PSD 6.0l Boron,Sodium,Silicon.. What ya think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just had a bunch of work done to my truck. I had new studs put in, head gaskets, standpipes, STC fitting, new oil cooler etc. So basically the engine has a bunch of new metal and rubber gaskets within it. As you may or may not know, the cab has to come off and the heads are removed and machined. So Im going to guess the thing that grabs my attention is the Boring and Sodium for a coolant flag... Blackstone says its not GREAT but not terrible. The Silicon can be the gaskets, as they said. I did have Archoil in the first sample,not since then. You can see its decline.

what do you guys think here? Could the coolant, dirt and some grime made its way into the motor from the mechanics handling the heads and just working on the engine in general? Thus showing a false positive for coolant and dirt ( bad air filter )... I havent had any issues prior to this ( the work was done at 58k miles, just after the 57k mile UOA. Then I did this 1800mile UOA to check for fuel dilution. Since my injectors were redone, I wanted to make sure that they o-rings used to seal them are working right. They are prone to rolling or knicking during install.

So yeah, thats where Im at. Im going to drain and refill with T6 again to keep it baselined. Then Im going to do another drain and refill at 1800 miles and see where we are at. If its a headgasket issue, I have a warranty on the job and the truck is going to go back in.

Do you think its a leaking coolant issue, or just residual?

thanks fellas.

xr7kp.jpg

Metals look good?
confused.gif

Take a look at the UOA's of member roadrunner1. Over the same distance, your iron wear is well over 200% greater than his!

I'll quote:
"The only time(s) I have ever seen an 5,000mi. OCI needed was when I used the Shell T6 5w-40. I am not bashing the product, but it didn't hold up in my application. The results came back and I was shocked at the results, increased wear,and lower viscosity than what the 10w-30 was after 7,500mi. OCI."

As for the contaminants, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape -- the engine has just been apart, and a new oil cooler has been added to the mix.

I know.. metals are higher than ive seen. I dont get it either lol. I was going to change oil type/brand but wanted to keep the oil the same so that wouldnt been another wrench in the problem.

so you think possibly the boron, silicon and sodium could be just from the new parts being installed and dirt etc getting into the motor from the rebuild?

here is the full report

346ss5d.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
I dont get it either

If roadrunner1 doesn't jump in this thread, contact him directly. He's demonstrated actual success via analysis (not via theory, speculation, or seat of the pants hunch) that he knows how to minimize wear in these engines. Follow his advice exactly. Period.

The thing Im hung up on is running 10w30 in my area. I dont tow, so internal engine heat isnt an issue. Thus ambient temps also not playing a part. My oil temps dont get over 205 MAX...

Quote:
so you think possibly the boron, silicon and sodium could be just from the new parts being installed and dirt etc getting into the motor from the rebuild?

Boron is a multi-functional additive.

Silicon is coming from the new silicone sealant.

Sodium is some coolant that got into the CC during rebuild. Sometimes, you see sodium in a VOA as an alternative detergent.

What does the VOA of this oil show?

Last edited:
Nothing is near as high as I have here for the VOA. I did check that. But I also noticed that even different years of the same oil, the VOA changes.. I do know that they change add. packs when they choose to...

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
Nothing is near as high as I have here for the VOA. I did check that. But I also noticed that even different years of the same oil, the VOA changes.. I do know that they change add. packs when they choose to...

Exactly, which I why I always suggest getting a recent VOA.

Need to get some recent info from VOAs.

Also, one UOA isn't really telling.

You've had work done and this could be residual from those efforts.

I'm a big fan of not collecting data until things are given a chance to normalize.

I would have recommended getting the work done, then run several short dino OCIs (perhaps 500 miles) to flush out stuff. Then choose an oil and run a few longer OCIs and see what trending occurs.

I just honestly think it's too early to really take any stock in the data yet.

I'd bet your sodium is coolant left over from the head work. I'd do another run and see what you get next time, while keeping a close eye on the coolant level. The milling on the heads needs to be super smooth for new MLS gaskets, 10 ra. And while the heads can be fine, the block can have issues. It is worth making sure it is true,flat and smooth also. Hopefully the mechanic did not just wire wheel the block to clean it up.
In my experience, as well as a few others, that the 6.0 does better on 10w30 than the 5w40's. It goes in a 30, and comes out a 30. I like Delo, but have had very similar results from Rotella and Brad-Penn. YMMV.

Last edited:
Yeah Im going to switch to 10w30 here soon. Also, I went to Maryland Performance Diesel. They do tons of 6.0s there and have not had any issues that Ive heard of. Even from guys locally and on the forums... They are pretty good on the 6.0 motors.

Newton,
Do you recommend to just run ANY 10w30 diesel oil and jsut change out at 500 miles but LEAVE the oil filter?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Boron is a multi-functional additive.

Silicon is coming from the new silicone sealant.

Sodium is some coolant that got into the CC during rebuild. Sometimes, you see sodium in a VOA as an alternative detergent.

What does the VOA of this oil show?

^--- This

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Need to get some recent info from VOAs.

Also, one UOA isn't really telling.

You've had work done and this could be residual from those efforts.

I'm a big fan of not collecting data until things are given a chance to normalize.

I would have recommended getting the work done, then run several short dino OCIs (perhaps 500 miles) to flush out stuff. Then choose an oil and run a few longer OCIs and see what trending occurs.

I just honestly think it's too early to really take any stock in the data yet.

^--- ...and this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back