OE Firestone Affinity Fuel Fighter - 2012 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading OVERKILL's review of the Chinesium tires and having a car in for service today that had some terribly loud tires, I felt the need to add to this conversation.

My friend's 2012 Civic LX came with a set of OE Firestone Affinity Fuel Fighter tires.

Background:

Three of the tires have 53,800 miles on them, one has about 10k less.

Three of the tires have 5/32" left, the newer one has 6/32". As a point of reference, they measured 7/32" back at 27k and 6/32" at 39k, so they are wearing rather slowly; at this rate, they can easily make it to 70k.
shocked2.gif

The tires have been rotated religiously (by me) every 6,500 miles (on average) and are always kept between 32 to 34 psi cold (spec is 30 psi). During each rotation, I always cross the tires that are being rotated to the front.

The wear is even and there is no noticeable cupping. The tires display no symptoms of balance issues and have never needed to be rebalanced.

Dry traction is decent, wet traction is OK (but not great).

The vehicle's suspension is in excellent shape. Wheel bearings have no issues, no noise.

The Issue:

The tires are HORRIBLY loud! You can hear the rough noise even at very low speeds. The tires did not get this loud until the last 15-20k.

Given the history of frequent rotations, no alignment issues and even wear, why would these tires get so loud over time?

Any ideas?

Well, one reason that I can come up with right away is, tire rubber(any rubber) hardens as it ages. This hardening also contributes to it's longevity thus, the reason for both noise/wear rate.

Others will chime in with more information.
smile.gif

The original tires on my Uplander began to get loud and I saw no "uneven wear" (I have been a car guy for 55 yrs) but my local tire expert diagnosed a suspension/alignment problem right off the bat.
I would like to see an alignment printout and a diagnosis by a tire pro.

I'd like to know as well. I recently replaced a set of General Altimax HPs that were like that. No alignment issues, even wear and very LOUD!

This is one of those "intangibles" that you often don't experience as much of with more expensive tires. As an example, I'm currently looking for tires for our Honda and, though I think I don't want to put real expensive tires back on it, I have trouble warming up to new entries in the market like the Cooper CS5 and the General AltiMAX RT43. The General, for instance, tests well when new. But how is it going to behave when the tread and rubber compounds have 40k miles and 4 years of hot and cold cycles on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back