Chrysler MS-11106 vs MB-229.51 the same spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for those of you in the know, are these two specs the same? I've read that Chrysler "borrowed" the MB-229.51 spec and made it MS-11106. I've seen the MOPAR catalog that lists the Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W30 as MS-11106 (MB-229.51).
I ask because an application engineer at Liqui-Moly stated they were "similar". I've also read that Amsoil says their European Car Formula 5W-30 that meets MB-229.51 is not recommended where MS-11106 is required.

These questions pertain to the engine oil requirements of my RAM 1500 with the 3.0L diesel. I know that there are quite a few oils that are ACEA C3 and MS-11106 as the manual requires. I would like to use the Liqui-Moly TopTech 4200, but it doesn't specifically list MS-11106, but it does meet MB-229.51, ACEA C3 and Fiat 955535-S1.
Here is what was listed in the owner's manual last April-
"For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating conditions, the manufacturer recommends engine oils that meet the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-11106, and that are approved to Fiat 9.55535-S1 or Fiat 9.55535-S3 and ACEA C3."

The wording was changed to read-
"For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating conditions, the manufacturer recom- mends engine oils that meet the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-11106, and that are approved to ACEA C3."

So, are MB-229.51 and Chrysler MS-11106 the same, or not?

Thanks

If you want to maintain warranty, an opinion on BITOG won't be worth anything as a defense if you do not use "Chrysler Material Standard MS-11106, and that are approved to ACEA C3".

My 2 cents.

Danno,
True. I wholeheartedly agree with you. I just want to know if what some people profess is true, or not.

I've never seen the actual details behind the MS-11106 spec. Try sending Chrysler an email asking them for these details. Then we'd be in a position to compare them to MB 229.51.

Somebody recently asked Chrysler about the details of some other oil spec, and they happily sent him the documentation. That's why I suggested you try the same.

As you'll see when you look at my user ID, I've been here a while, and I have never seen any details pertaining to this Chrysler spec. It's not mentioned in the Afton bible either.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Somebody recently asked Chrysler about the details of some other oil spec, and they happily sent him the documentation. That's why I suggested you try the same.

As you'll see when you look at my user ID, I've been here a while, and I have never seen any details pertaining to this Chrysler spec. It's not mentioned in the Afton bible either.

Yes, I see you've been here a while. I'll take your advice and contact Chrysler. If I get a copy of MS-11106 I'll post it here for y'all to decode.
Thanks

It has been five days without an answer from RAM. Hopefully they will send me the spec, but at this point, it doesn't really matter because I must use oil that meets the MS-11106 that is ACEA C3.

I just got off the phone with RAM Customer care. They stated they will not give me a copy of MS-11106 as it is proprietary information.
I guess this goes in the X files.

Great. Can they at least give you a list of oils that meet this spec to make life a little easier for you? Or is this proprietary information as well?

They offered to read the blurb from the diesel engine supplement to me. I thanked them for the offer but kindly told them it was too early for my bedtime story
smile.gif

These oils fit the bill-
Pennzoil Ultra Euro L full synthetic 5W-30
Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30
Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic Euro Motor oil
Quaker State Ultimate Durability European L 5W-30W
Champion European Low SAPS 5W-30

Chrysler mailed me a copy of MS-11106. I received it in the mail this past Saturday. I will post it here after I get a good scan of the document.

Based on this, here are a few things that stood out for me. Compared to MB 229.51:

1. MS-11106 has a stricter sulfur content limit.
2. MS-11106 has a stricter chlorine content limit.
3. MS-11106 has a lower Pour Point requirement.
4. MS-11106 has stricter limits on Foam Tendencies tests.
5. MS-11106 only allows Xw-30 grade oils.
6. MS-11106 has an additional ASTM D6335 test for High Temp Deposits.
7. MS-11106 has an additional ASTM D7097 test for Medium High Temperature Deposits(TEOST).

Because the HTHS requirements are minima. C2 requires 2.9 cP minimum whereas C3 requires 3.5 cP minimum. If you have an oil of, say, 2.8 cP then it meets both requirements.

Weasley hi,

How is possible for oil of 2.8 cP to meet minimum standard of 3.5 cP for C3 oils. Surely you meant 3.8 cP oil to meet both standards. But still there is need for fuel economy requirements of C2 oils that 3.5 cP cannot meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back