Mobil 1 Mix better than Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the PIQA, VOA, UOA, and tech data sheets....Assuming you're wanting a 5w30 or 0w30, it looks like a 50/50 mix of M1 0w20 AFE and M1 0w40 would surpass vanilla M1 5w30 in every aspect...at least those that are not proprietary?

The so-called CATERHAM Blend comes to mind with special recipes such as the one you're contemplating.

Perhaps he'll see your thread in due course...

Originally Posted By: splinter
The so-called CATERHAM Blend comes to mind with special recipes such as the one you're contemplating.

Perhaps he'll see your thread in due course...

Yep, that's where I started reading about the idea. My oil knowledge is limited to what I read on BITOG and the tech data sheets, but it's starting to seem like a no-brainer if going with Mobil products in this viscosity range.

PP 5W-30 is as light as you would ever need for your location. Might as well use TGMO if you're going to mix.

Although I dont think a mix will harm anything, and have mixed myself. The other side of the token is that by doing so, with oils that use different additives, you may water down both. I also really doubt anyone is making a 'better oil' by home mixing.

Food for thought.

Last edited:
Ridiculous. Maybe the Mobil engineers, you know the ones with the actual performance information on their oils, should check this thread out so they can make a better oil. Imagine the millions they could have saved by just getting a $20 VOA to design an oil......

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Ridiculous. Maybe the Mobil engineers, you know the ones with the actual performance information on their oils, should check this thread out so they can make a better oil. Imagine the millions they could have saved by just getting a $20 VOA to design an oil......

Do you honestly think oil manufacturers produce and sell us the BEST they can manufacture? The reality is, they blend oil to give us the MINIMUM protection needed, to get the job done. The millions of cars on the road today simply don't need more.

Even with that in mind, engines will outlast the body of the car with regular oil changes.

You think oil manufacturers will sell us the top of the line blend for $25.99 at Walmart?!
crackmeup2.gif

If synthetic oil was the same, why would auto manufacturers specify a certain oil requirements just for their engines? Take BMW for example and their specs for oil.

Bottled oil is designed with a certain performance in mind. Mobil 1s EP line is designed with extended drains in mind. Another oil is designed for performance and doesn't care about extended drain additives. This is where blending a Caterham mix might just produce a strong blend as the end result.

Can you be sure that when you mix 2 oils that the result would meet any spec on either bottle? Being miscible does not mean that the results would be a new, better product.

Here is my posting on a problem mixing diesel oil. Admittedly this was not a standard operating situation but there were lab test and manufacturer's input into the problem and all agreed that additives clashed and the results were extreme to say the least. This does not mean that it will happen to you. It just is an example of the real possibility that there could be a problem.

Diesel oil additive problem.

Thanks for the link to the diesel oil mixture experiment. Interesting indeed...

Regarding regular engine oil, every bottle clearly says that the oil is compatible with other oils, so I imagine that they all pretty much have the same properties, just at different levels and mixing oil A and B will not cause a catastrophic mixture of non lubricating oil that destroys the engine in a hurry.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Do you honestly think oil manufacturers produce and sell us the BEST they can manufacture? The reality is, they blend oil to give us the MINIMUM protection needed, to get the job done. The millions of cars on the road today simply don't need more.

Even with that in mind, engines will outlast the body of the car with regular oil changes.

You think oil manufacturers will sell us the top of the line blend for $25.99 at Walmart?!
crackmeup2.gif

If synthetic oil was the same, why would auto manufacturers specify a certain oil requirements just for their engines? Take BMW for example and their specs for oil.

Bottled oil is designed with a certain performance in mind. Mobil 1s EP line is designed with extended drains in mind. Another oil is designed for performance and doesn't care about extended drain additives. This is where blending a Caterham mix might just produce a strong blend as the end result.

You missed my point. My point is that it is ridiculous that people on this site believe they can judge an oils performance level by the references in the main post. VOAs and PDS can not tell you the oils performance nor predict whether a mix will out perform another oil. But it sure is humorous when people try.

Life is short, so might as well try and see what happens. What's the worst that can happen?

Life is short, so might as well try and see what happens. What's the worst that can happen?

+1 I'm going to be using the Caterham Blend as well, though I can't find TGMO near me, so I will be using Mobil 1 AFE

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

+1 I'm going to be using the Caterham Blend as well, though I can't find TGMO near me, so I will be using Mobil 1 AFE

x2 i currently have Mobil 1 0w20 EP and Mobil 1 0w40 @ 50/50 mix in my 2014 Mazda 3... Runs awesome.

Regarding regular engine oil, every bottle clearly says that the oil is compatible with other oils, so I imagine that they all pretty much have the same properties, just at different levels and mixing oil A and B will not cause a catastrophic mixture of non lubricating oil that destroys the engine in a hurry.

Being compatible does not mean that mixing them is optimal or that the final product will somehow retain the best characteristics of the two products being mixed though.

Mixing two Mobil products with similar chemistries is likely a lot less likely to result in a funky end product than mixing something like Castrol Edge with Ti with M1 EP 0w-20 for example, the latter being a PAO-based product, the former being Group III, and both using completely different additive packages.

So no, they pretty much don't all have the same properties and as limited as a VOA is, it will at least show you that. Comparing the additive levels alone between various 5w-30's for example show that they use rather different mixes to achieve an end product that meets the required performance targets. And the other side of that is that while on paper a blend may appear to result in a superior final product, it has gone through a grand total of zero performance tests and meets no single OEM performance spec, nor the API or ACEA approvals, so for a car under warranty that may be something to be cognizant of.

Note that I am not against people blending their own oils using already formulated products, I simply think we need to be careful as to what mystical performance characteristics we ascribe to these blends and be aware that while things aren't going to blow up and we aren't going to end up with the proverbial failed heap of engines, we also really aren't aware of the actual performance traits of the blended product beyond what the calculator tells us. We don't know how it would do on any of the sequence tests, the OEM testing regiments for whatever specification is required in a given application....etc. There are a lot of unknowns.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Mixing two Mobil products with similar chemistries is likely a lot less likely to result in a funky end product

LOL, I couldn't continue to read after that.

x2 i currently have Mobil 1 0w20 EP and Mobil 1 0w40 @ 50/50 mix in my 2014 Mazda 3... Runs awesome.

Good idea, I think I will swap out my mobil 1 AFE for the 0w20 EP stuff! As my intention are to run 10k then 12.5k then to 15k eventually.

Mixing two Mobil products with similar chemistries is likely a lot less likely to result in a funky end product

Yet you bothered to spend the time to quote it
smirk.gif

smirk.gif

yep! that's me

smirk.gif

yep! that's me

Well, then since you are taking the time to respond to me, my use of the term "funky" was explained by what I wrote further down. The part you just couldn't bother with. These would be things like the resultant performance characteristics of mixing fully formulated lubricants with completely different base oils (group III and PAO) and different additive package chemistries like Castrol's Ti package vs one Mobil uses.

Perhaps "funky" wasn't the best choice of words but my point was that two Mobil products with similar additive packages and base oil blends are likely to yield a much more predictable end product than mixing products from competing blenders whose additive packages look nothing alike on paper and utilize completely different base oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back