Rotella t6 0w40 bought by accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, like an idiot, accidentally bought the Rotella t6 0w40. I was not aware that there was a Rotella t6 other than the 5w40. I didn't notice until after I had the oil the engine. I have a 7.3 powerstroke and I am wondering is it okay for me to run this oil, or should I drain it and buy the t6 5w40 I usually use? I am ignorant when it comes to viscosities and other oil properties. I live in Minnesota, so the winters do get a bit cold. I appreciate all of your input. The knowledge possessed by the members on this forum is endless. Thank you again, and I will make sure to look closer at oil bottles in the future.
blush.gif

Jake

I think it'd be better in a powerstroke in the winter! 15w-40 takes a while to get flowing and causes them to start hard. I imagine 0w-40 would flow better yet.

Use with confidence. You may find it may be a little (.5 qt) low after a bit but that is normal. My buddy has the 6.7 and used 0w40 and had a little use. 5w40 corrected that

I do not know anything about the 7.3, I don't see how it would hurt though. You should have better cold starting characteristics with it. Only issue might be that it could shear more than the 5w40.

Yeah, you won't find it specified anywhere.

I would just run it. Thats a lot of fairly expensive oil to just throw out. Its getting into fall and winter anyway, if anything it would be very nice on the engine to pump it around when dead cold.
Like above, just watch for consumption.
How often do you change, normally?

My question is,
where did you find this stuff?

Last edited:
Dump it. Then send it to me. I'd love to try this in my bike during the winter, but I don't think I'll ever see it way down here.

Originally Posted By: Jakeman711
I found it at autozone. It was $21.99 a gallon. How do I post a pic?

Which Autozone? I'm in MN too, and I have yet to see the 0W-40 T6 anywhere around here. I'd love to get some for my ATVs and OPE.

I see no reason not to use it in your PSD.

Nice, I'll have to stop in there and get some. I live just a few miles north of Anoka so I drive by there all the time.

You're really better off with the 0W-40 with winter coming anyway. It should get flowing quicker when cold than the 5W-40. Might start a little easier on those below zero mornings too.

Thank you for all the replies. I knew I could count on the members here for good information. This is the best forum when it comes to valid information.

We used 6 of our 7 gallon stash of 5W-40 Rotella today and will try to find some of the 0W-40 to restock. We changed the MF and JD tractors today and the 429 gas engine in the F-700 16' flat dump. It was not worn out but it had aged out over the years.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back