That Oil Change Smell That Lingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BHopkins

Your confessions gave me a good laugh. All of us with a Subaru can relate the the gear oil story. It's tough to do both front and read differential without spilling.

Sadly, that was not my only bad moment with gear oil. I decided to use a single-piston linear pump (or whatever it's called) that had been sitting for a couple of years in a couple of bags, in one of my tool bags. I needed this pump in order to angle up and into the manual tranny on my '08 STI, which has it's drain and fill ports on the side of the transmission, and is most easily accessed (so far as I know) from the bottom.) Well, the pump gave two or three good pumps into the transmission before leaking like a sieve! I tried using rags and bags and operating as quickly and smoothly as I could, but I ended up with a good amount of gear oil on me and on the deck. Redline NS GO stinks, btw. It's not as bad as some high-sulfur Coastal a buddy used a while back (cheapest he could find for his rear diff,) but it was close. Motul Gear 300 and Mobil 1, which I've also used on a few occasions didn't stink nearly as bad, FWIW.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I changed the trans fluid in the Challenger this weekend, and managed to get a lot more ATF+4 on me than I wanted (its a manual trans- Tremec TR6060- but uses ATF). Its got a nice big drain plug, but it drains right on the transmission crossmember, so it splatters a lot. I even made a catch chute out of an old oil bottle, but it lapped over the side when i first opened the plug. :-/

My watch band still smells a little like ATF this morning. Glad its not an offensive smell, just kinda "petroleumy." And this after washing the watch in detergent, as well as spraying the band with Brakleen and wiping it down. I'm impressed with the film strength of ATF+4 for sure... :p

"petroleumy? I read that like, "petroly yummy."
crackmeup2.gif

The oil drain plug on my '14 Foz drains out right on the cross-member unless you're absolutely perfect about getting the plug to the last thread and YANKING it away, allowing NO spray around the plug (read: impossible to do.) I'm glad I had a Fumoto drain valve ready for the first oil change.

The location of the valve is still kind of tucked up in there, which is why I got my hand wetted while trying to close the valve, but causes zero mess at all if you do it correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back