What Benefit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. What benefit would an oil additive be if I run good synthetic oil in my truck. I am running PP
Thanks

Originally Posted By: Scrum67
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. What benefit would an oil additive be if I run good synthetic oil in my truck. I am running PP

Maybe a benefit... maybe none. What do you want to accomplish? Or, what problem or issue do you want to address?

PP = Penzoil Platinum?

Originally Posted By: Scrum67
Thanks

No benefit whatsoever. Its a modern engine, you're using a modern oil that is pretty well optimized for that type of engine

Different additives do different things. Some are supposed to reduce oil burning/smoking, some are supposed to provide more "engine protection," some are supposed to help clean up sludge, etc. WHICH additive(s) are you considering, and what do they claim they do?

I forgot How do you like the Ram? How are the MPGs .Shifting with the 8 speed etc. Drive it a bit more and give us a review as I am in the market for a new vehicle.

Adding a bit of ZDP 1/2 way through the oci wouldn't hurt. The ZDP gets consumed during EP episodes - and there is NOT a lot in there to begin with. Other than that, nothing. Unless someone started selling MoDTC instead of the non-preferred colloidal moly (Lubri Moly).

as you engine relatively new not much. in time when friction surfaces will rough, you will fill a difference. if your plans to keep over 300K KM; you can prolong engine life significantly starting to use additives now. Only small fraction of additives on the market will work; the rest mostly viscosity modificators. Additive at least should be chemically inert. I have a good result with liqui moly mos2; Again, when the oil film became broken then additives do the work. From reasonably expensive xenum Mox-G (ebay); archoil; on lower end liquid-moly mos2;

Don't wish to start a holy-war as discussion in the "additives" section; But making the same PP with the best protection additives would be a financial failure

Every v-8 engine I've ever added mos2 to got better mileage however I wouldn't even consider using it until after the engine has 10000?miles on it or so.

My 04 ram quad cab 4x4 got 22mpg on the highway with 4wd engaged consistently all winter after adding mos2 to the oil.
My 2001 sierra c3 has a 6.0 with over 325hp and over 375 torque and since adding mos2 I easily break 20mpg and its awd.
Mos2 is a great product however I wouldn't use it in a vehicle that sits for long periods of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back