WARPED ROTORS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there is some slight pulsing when I apply my breaks but recently I developed a squeaking that gets faster as I speed up. From front left wheel. Last two days I have now noticed a sound sort of like "woh woh woh woh". Sorry no better way to describebit. It fades away if I slightly press the breaks and completely goes away when I firmly step on the break. Can a warped rotor cause that sort of sound?

A wheel barring will stop making noise when you apply the breaks? Also..it's not a growling sound...sounds like two pieces of metal coming into contact as the roster is spinning

I get zero vibration and alignment is straight as an arrow. As I said. .When I step on the break lightly it dampens the sound and when I'm stopping it completely goes away. Does a wheel barring stop making noise when breaks are applied?

Without hearing it, it is impossible to say.

The pulsation issue is rotor related, but your noise may be a tire issue...which can be caused by cupped or unevenly worn tires.

Go for a ride down the highway for 15 mins. and swing off into a gas station rest area.

Point a laser thermometer at the hubs of both cars and see which one is hotter.

I'd have to agree it is most likely a wheel bearing.

The pads grip and support the hub at a second point decreasing the pulsation.

If it was a truly warped rotor I believe it should get a bit worse the sensation as you gradually apply the brakes until you start to slow enought that you don't notice it.

I have never experienced a true "warped disc" on a car so I can only go by what I vaguely remember in class.

If you jack up the car you can tell it is a bad wheel bearing as well, there will be play in all directions as you pull at the wheel.

Last edited:
That I recall, a wheel bearing is more of a growling/grinding sound.

I would dare say most “warped” rotors are simply a little wobbly due to a buildup of rust and crud between the contact areas. Clean with a wire brush the back side of the wheel, both sides of the rotor, and the hub. Clean around the studs. Wipe the areas lightly with WD40 or something, and put it all back together. If that doesn’t work you can start looking for other problems. But while you’re in there you can inspect, clean, relube, and adjust.

My truck had the splash shield go wonky and start touching things as it went 'round and 'round. That took a little while to figure out, but was an easy fix with the three pound wrench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back