Any experience with Pep Boys OEM brand coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep Boys sells this "OEM" brand coolant in a black jug for $20 in various colors similar to the coolant in late-model Asian cars (for example, they also have Honda Blue and Toyota Red.

Here is their pink coolant (recent Toyotas):
Pep Boys OEM Pink

The most significant aspect is that this seems to be the ONLY full-strength concentrate Toyota pink coolant available ANYWHERE--Zerex Asian, Pentofrost A4, and Toyota Pink OEM are strictly 50/50 ONLY

OEM-Extended-Life-Bottle-PINK_A.jpg

Originally Posted By: JustinH
A jug of premixed pink toyota coolant from the dealer was 24 dollars last week.

And that makes it roughly 2.5 times the cost of the OEM brand considering the Toyota stuff is pre-mixed.

I have a gallon of the OEM Blue waiting to go in the Pilot next week. I'll report out regarding its color and odor compared to the OEM Honda stuff then.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett

And that makes it roughly 2.5 times the cost of the OEM brand considering the Toyota stuff is pre-mixed.

+1, radiator drain and refill? since you only needed 1 gallon of 50/50.

I prefer the drain and refill with distilled water until clear or as long as you please. I do drive 25-50 miles between refills, going to and from work and then drain and refilling so most of the water DOES circulate. Then I add approximately 50% of the total cooling system capacity and top off with distilled water to get to 50/50 (obviously approximately). To me this seems like a good way to do a complete coolant flush, do this every 120k and your gonna be set!

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
I prefer the drain and refill with distilled water until clear or as long as you please. I do drive 25-50 miles between refills, going to and from work and then drain and refilling so most of the water DOES circulate. Then I add approximately 50% of the total cooling system capacity and top off with distilled water to get to 50/50 (obviously approximately). To me this seems like a good way to do a complete coolant flush, do this every 120k and your gonna be set!
This does clear old coolant more completely. But this is worse for corrosion protection compared to refilling with antifreeze and water immediately after draining. Silicate antifreeze is quick to reform corrosion protection. Non silicate not so, especially for cavitation of the water pump. Maybe less important if water pump has plastic blades.

Your telling me that I will have corrosion built up already in 3-5 days of driving with distilled water and doing D & R after a 25-50 miles drive? I personally don't know but that sounds un-real.

I just changed the FF pink coolant in my 2008 Corolla at 74K using the exact method that you tout. I refilled the 6.9 qt. system with 3.5 quarts of Peak Global Lifetime full strength and distilled water. I should be good for at least another 75K.

Originally Posted By: pbm

I just changed the FF pink coolant in my 2008 Corolla at 74K using the exact method that you tout. I refilled the 6.9 qt. system with 3.5 quarts of Peak Global Lifetime full strength and distilled water. I should be good for at least another 75K.

75k? easily, I think your good for longer, reason I say this is because before BITOG, I used to NEVER EVER change coolant or my family members, we had 170k+ on OEM coolant on all our cars and none leaked or had any over heating issues and their radiator and all the pipes are all genuine, and nothing is rusted from the inside...if oem coolant can do that then your method could easily last 120k, at least from my experience with more then 10 cars we have owned in the family.

Edit: 00 civic I drove from 40k to 320k that finally got a bad head-gasket from poor diagnosis from the mechanics of whether it was radiator/water pump/thermostat/cooling fans or their switches and it was driven constantly while it overheated from changing things out step by step. This is all when I was younger!

No personal experience with it yet but since I first read about it here back in March and done some research I've recommended it for Asian applications. Unlike the now majority premixed Asian oem AF's, it's a full strength Asian P-HOAT made by Recochem as noted above.

Also as noted above makes doing a distilled flush series till clear, adding full strength AF to 50% of system capacity then topping with distilled possible. Done it that way since distilled water has been recommend for aluminum blocks and heads with excellent results.

And bottom line, nice not paying for half water with other Asian PHOATs. Getting twice the coolant over a premix for a respectable price.

I was wondering the same. Do they match the Toyota brand coolant or Nissan brand coolant (blue) or the ones for the domestics well or no? Are they the same, or different and could they mix with stock Toyota brand coolant or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back