2008 Pontiac G6 Steering problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who has the car in the title; she says the steering starts jerking from one side to the other, and the steering wheel occasionally will shake and jerk from side to side whole stopped, like the power steering is going bonkers. I know this particular car has electric power steering assist; I'm not sure whether that means the entire thing is electric or it has an electric hydraulic pump. It sound to me given the symptoms she describes, like the electric motor is turning on and off.

There is a recall for this vehicle for the problem; the recall is for a torque sensor and EPS sensor controller. She had it done at the dealer and it didn't fix the problem.

Does anyone know anything else about this problem and what might be wrong?

Thanks for any information.

She needs to take it back and have them verify that the torque sensor is calibrated properly. Many will not calibrate off the shelf, and GM knows this. Last Friday we put THREE of them in the same car before we got one that would calibrate properly.

Thanks Ranger! Could you elaborate a bit on exactly how the power steering in these cars works??? What does the torque sensor do?

Do you know of any other issues with the steering on these cars? IE, if it isn't the torque sensor, does the electric motor need replacing? I even read something online that if all else fails, they replace the entire steering column?

Thanks again for any information.

It's an unavoidable problem with technology in cars.
If you want a 100% guaranteed effective and totally foolproof solution, install a manual rack and pinion. It'll last a whole lot longer with a whole lot less problems.

Manual rack isn't an option for todays cars.Just goes to prove,todays vehicles are doomed to live a predetermined age and no more,either thru unavailability of parts or owners unwillingness to spend thousands on high tech pieces and factory trained programming/diagnostics.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Manual rack isn't an option for todays cars.Just goes to prove,todays vehicles are doomed to live a predetermined age and no more,either thru unavailability of parts or owners unwillingness to spend thousands on high tech pieces and factory trained programming/diagnostics.

It might not be an option on the options list when you buy a new car but that's not to say you can't make a manual rack from another car fit...it only takes a tape measure (and possibly dabbing up a couple brackets)

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Thanks Ranger! Could you elaborate a bit on exactly how the power steering in these cars works??? What does the torque sensor do?

Do you know of any other issues with the steering on these cars? IE, if it isn't the torque sensor, does the electric motor need replacing? I even read something online that if all else fails, they replace the entire steering column?

My basic understanding is that the torque sensor tells the controller/motor how much assistance to provide based on the position of the steering shaft and how much force is being applied. The sensor goes around the shaft and aligns with a key on the shaft.

It used to be an integral part of the column, but GM got tired of replacing columns I guess, so they came up with a service kit for the recall.

The motor controller/motor may be bad as well and is addressed in the recall. It's just not a reliable system on these cars.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM460448/RCRIT-14V153-1871P.pdf

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

My basic understanding is that the torque sensor tells the controller/motor how much assistance to provide based on the position of the steering shaft and how much force is being applied. The sensor goes around the shaft and aligns with a key on the shaft.

It used to be an integral part of the column, but GM got tired of replacing columns I guess, so they came up with a service kit for the recall.

The motor controller/motor may be bad as well and is addressed in the recall. It's just not a reliable system on these cars.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM460448/RCRIT-14V153-1871P.pdf

That is nice. my Malibu went through 3 steering shafts before we got one that stuck. What a pain (in the wallet.)

Thanks Ranger. I'll see if they will change the power steering motor.

You're welcome. They should have the motors in stock. The torque sensors are the most problematic part, but we keep multiple motors on the shelf for a reason.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher

That is nice. my Malibu went through 3 steering shafts before we got one that stuck. What a pain (in the wallet.)

If you paid out of pocket to fix it before the recall, you can get reimbursed for it...

CUSTOMER REIMBURSEMENT - For US
Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs for the recall condition are to be submitted to the dealer by July 31, 2015, unless otherwise specified by state law. If this is not convenient for the customer, they may mail the completed Customer Reimbursement Request Form and all required documents to the GM Customer Assistance Center.

All reasonable and customary costs to correct the condition described in this bulletin should be considered for reimbursement. Any questions or concerns should be reviewed with your GM representative prior to processing the request.

When a customer requests reimbursement, they must provide the following:
 A completed Customer Reimbursement Request Form. This form is mailed to the customer or can be obtained through GM GlobalConnect.
 The name and address of the person who paid for the repair.
 Paid receipt confirming the amount of the repair expense, a description of the repair, and the person or entity performing the repair.

IMPORTANT: GM requires dealers to approve or deny a reimbursement request within 30 days of receipt. If a reimbursement request is approved, the dealer should immediately issue a check to the customer and submit an appropriate warranty transaction for the incurred expense. If a reimbursement request is denied, the dealer MUST provide the customer with a clear and concise explanation, in writing, as to why the request was denied. The bottom portion of the Customer Reimbursement Request Form may be used for this purpose. If the denial was due to missing documents, the customer can resubmit the request when the missing documents are obtained, as long as it is still within the allowed reimbursement period.

Warranty transactions for customer reimbursement of previously paid repairs are to be submitted as required by GM Global Warranty Management. Additional information can also be found in Warranty Administration Bulletin 11-00-89-004.

She needs to take it back and have them verify that the torque sensor is calibrated properly. Many will not calibrate off the shelf, and GM knows this. Last Friday we put THREE of them in the same car before we got one that would calibrate properly.

Yes, Exactly the same thing here in WI... What a load of cr ap !
The "repair" parts are basically no better than the cr ap that is in there now !!

So tired of the GM "cheap- a.s.s" way of repairing things/recalls !!

BurrWinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back