CEL for 2001 Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend's son has a 2001 Accord with an I4. There is a CEL. He told me that AAP can't read the code and it must be brought to the dealer. Is this a load or are there certain functions that cannot be diagnosed by OTC tools?

Thanks.

Last edited:
This is true - there are certain OEM specific codes that will require a more advanced aftermarket scan tool (i.e. Snap-On Verus, Verdict) or the dealer tool.

Take it somewhere else. There are things that can only bee seen with a more advanced scan tool but if it illuminates a CEL generally any OBD II code reader should read the code.

2004 and up may need a reader capable of CAN but most are if the reader had been made in the last 10 years.
Some codes it may not read are ones that will not trigger A CEL like ABS and BCM codes.
It could be they got a code and have no idea what it is because it is a manufacturer specific code, if so here is a list someone posted.

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f99/obdii-code-description-list-honda-manufacturer-specific-292689/

Thanks for all the input. I don't know what the back story is on the original trip to AAP, but it appears to be a P1457 EVAP Emission Control System Leak Detected (Control Canister System)

I will be pressing on with researching this issue.

What is "CAN?"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EricF
Or the guy at AAP was using an antiquated scanner.. or maybe it didn't have the CAN protocol on it?

This is most likely the problem. The clerk probably grabbed a non-CAN code reader meant for older cars.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
There's a shorting plug on that era Honda IIRC. Take a paperclip to it and see what's what.

That was for pre-1996 Honda/Acura vehicles. The 2001 Accord would be OBD-II and can use a regular scanner.

Originally Posted By: Trav
This is a 2001 Honda Accord.
Quote:
OBD interfaces used:

1996 - 2006 : ISO 9141

2006 - 2008 : ISO 9141 or CAN

2008 and later : CAN

Uh-oh. I made a boo-boo.

So what's likely the problem? An ABS or restraint code causing the MIL to illuminate?

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
There's a shorting plug on that era Honda IIRC. Take a paperclip to it and see what's what.

That was for pre-1996 Honda/Acura vehicles. The 2001 Accord would be OBD-II and can use a regular scanner.

My mistake.
To be fair, there still is two for ABS and SRS diagnostics. I know of many '96+ vehicles that still weren't fully OBD2 integrated.

My guess is the scan tool could and did read the code, but was unable to provide a definition, so the employee just said "can't read it," because they didn't know what the code meant.

The readers most AAP stores use have definitions for most common/generic codes, so it will spit out something like "P0171 - System Too Lean Bank 1." On a manufacturer specific code, it may say something like "P1259 - No DTC Definition Found" or something to that effect. An inexperienced/clueless employee may see that as "can't read it" just because the code reader doesn't spit out a definition. In fact, it did read it, you just have to look the definition up on your own.

Can't you afford $17 for a code reader yourself? Skip couple of latte.

I just can't understand a person who would spend hours trying to find the "free code" instead of investing in $15 reader of his own.

Go on Amazon and look up Autel MS301 or something like that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tegger

Uh-oh. I made a boo-boo.

So what's likely the problem? An ABS or restraint code causing the MIL to illuminate?

I thought something similar, not every code reader can read some cars even though under OBD II standard they should.

I think this is more like it.
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
My guess is the scan tool could and did read the code, but was unable to provide a definition, so the employee just said "can't read it," because they didn't know what the code meant.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

I just can't understand a person who would spend hours trying to find the "free code" instead of investing in $15 reader of his own.

I have one of these cheapo scanner - purchased from Amazon - not sure if it's the same model but it's a Autel Maxiscan 200, I think. At first it worked fine with my 2000 Accord. But lately when I hook it up it comes back with error link. I am not sure if it's the scanner itself. I hook it up with my Sienna and it appears to be fine, although the van has no CEL.

BTW, my Accord code is P1456 - which I had Autozone scan it.

Originally Posted By: mister_two
Originally Posted By: Vikas

I have one of these cheapo scanner - purchased from Amazon - not sure if it's the same model but it's a Autel Maxiscan 200, I think. At first it worked fine with my 2000 Accord. But lately when I hook it up it comes back with error link. I am not sure if it's the scanner itself. I hook it up with my Sienna and it appears to be fine, although the van has no CEL.

BTW, my Accord code is P1456 - which I had Autozone scan it.

Sometimes I couldn't read a code because of a blown fuse. Sometimes the fuse isn't even related to engine controls, but it still causes a failure to communicate with a scanner.

As for those codes that "Aren't defined" those exist so that if a car manufacturer wants to add new inventions for a car, those inventions can be diagnosed. This is why having an OEM service manual can be a big help. Other times, newer scanners have vehicle info already saved, so they can tell you what those undefined codes mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back