2014 Nissan Versa rental experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
While my Accord was at the dealer having the airbag recall performed, I had a 2014 Nissan Versa rental. Im not sure what trim it was, it had the auto (CVT) transmission, power windows and door locks, radio, A/C, etc. As far as the interior goes, it was pretty bad. Materials quality was pretty bad, hard black plastic everywhere. Seat material wasn't in place very well...you could move it around, like it wasn't stitched in properly. And the overall design of the dash was poor IMHO, it gets the job done but it isn't very attractive at all. This was my first time driving a CVT, and this one leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I thought I might like CVT's but this turned me off of them for now, at least Nissans units. It either lugged the engine when driving around slow, or it would shoot up to 3-3500K RPMS and hold it there until you let off the gas. It does have the rubber band feel that I have heard some CVT's have. The engine is very loud in the cabin as well, its very annoying droning around at 3000 rpm in this thing. The steering and brake feel was pretty bad too. When going around corners, tire grip is not inspiring either...they break loose fairly easily. I thought the car had enough power around town, but my goodness, if you want to pass someone on the highway you need to practically plant your foot on the floor. MPG was very good IMO, I reset the MPG monitor and I was getting an easy 45 on the highway. Overall, for what you pay for one of these, they are ok as far as giving you all the necessities. Not sure about long term reliability. Maybe if you were leasing it you would be ok. Just thought I would share. If it were me, I would get a Fit or Fiesta over this.

Also, after dropping off the rental, I needed a ride to the dealership. They used the same Versa so transport me and a two others. The driver commented on how "the transmission was stuck in first gear, and that something was messed up". He said he felt like it was going to blow the engine. Lol. The passenger up front looked very confused as she looked down and the switch gear, and the passenger in the rear commented on how in his wifes Nissan, you can not feel the gear changes. I guess many still do not know about CVT's.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
It's just a rebadged Renault, and we all know how awesome French cars are.

I heard that Nissan and Renault co-engineered the engine...but that was as far as it went. Guess I am ill informed.

Nope, not at all.

The previous generation Verse did use more Renault parts, but also was a distinct design as well. But at least the previous model was actually pretty nice to drive and be in. It was a very good value for what it was.

This latest car has NOTHING in common with any Renault models, except for the engine and even that is modified for Nissan. It's also true that this new model is [censored].

Isn't the Versa's claim to fame the title of cheapest car in America?

Corners you never knew existed must have been cut to make a compact car rather than an economy car the cheapest in America.

I drove an 08 Sentra a few weeks ago, it was terrible. The CVT was the worst thing i ever experienced, horrible almost beyond words, to say it sucks would be charitable.
If this is the future i will keep rebuilding old cars till i am done driving. I'm sure i can keep something going another 30 yrs or so.

Its a compact....they all suck.
plastic interior, [censored] seats, noisy, harsh engine, no power.

Test drove a sonic hatchback. after 5 minutes i said [censored] this miserable little POS.

Originally Posted By: sasha
Its a compact....they all suck.
plastic interior, [censored] seats, noisy, harsh engine, no power.

Test drove a sonic hatchback. after 5 minutes i said [censored] this miserable little POS.

That pretty much sums them up for me too.

Its like many other cheap cars abysmal. Its sad because you could pay slightly more for an excellent new car or buy a superior low mileage used car.

Try a Subaru CVT (2014 Legacy) and 2014 Accord CVT and you would say excellent. My prior CVT experience was this loser POS Chyrsler wannbe Jeep called the Compass CVT rented. I see why they gave away Chrysler! My guess Versa is similar.

Try to get parts like front brake pads.Seemingly the aftermarket lists 2 different ones,but neither fits most 2011-up models.Japanese market Versas use a different one,and that's the one the US seems to get sent over here,yet no US brake maker realizes that.Also air filters can be a hassle due to incorrect listings.Seems Versa was just shipped over here in a huff to give Nissan a cheap car to battle everybody else with,but there was little to no Americanization done.Also have noticed a lot of Nissans lately spitting up oil and soaking the air filter during break in,even 30,000 miles later.And the Nissan Frontier dash is a cheap,hard piece of plastic,the bucket seats are a tight fit with very little cushioning,the auto trans revs the engine to 3-4K on 1-2 upshifts,and there is a huge deadspot in the electronic throttle between idle and 1/4 down when coasting.Seams in the floor of the bed are unwelded and not seam sealed.Overall,I don't know why sales of Nissans are up up up...they are overrated and I don't think they will last like some other cars/trucks.

Nissan quality went down hill when they got in bed with French Renault, IMO.
I never remember Nissan/Datsun having head gasket issues until this 'marriage'.
At any rate, Nissan would be the last Japanese brand I would buy (and I previously had a Sentra SER and a Maxima).

Versa is a subcompact, not a compact. There are much nicer subcompacts out there, like a Fit. But they also cost a lot more than a Versa.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Isn't the Versa's claim to fame the title of cheapest car in America?

Corners you never knew existed must have been cut to make a compact car rather than an economy car the cheapest in America.

To be the cheapest car in America, you have to work at it and pull out all stops.

What baffles me is why people continue to evaluate cars like these exclusively on criteria no one designing the car targeted as a consideration.

13K car with a cheap interior; no complaint IMHO
25K V6 Frontier with the same; complaint.

A 'no electric windows, no ABS, 5sp, 106HP rubbermaid interior 43mpg' can be a good car for the market for which it was designed. I have one.

Last edited:
It's folks expecting a new, cheap car to be the same as their used, more expensive car that are the issue. I have no issues with a cheap car being visibly cheap. If the car has other redeeming virtues like being a hoot to drive and fairly durable, then I can forgive some transgressions like cheap fabric on the seats or molding lines in the plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back