Damage to my car from local shop....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had new brakes installed yesterday, and in addition to that I had the tires rotated and balanced on the Accord in my sig. Well when I got home with the car I noticed that two of the rims have some pretty noticeable scratches on them, and one has some light scratches. I am very aware of what scratches my car already has, there are very few. I wash my car weekly and if any of you are like me you know. I can show you every blemish on my car, I am just that OCD. So while I was at it I decided to walk around to see if there was any other damage. Well there is, the rear bumper has a very small chip in it and above that chip are two small hairline cracks in the paint, as if someone bumped it and the paint cracked. I HAD THE BRAKES THAT WERE INSTALLED IN MY TRUNK, I am assuming the tech leaned in to get the brakes, bumped the bumper and cracked the paint. I called the shop this morning and told them about the wheels. They said bring it in, they will take care of it. I was so flustered on the phone that I forgot to mention the bumper issue. How should I handle this, I want the bumper to be re painted. But I just dont see them doing it. Yeah the rims are $50 ish a piece (they are the plastic hub cap type) But when I bring up the small blemish on the bumper I just see them denying it was them. So how should I handle this? I like this shop, but this is ridiculous. THEY NEED TO BE MORE CAREFUL!

Since you already left the premises, don't count on the bumper, they can easily say it happened either before you came in or after you left. He said/she said thing.

Originally Posted By: abycat
Yeah I think you made a mistake not mentioning the bumper.

Yeah, I am afraid so. I was just worked up and forgot to mention it all together. Stinks. If they deny it, should I offer to go in halves?

Has anybody had a rear bumper job? How much did it cost? For a normal body shop...NOT MAACO.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Has anybody had a rear bumper job? How much did it cost? For a normal body shop...NOT MAACO.
I was quoted to have the front bumper repainted from a reputable shop on the Beetle for $500

As unpleasant as your issues are, you got away relatively
easy. But it just goes to show you that the sloppiness
of typical shops today is rampant, they just don't give a
fudge about the customers like they should.

I don't doubt that the mechanic that worked on your vehicle realized he scratched the wheels and the paint. But time is money the extra couple of minutes or so it would have taken to prevent the damage was too much for him to bother with, after all he probably had to pick his nose a little extra.
smirk.gif

Last edited:
If your paint cracked from somebody leaning on it there's probably something wrong with it beforehand. Also maybe somebody bumped into it at a store or at work and you haven't noticed until now?

And how do steel rims with hubcaps get scratched?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If your paint cracked from somebody leaning on it there's probably something wrong with it beforehand. Also maybe somebody bumped into it at a store or at work and you haven't noticed until now?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I would have definitely noticed it. What do you mean how? Its just painted plastic. Its as if they took the wheels off, and laid them down face down on the hubcap side, then spun it around. Its ridiculous. And yes, the bumper was repainted during the previous owners ownership. Its brittle almost, but thats no excuse.

Last edited:
Stinks. If they deny it, should I offer to go in halves?

I doubt they will go for that. They will either cover it, or they will say it was not their fault.

You probably have a good chance of them replacing the wheel covers, but the paint on the bumper I really doubt it. That's going to be something that's really hard to pin on them. Unless you looked the bumper over right before handing the car off, how do you really know they did it?

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Stinks. If they deny it, should I offer to go in halves?

I doubt they will go for that. They will either cover it, or they will say it was not their fault.

You probably have a good chance of them replacing the wheel covers, but the paint on the bumper I really doubt it. That's going to be something that's really hard to pin on them. Unless you looked the bumper over right before handing the car off, how do you really know they did it?

+1

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Brakes are a diy job

+1, if your so OCD then why not do it yourself? I'm OCD too, this is why I have learned to do everything around a car, except electrical(interior) or transmissions!

Trust me, it is A LOT of fun, at least to me, I was the type of guy who wouldn't even do his own oil change, 2 years ago, 1 head gasket failure from lack of maintenance after 320k and I started to DIY.

why? walmart lube express once pulled the dipstick hard enough that it came off (could have already been loose) but it leaked oil from there until engine started to make noise, I kept it topped off until I found the issue and fixed it.

These places don't care for you or your car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: silverrat
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3357217/How_much_to_repaint_bumper?

You knew the paint was cracked and brittle. It's not completely their fault. They wouldn't know brushing up against the bumper would cause paint to chip off.

After seeing the cracking on the bumper in the previous post, I don't know if I believe any of the story. The tech had to brush against your bumper to lean in. If your paint was sound it wouldn't have chipped.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3357217/How_much_to_repaint_bumper?

You knew the paint was cracked and brittle. It's not completely their fault. They wouldn't know brushing up against the bumper would cause paint to chip off.

IMO, based on this, the shop is not responsible at all for your bumper. You knew the paint was weak and defective beforehand. They had no way of knowing that. 100% completely not their fault.

Mb next time pull the car into the shop,pop the hood and loosen a bunch of random bolts before they notice....
then blame them later when stuff goes wrong... Go figure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back