nebroch
Thank you for the replies/suggestions.

Tightening torque should have been around 120 Nm / 90 ftlb, and I estimated that it must have been at least double than that, as I used 3 ft torque rod trying to opening them without success. Torque wrench in car's tool kit is about 10 inch long!

There's no visible cracks to be seen around the seating area, but I'll soon check how they are holding.

WOAH? 3 foot and you couldn't break em? what the? either they OVER torqued more then your saying or you didn't apply enough force yourself.

I use the air impact to tighten and loosen lug nuts all the time, its very easy to not over tighten (you have to not be an idiot), go evenly across. Most people working at these places are obviously not the brightest of the bunch, there is a reason they are willing to take these low paying jobs or settle for them, unless your an underachiever.

If the tires have been on a while, corrosion can "lock" the lug to the rim as well, even if they lugs were installed at the proper torque. I got a nail in the back tire on my Focus last week and corrosion around the lugs wouldn't let go of the rim. I had to pump up the tire a bit and drop the car and drive around for a minute in the parking lot with loose lugs to get the rim to come off...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
If the tires have been on a while, corrosion can "lock" the lug to the rim as well, even if they lugs were installed at the proper torque. I got a nail in the back tire on my Focus last week and corrosion around the lugs wouldn't let go of the rim. I had to pump up the tire a bit and drop the car and drive around for a minute in the parking lot with loose lugs to get the rim to come off...

wow what a risk free and safe alternative

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Most people working at these places are obviously not the brightest of the bunch, there is a reason they are willing to take these low paying jobs or settle for them, unless your an underachiever.

Paint with a broad brush much? Auto Mechanics is one of the trades with a clear path from entry level to bigger and better things. Sure there are burnouts but that "grease monkey" might be in night school to become a master tech, etc.

Compared to trying to kick a tire off, without kicking the car off the emergency jack, I thought it was quite a risk free and safe alternative. I didn't jump on the interstate to loosen it up at 85mph... I could have called CAA but I wanted to drop the tire off to be repaired before closing time.
The lugs were all on, a turn away from contact, so the tire wasn't gong to fall off and roll dangerously away at 5mph...

WOAH? 3 foot and you couldn't break em? what the? either they OVER torqued more then your saying or you didn't apply enough force yourself.

Sockets that I use aren't very good, so I was bit cautios and did not stand on the rod to make more damage. That +100 % over spec torque is an educated guess.

They were installed in june so there shouldn't be much of corrosion.

Sockets that I use aren't very good, so I was bit cautios and did not stand on the rod to make more damage. That +100 % over spec torque is an educated guess.

OH, I'm not sure if others have had bad experience with it or not, but in the past, I have stood on/used my legs to break the lug nuts when I didn't have access to power tools. Changing out tires at the side of the road of course!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Most people working at these places are obviously not the brightest of the bunch, there is a reason they are willing to take these low paying jobs or settle for them, unless your an underachiever.

Paint with a broad brush much? Auto Mechanics is one of the trades with a clear path from entry level to bigger and better things. Sure there are burnouts but that "grease monkey" might be in night school to become a master tech, etc.

I did say some can be UNDERACHIEVER!

maybe I'm painting with a broad brush but "generally" it's true and if your not willing to accept that then I truly feel sorry for you.

If a Lug Nut is torqued to 90 Ft Lbs,
How much torque is required to remove it ? ? ?
I would think a little over the 90 Lbs.
But obviously the OP says way over.

I would also look to see if any of the aluminum was 'mushroomed' along the edges.

I have steel rims which may be more forgiving.

I forgot to add that I put on the rims in late April, so they didn't even see road salt since then. I think once corrosion starts, it doesn't take long to make its effects known.

you would be surprised how many times that has been done before.

Hard to argue with effective. I figure, those studs are sized "just in case" a wheel gets loose. I've done that several times.

Will say the last time I used a 3 jaw gear puller, luckily the steel rim had the lightening holes in the right spots. Worked great right up until it broke free--for some reason I was using the open end on the wrench, and of course it popped off and I clocked myself with it. Never did that while running the salom with loose lugnuts.

Atleast that's a better option than banging the rim with something like some do. Luckily I've never had a jammed rim.

Atleast that's a better option than banging the rim with something like some do. Luckily I've never had a jammed rim.

I have only experienced rear drum brakes being jammed up, we just smack the tire with a hammer hard enough and if that doesn't work a realllllly long (actual) pry bar works wonders.

Obviously I'm talking about my own cars, no intention of smacking someone else tires hard enough with a hammer.

Originally Posted By: abycat

you would be surprised how many times that has been done before.

Been there, done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back