tire traction vs tire squeal while braking hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you brake hard (emergency braking) on dry asphalt and new tires squeal without engaging ABS, does it mean they have more traction over OEM tires that used to activate ABS without squealing in similar braking conditions?

Thanks!

I think so, the ABS should kick in when it senses skidding. Less skidding should be due to more traction.

Edit:

I don't know how squealing changes things. I would have thought that squealing is from skidding...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
If you brake hard (emergency braking) on dry asphalt and new tires squeal without engaging ABS, does it mean they have more traction over OEM tires that used to activate ABS without squealing in similar braking conditions?

Thanks!

Well, they WERE ! new...

As for squeal, some tires howl like a stuck pig all the time, others slide without a peep... so I'm not sure you can make any traction judgements by sound alone. If your ABS DID NOT ENGAGE, then the new tires would seem to have more grip. Old tires harden over time, this may be a factor as well.

It's actually a fun system to determine the weakest link:
ABS engage easily when dry? Need better tires
Can't brake hard enough dry to engage ABS? Need better pads/rotors

Not an expert in this area, but I suspect ABS systems aren't programmed to tire of specific traction, but a range of traction possibilities. The system has to deal with varying traction due to wet or snowy conditions.

I would say you are experiencing a difference in tire reaction to being at its traction limits. Or the worn tires weren't at their limits at the same point the new ones are.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
Not an expert in this area, but I suspect ABS systems aren't programmed to tire of specific traction, but a range of traction possibilities. The system has to deal with varying traction due to wet or snowy conditions.

I would say you are experiencing a difference in tire reaction to being at its traction limits. Or the worn tires weren't at their limits at the same point the new ones are.

Actually, ABS senses the rate at which the wheel speed changes. As it approaches lockup the ABS cycles to decrease hydraulic pressure. Once the wheel speed change is within traction limits the wheel reapplies. Tire noise has no particular bearing on it one way or the other.

how new is new?

If they're brand new, just forget about it; the tires still have all the release oils and rubber nibs and other random stuff need about 500 miles to break in.
The squealing can be all that other break-in stuff and your tires aren't actually breaking free yet.

So wait until after 500miles and then write back

Last edited:
brandini has good idea. If you apply brakes and ABS is not detecting tires slip (wheel lock up) then brake pads may need attention (if the tires are not the weakest link something else must be).

Krzys

It seems regardless of what tires I run, if I slam on the brakes hard on dry asphalt, I get a squeal from the tires and ABS is unlikely to kick in.

Rain soaked roads could go either way.

On ice or slippery snow, my truck's ABS is very active.

It has been this way across many sets of tires, both HT and AT style tires. Pads have always been either Motorcraft or Wagner TQ.

Originally Posted By: AITG
Originally Posted By: ledslinger

Actually, ABS senses the rate at which the wheel speed changes. As it approaches lockup the ABS cycles to decrease hydraulic pressure. Once the wheel speed change is within traction limits the wheel reapplies. Tire noise has no particular bearing on it one way or the other.

I think we agree that the noise is due to the tire, not the ABS system reacting to the tires traction being different than those replaced. We suspect the new tire has less traction than the worn one, since that is conventional wisdom.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Thanks!

some tires just make noise, my brand new yokohama g91f's squeal like a stuck pig when turning in a parking lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back