Automatic transmission not shifting in 1986 Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.

crw

In my truck, when its in drive it won't shift. It stays in first. If I put it in "2", it will shift into second gear.

I looked at the fluid about a year ago and it looked OK. I look at it now and it's very pale in color and dirty. I'm wondering if a pan drop and refill will salvage this transmission? Help me save a classic!

More info would be nice ..Mileage transmission etc.
Im an engine guy and don't know a whole lot about transmissions but my brother owned a trans shop for years before selling the business

Three speed automatic, ford. Unknown mileage with the five digit tumbler. I've owned it for about three years.

It could be worn out, but being a 3-speed, it's probably a C6...so maybe not.

I'd try a $15 vacuum modulator first. Your local parts store probably has one in stock. This was used to control shifting before electronic controls. It's mounted on the outside of the trans and is not a major replacement.

If it were my truck, I'd change the fluid, put a new modulator on, and see what happens.

Pull the pan off, and see if there is a bunch of garbage in the transmission pan. Sometimes when a transmission completely fails, there are whole parts of the transmission in the pan.

Since the truck is a 1986, know what ATF it takes. Many old Fords used "Type-F" which is much different from other transmission fluids. It may take "Type A" or Mercon, and in those cases, just get some Dex/Merc fluid from a known reputable oil company.

If you have a classic car and want to keep it all original, have the transmission rebuilt on-site at a reputable transmission shop. Make sure they use your transmission as a core for rebuilding. Sometimes you can have the shop upgrade the transmission to improve durability without having any effect on the way the car drives.

Three or four drain&fills could help bring it back before you tear into it...and if they don't, we'll you haven't lost anything and you may just save yourself some time and effort...

Had a similar issue on an 86 Grand Marquis, it turned out the 1-2 spring in the valve body was weak....installed a h.d. shift kit, and it shifted like new for the remaining time I had it. Thus was with the 4 speed o.d. unit though.

That would use Dex III.Look at the kickdown rod too.And check vacuum line to modulator.

That would use Dex III.Look at the kickdown rod too.And check vacuum line to modulator.

Could be valve body gummed up. When you do the pan drop and refill, throw "something special" in. Lubegaurd gets praise but I'd try anything.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY

This. Verify kickdown/TV linkage is happy before you do anything else.

Originally Posted By: punisher
Originally Posted By: NHGUY

This. Verify kickdown/TV linkage is happy before you do anything else.

Thanks. I'll see what I can do. I'm 49 (more than half my driving life is over) and have never had a automatic transmission problem before. I always drive older, used vehicles. I guess there's a first time for everything.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Did you check for codes?

Funny
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back