Castrol 0W30 vs 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do realize folks in the VW world anyway have made claims that Castrol makes the engine run quieter. I just figured that for some reason the Castrol had better "acoustic" properties than other oils?

I have used M1 in my particular application for its decent specs excellent price point and excellent availability.

I have tried PU 5w40 and PU Euro 5w30. The M1 of this group netted the best MPGs and the only engine "noise" i hear are the injectors clacking. Maybe folks are mistaken what "engine" noise they are hearing and are really hearing something like the injectors whose "pitch" changes with temp etc.

Castrol is factory fill for VW amongst other manufacturers so can one say that Castrol would be better suited? Or that VW just gets a great deal on Castrol products?

Also EDYVW brought up a good point in which we don't even know which Castrol 0w40 we are getting.

Right now my local Wallyworld sells the Castrol 0w40 maybe next week they won't but what i do know is for the past 10 yrs M1 had been on the shelf in 5 qt jugs for an excellent price.

Would hate to try and love it and never be able to find it again or end up paying $11 a qt at the local auto parts store to keep it in the crank (at least in my area).

I would need this Castrol 0w40 to be the shizzle to take me away from the M1.

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Would hate to try and love it and never be able to find it again or end up paying $11 a qt at the local auto parts store to keep it in the crank (at least in my area).

"'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson

Originally Posted By: Apollo14

"'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson

Indeed...

but what i do know is for the past 10 yrs M1 had been on the shelf in 5 qt jugs

Walmart has only been carrying M1 0w-40 in 5 qt jugs for the past 2-3 years or so. Before it was only in 1 qt bottles.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Several? Not in the US there isn't.

There were several 0W40 castrols available in the EU long before they brought it to the US. Which one we are getting is unknown.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
All:

For the benefit of those interested, I will get a Blackstone VOA on BC 0W-30 and GC 0W-40. I already have a stash of sample containers and I already have both oils in my stash.

Give me a week or so to do this. The first half of my week is pretty crazy.

Scott

Save your money. They are the same other than VM treat

What you may see is a small difference as in March 2014 updated formulations were launched with Titanium. (Production is later though)

Originally Posted By: edyvw

There were several 0W40 castrols available in the EU long before they brought it to the US. Which one we are getting is unknown.

Many European 0W-40s are mid ash. The only one to go to the U.S. Is the A3/B4 high saps, this is simply a thicker version of GC. Although GC is now the same stuff just made somewhere else.

DE01 on fill code is Germany. BE is Belgium

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Many European 0W-40s are mid ash. The only one to go to the U.S. Is the A3/B4 high saps, this is simply a thicker version of GC. Although GC is now the same stuff just made somewhere else.

DE01 on fill code is Germany. BE is Belgium

Actually there were several A3 specs in Europe. Not Mid-SAPS, but High-SAPS. Also, there are different High-SAPS versions for Asia and other continents.
How we know that they are bringing particular version when their pds sheets are worthless?
Also going back to 0W30, considering better pour point of 0W30 (-56) and the fact that it is lighter (not much, but still) it was more interesting combination to use. Now 0W40 Castrol or M1 0W40? Well then I could at least support some guy here in the U.S. making oil if there is no clear advantage of castrol over M1.

They are the same other than VM treat

Bobby, what is "VM treat"?

Thanks,

Scott

PS I'll do the VOA anyway because I have a long history of spending money I don't need to. Haha.

Hello:

VOA samples to Blackstone were sent today, 2 day UPS. I'm having them test TBN as well.

Even though it's comparing an "one apple to two oranges", I sent in the following:

0W-20 Castrol Syntec Black Bottle
0W-30 Castrol Belgium
0W-40 Castrol German

Just an FWIW observation, all three samples had SAME EXACT appearance in the Blackstone bottles. In my well lighted garage and outside in the sun the three samples appeared IDENTICAL.

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Hello:

VOA samples to Blackstone were sent today, 2 day UPS. I'm having them test TBN as well.

Even though it's comparing an "one apple to two oranges", I sent in the following:

0W-20 Castrol Syntec Black Bottle
0W-30 Castrol Belgium
0W-40 Castrol German

Just an FWIW observation, all three samples had SAME EXACT appearance in the Blackstone bottles. In my well lighted garage and outside in the sun the three samples appeared IDENTICAL.

Scott

Thanx. It will be interesting to see it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
but what i do know is for the past 10 yrs M1 had been on the shelf in 5 qt jugs

Walmart has only been carrying M1 0w-40 in 5 qt jugs for the past 2-3 years or so. Before it was only in 1 qt bottles.

Walmart in my area has been carrying the 5 qt jugs since 2007 that I'm aware of. I used to buy my oil there when i tracked my Evo in 2007. Ironically the 1qt bottles i have never seen at my Walmart ha ha.

Jeff

What you may see is a small difference as in March 2014 updated formulations were launched with Titanium. (Production is later though)

So the 0w-40 uses titanium for the VM treat?

Originally Posted By: glxpassat

So the 0w-40 uses titanium for the VM treat?

Titanium is not used as a VM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back