Rotella full synth 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz

I have a triumph 1700 Tbird and i want to start using 10w-40 synth. But bike oil is so expensive i thought i'd inquire about this very inexpensive oil (especially for a full synth) because it seems like a lot of people like it. But the full synth rotella only comes in 5w-40 and i wonder about the 5w cold stat and wonder if thats something to worry about. I live in a warm climate and don't ride in anything but pretty warm weather, 60 and above. But when cold starting i wonder about 5w....could it actually be BETTER in my climate since it would circulate better on cold starts? Or would the viscosity be too un-protective and over ride the benefit of flow on cold starts? So that question and also your thoughts in general on this oil.

Last edited:
I don't see any problems with lubrication. I would be concerned with whether it is compatible with the clutch. Wet clutches are picky about oil.

Originally Posted By: daz
I have a triumph 1700 Tbird and i want to start using 10w-40 synth. But bike oil is so expensive i thought i'd inquire about this very inexpensive oil (especially for a full synth) because it seems like a lot of people like it. But the full synth rotella only comes in 5w-40 and i wonder about the 5w cold stat and wonder if thats something to worry about. I live in a warm climate and don't ride in anything but pretty warm weather, 60 and above. But when cold starting i wonder about 5w....could it actually be BETTER in my climate since it would circulate better on cold starts? Or would the viscosity be too un-protective and over ride the benefit of flow on cold starts? So that question and also your thoughts in general on this oil.

Why would a synthetic 40-weight HDEO oil (Rotella) EVER be "less protective" than another 40-weight synthetic oil? Unless the 10w40 has some add pack specific to bikes (wet clutch?) then I'd always go for the 5w40 over a 10w40, and a 0w40 over a 5w40.

I said on cold starts and therefore was referring to the 5w spec, not 40.

In your climate, I'd be using 15w-40. Rotella, Delo, Delvac... take your pick.

It doesn't get cold enough where you are to worry about 5w. The startup wear might be ever so slightly less, but not worth worrying about.

bandito is totally correct.

i lived in socal for 5 years and it never was colder than what 15w40 can handle...i would run ONLY that.

steve

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
5W40 rotella has lower HTHS compared to 15W40 or straight 40.
What is the OEM oil specification?

10-40 or 15-50, manual says either one.

This is my first year running 15W40 in my bike, so far it's been down to the mid 40s and it's had no trouble starting. I would think that the 15W40 would be perfect for southern california year round.

Both the 15W40 and 5W40 are ok for wet clutches, but the 15W40 is a little more shear stable from what I've seen, which should help with the shift feel towards the end of the OCI. Ultimately, for me, the potential extended OCI from a synthetic is wasted as I'm changing the oil due to poor shift quality at dino intervals.

Originally Posted By: montero1
T6 Rotella is JASO-MA...

Yep, you're good to go.

I just put T6 in my Concours 14 because I will be riding in the cold. Rotella T5 is semi syn and 15W-40 was added along with 10W-30. Use the T5 15W-40 or the regular 15W-40. Rotella, Delo, Delvac will work nice in the bike. Shell is the only one that says JASO-MA as spec, the others have been reported to work just fine without clutch slippage.

Hey man, I think I remember your handle from the Triumphrat forums, Dazco over there, right?

Anyway, liquid cooled Triumph twin in socal, I'd be using Rotella 15w40. I did a UOA comparison between Amsoil 10w40 and Rotella 15W40 in my F800S (liquid cooled parallel twin), and determined that Rotella was just fine for that bike in my duty cycle. Surely it would be fine for you, too. I still use Amsoil in other applications, and synthetic 5w40 HDEO in other applications yet, but the T-bird would prolly be well served by regular Rotella.

Triumph states in their manual to use semi synthetic or full synthetic oils in addition to a 10w40 or 10w50. So if your bike is still under warranty then I would stick to those specs until you are out of warranty.

Many people in the Triumph forums use automotive Mobil 1 15w50 which is available at wal mart in 5 quart jugs rather cheap. No reported clutch issues with it that I saw.

Last edited:
Thing is, i don't want to use blend, and the T6 is the only full synth they make, at least with a 40w hot number. I read a lot today and i think 5w is ok because i have 40,000 on it now and i really have a feel for what the bike's oil system is like. And i believe it;s weak point is getting oil to the parts on cold start. So i think 5w will help there because i feel it doesn't circulate oil well when cold. Just going by random noises it makes and when it does or doesn't make them during startup. In 40k miles i've come to get a read on this thing and i think the ability to circulate quicker and easier is more important for this machine than the oil's lubricating qualities on cold start. In other words, better to have 5w circulating on startup than nothing at all for who knows how long.... 10 seconds, whatever.

Anyways another question....how long generally does it take for an oil to change up from it's cold start weight to it's final weight? How about to get 1/2 way there? This is something that would be helpful to know in order to gauge what kind of warmup time i should do. The bike is a huge twin cruiser at 1700 which i assume means longer than say a sportie.

Oh, and yes wang, that would be me from RAT, tho i am no longer a member which was more my decision that those blank mods there.

Last edited:
On a warm summer day I would start it and let it run while you get your gear on. A minute or so should get the oil to the critical spots and being a 5w you would be able to get up and go quickly unlike with a 20w50.

I am unsure of the OCI on the T bird, but on my Speedy it is 6k miles according to the manual. Rotella 5w40 will not likely go nearly that long in a shared sump bike. It will shear out to a 30 weight in short order. I am thinking 2.5-3k miles tops.

Your in California. So cold start is a non issue.

I've got a 106 cubic inch v-twin. I've been running conventional rotella 15w-40 this entire season and is the best dollar for dollar "bike" oil out there.

Because your bike is a shared sump a 5w-40 with get sheared into water in shirt order. I've used it in my v-star before I bought my Harley and from experience I won't use it in a bike again.
3000 miles will be max oci regardless if your using conventional or the synthetic t-6 so why pay more for equal miles.

I'm typically a firm believer in following factory recommended viscosities and types, in this case with 10w40 or 15w50 being recommended I would not feel bad about using 15w40. As far as Triumph specifying synthetic or semi synthetic, full or semi-synthetic doesn't really say much, and seems like hokey guidance. API SH and JASO MA have some quantifiable characteristics, and plenty of non-synthetic oils meet those performance specs. It would be nice if Triumph would spell out what they are looking for in a "synthetic" oil.

Use what you want, but I don't see any value added by using T6 in this application.

Well when paid enough Triumph has been specific. When I got mine it had a "lubricated by Castrol" sticker on the engine. And in the manual is recommended Castrol RS Power 10w50.

Before that Mobil 15w50 was the named brand and viscosity mentioned.

Well when paid enough Triumph has been specific. When I got mine it had a "lubricated by Castrol" sticker on the engine. And in the manual is recommended Castrol RS Power 10w50.

Before that Mobil 15w50 was the named brand and viscosity mentioned.

Ok, you all convinced me. I'll pass on the 5w but now i need to find a 10w-40 synthetic thats not more expensive than gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back