That Oil Change Smell That Lingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
I changed my oil today and forgot my gloves. I haven't forgotten my gloves for an oil change, brake change, etc. for a while now. I forgot how much it stinks, literally, to have to deal with the smell of oily fingers for the rest of the day, even after scrubbing my hands twice with Gojo.

A decade ago I wouldn't worry about it, and even kind of liked the smell; now, it bothers me enough to post about it. What about the rest of you? Do you wear gloves? Have you ever decided not to start a project, just because you didn't have your gloves?

Kind of a random thread, but I just got home after changing my oil and running some errands, and it bugged me enough to post up about it.

I wear Nitrile exam Gloves if i think about it...

but i actually Like the Smell of used oil well enough, i even had an idea to make a mens hand cream that smelled like used Motor oil.(never got further than the Idea phase though...)

I start off wearing nitrile gloves but for one reason or another it seems I end up taking them off halfway through -- to wipe my glasses, answer the phone, look up something on the internet, etc. So I get the oil smell anyway.

No gloves, but got the technique down so usually don't get much on hands...got a shop rag for that.

I'm a neat freak, so I always have gloves handy for when I change my oil or service other people's vehicles/power equipment.

I just gave my phalanges a good sniff again and it DOES smell like victory. False alarm, I guess!

I notice that synthetic oils are slipperier and harder to remove from hands than conventional...if that makes any sense.

Gloves, always. Lava soap may kill the smell. Also, kitchen hand soap (the kind made to handle onion/garlic smells) or even scented dishwashing liquid. A friend always swore by dishwashing liquid as a good mechanic's hand cleaner.

Once I started with nitrile gloves I never stopped. It ads credibility with paying customers too that I'm a professional. Surgeon?
laugh.gif

Of all the stuff in auto chemicals, I don't want that passing thru my liver/ kidneys.

No gloves here either.

Try some Dawn dishwashing soap. That stuff takes the oil off of anything.

They use it to clean birds after oil spills.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Think thats bad...get some differential fluid on you.

+1!

EP hypoid lubricants are a special kind of love even w/o those former sperm whale additives.

I wear 'heavy-duty' disposable gloves for most garage work these days but they're oftentimes ripped or torn before completing the task(s) at hand.

Upside is that special feeling and momentary gentle patina reminder of having invested time in one of our favorite hobbies.

As long as I keep it off the flooring, carpets and sheets she's okay with it.
smile.gif

I wear mechanic's gloves, but more because I don't like getting burned and scratched than the smell. Engine oil and ATF have very little smell to me.

Now, hypoid gear oil on the other hand- I think I'd rather wrestle a skunk than get that stuff all over me.

Originally Posted By: UncleS2
Orange based hand cleaner.

This or peel a orange, clementine(mandarin), or about any citrus that you have to peel. Then rub your hands in the citrus peelings, and either enjoy the smell of the citrus, or wash it off with soap and water if you don't.

And don't forget to the enjoy the orange you just peeled.

I don't use gloves unless I am waxing my truck or working with super glue or some other adhesive. I have tried gloves but they always rip open. My hands get real sweaty in rubber gloves too and I don't like that. When I tried rubber gloves I also lost some of the tactile sensitivity in my hands/fingers. For me, gloves are just a hassle and not really worth it unless I am working with wax. I hate having dried wax on my hands. Orange hand cleaner works well on grease and oil, so does washing a few sinks' worth of dishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back