Wakesurfing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm tired of saying "next summer" and have decided to take the plunge. I want to buy a used boat for wakesurfing/skiing. $15k is the upper end of my budget. Any advice for the best used wakesurfing boats on the market? Do I need to increase my budget?

If you are open to buying a used boat then $15k will be plenty. What is your budget for ongoing costs? Taxes, insurance, fuel, maintenance?

Honestly, I haven't calculated the ongoing costs. I am single and make $45,000 a year. I live in a small two bedroom apartment ($675) with no internet or cable and I have no car or student loan debt. I didn't foresee an issue with fuel/maintenance costs but if I'm being shortsighted, please correct.

The biggest ongoing expense will be slip and storage fees. Slip fees can range from reasonable to bonkers. Trailering the boat down the ramp is an option, but then a tow vehicle and storage for when it's not in use are required. Having a slip is convenient for using the boat, but costly.

Also, getting fuel at a given location can be a hassle. The nearest gas dock might be a few miles away, or a lake you really like doesn't have any gas docks. The gas dock is convenient, but you do pay handsomely for the privilege. Anywhere from 40 cents to a dollar over buying gas at the gas station. And, fueling a boat from 5-gallon cans is often awkward and precarious. This can be skipped by trailering the boat to the gas station on the way to the lake.

Lastly, don't forget to add fuel stabilizer to the last tank of the season to minimize fuel issues next spring.

Originally Posted By: Rand
if you are single who is driving the boat? or who is skiing?

Haha, good point. My sister-in-law loves boating but you couldn't pay my brother to go out on the lake. Their kids are 19, 14, and 10 and they always have friends they bring along. The two lakes I ski are 25 and 35 minutes away respectively so my plan was to trailer to lake each time. I have a spot to store the boat in my dad's backyard under cover. As far as tow vehicle, I was going to sell my Focus ($7000) and buy a Chevy Astro van (7 passenger van for 7 passenger boat). The goal being to put all money towards the boat, but if I have to toss in few grand to get the right tow vehicle, then so be it.

Originally Posted By: ac_tc
the focus can tow a 2000 Pound boat.

And how many trips to a boat ramp have you got? FWD is an even poorer choice of tow vehicle.

Only in Europe! Mine has 1000lb unbraked rating and that's it. I'm sure the new ones have no rating at all...
Smaller trailers here typically don't have brakes either which complicates things too. Anyways probably a focus could tow a 2000lb boat and trailer setup on the right ramps, maybe the odd time you'd need a couple people to sit on a fender to get enough traction to get out, but that would be very "uncool" so its not done.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Only in Europe! Mine has 1000lb unbraked rating and that's it. I'm sure the new ones have no rating at all...
Smaller trailers here typically don't have brakes either which complicates things too. Anyways probably a focus could tow a 2000lb boat and trailer setup on the right ramps, maybe the odd time you'd need a couple people to sit on a fender to get enough traction to get out, but that would be very "uncool" so its not done.

My old Neon could easily tow a one ton boat as well. On level ground, paved roads, no problemo.

But asking it to do the ramp duty would likely fry a clutch or overheat an automatic. If there was any water involved (what? at a BOAT ramp?) then there would be ugly wheelspin.

Not good...

Originally Posted By: outoforder
Honestly, I haven't calculated the ongoing costs. I am single and make $45,000 a year. I live in a small two bedroom apartment ($675) with no internet or cable and I have no car or student loan debt. I didn't foresee an issue with fuel/maintenance costs but if I'm being shortsighted, please correct.

Off topic here....but only $675 for a two bedroom? Wow...that's cheap.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

And how many trips to a boat ramp have you got? FWD is an even poorer choice of tow vehicle.

Mount a receiver in the front bumper
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back