Durun F-One experience - Chevrolet Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Just got back from Dallas, TX last night. Been there about a week and the rental we had was a Tahoe with some Durun F-One tires on it.

These are possibly the worst tires I've ever ridden on in my entire life.

Their wet performance was what I would call scary. Stopping briskly resulted in sliding and the ABS engaging. Acceleration lit them up. They were even awful on dry pavement where if there was any imperfection in the road surface (a pretty prevalent trait with the roads in Dallas) they broke traction and could engage the ABS. They were also noisy. REALLY noisy. They hummed like we were riding on mudders.

Note that this was NOT a 6.0L Tahoe. It had whatever the smallest base engine was.

Another interesting thing was that they tires were "chunking". Parts of the tread surface had come off, and other parts were showing splits.

Our 2nd night there, somebody tried to steal the wheels/tires off the truck but was foiled by one of the Hotel's security guards. The tires became a running joke after that as we figured they'd put the wheels back once the realized how awful the tires were, LOL!

Our other rental was a 2014 Expedition with the stock Goodyear rubber. They were literally 100x better than the Durun's in the same conditions.

And the pics:

durun00.jpg

durun02.jpg

durun01.jpg

The worn-out LTX's we pulled off the Expedition last year would have performed better in ANYTHING than these tires and they had the added benefit of not sounding like you were driving on tires from a John Deere loader
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
..The worn-out LTX's we pulled off..

Yup maybe time to re-up with known quality?
smile.gif

I cringe every time when settling up with the tire man for a fresh set of Michelins. Pat myself on the back whenever I'm behind the wheel though.

edit: ^ I know they're not yours!

Those tires are pretty bad. Did you tell the rental company how bad they were? Sounds like they are putting their customer's lives at risk to save money. The actual legit rental companies around here only put back on what the cars came with new. The fly-by-night ones use brands that I have never heard of.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
What's Generous Motors use as OEM on that vehicle?

Unfortunately I have no idea. I assume a Goodyear or Michelin product.

Looks like the type of tires that would go on dubs wheels. Tread design is just fo' sho' where it looks cool just sitting there, absolutely no siping or engineered tread design for harsh conditions and they are typically cheap with poor specs.

Scary stuff....
http://www.universal-tire.com/?plugin=Pages&id=31&title=Durun

Durun

Shandong Yongtai Chemical Group is a leading radial tire manufacturing facility. The company produces LTR, PCR, TBR, and UHP tires in the brands Durun, Banners, and Goldway. Yongtai carries CCC, DOT, ECE, ISO, AND INMETRO certification.
Yongtai feels they have one of the most modern quality inspection and R & D centers in China. The company has 2500 employees and produdes adout 8 million units per year.

Durun, lol. Our supplier carries a variety of Chinese tires with interesting names (like Vigorous HiFly), but this is the first I have heard of "Durun."

The design of the sidewall says to me "cheapest new black round thing to put on a 20" wheel."

When I got tires back in 2012, I decided to try going cheap. How bad can tires really be? The US made Goodyear Wrangler Radials I got initially exceeded my low expectations for them, but by 25K miles, I couldn't stand them anymore and replaced them within 5K miles despite having probably 10K of "it will roll" life left. Too much noise. Bad wet traction. Wallowy handling. I just replaced them with Yokohamas a couple weeks ago and won't be going back to cheapies on anything I drive daily. The truck is so much quieter and handles so much better now it is unbelieveable. And the Goodyears were not even worn out yet...they were not at the wear bars. And as stated, this was a name brand, US made tire, just a cheap one.

There probably are some decent Chinese tires out there, but there is so much variability in their quality that I'd rather go with known quality brands. It's not hard for a tire to roll, hold air, and go for 30K miles, but doing it well without unwanted noise/handling characteristics is another thing.

Who was the rental company that put these awful tires on their trucks?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
What's Generous Motors use as OEM on that vehicle?

I believe it was Bridgstone or Goodyears.

Also I have never heard of that company. Just like when I first saw some LingLong brand tires. LOL
People sure do buy quality.

Originally Posted By: mcrn

Hertz.

Hertz.

This is just poor business. Did you notice if other Tahoes there had the same garbage on them?

Last edited:
Wow! Hertz surely has gone downhill. I remember when they were cream of the crop.

Did it have all 4 Dunruns? Curious as I had a flat in a rental once and when I took it back they said they "may charge for the tire". So I winder if someone destroyed a tire and put the cheapest they could find back on...

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Wow! Hertz surely has gone downhill. I remember when they were cream of the crop.

Did it have all 4 Dunruns? Curious as I had a flat in a rental once and when I took it back they said they "may charge for the tire". So I winder if someone destroyed a tire and put the cheapest they could find back on...

All four were these tires and they all appeared to be the same age.

Hertz.

This is just poor business. Did you notice if other Tahoes there had the same garbage on them?

I didn't think to check.

Hertz.

Co-worker just had a 2013 Ford Taurus SEL from Hertz, with a pair of Ohtsu tires on it.

I'm seeing a pattern here.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Hertz.

Co-worker just had a 2013 Ford Taurus SEL from Hertz, with a pair of Ohtsu tires on it.

Ohtsu is Japanese. The original company that Falken was founded under. Still better then the tires on the Tahoe he had.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Hertz.

There's a place across from where I work that rents cars. They run the OEM tires to the wear bars. It's scary that they would feel safe renting a minivan to a family for a road trip with tires worn to the wear bars.

Then they replace with Fuzion touring tires.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Then they replace with Fuzion touring tires.

as bad as those are...

they are not in the same category as chinese made chinese branded tires.

A coworker was asking me what tires to get for his dodge dakota, I recommended a few value options...

he ended up paying more for his fuzion tires than he could have gotten much better tires for....

oh well... then he asked why his winter traction was so bad after sliding into a curb...

He kinda reminds me of ram_man.. he always asks me for advice on various car issues/maintenance.. then just does whatever...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back