Worldwide Fuel Charter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new Ford Focus, and the owner's manual refers to use of gasolines that meet the standards of the Worldwide Fuel Charter. Does anyone know what brands of gasoline meet these standards? Is this the same as Top Tier Gas?

Thanks.

I did, but the resulting sites were generally very technical in nature, and didn't show particular brands of gas. I was hoping for some less techncial advice here.

Originally Posted By: DAC17
I just bought a new Ford Focus, and the owner's manual refers to use of gasolines that meet the standards of the Worldwide Fuel Charter. Does anyone know what brands of gasoline meet these standards? Is this the same as Top Tier Gas?

Thanks.

In the Wikipedia entry for Top Tier Gas, it is claimed (without a citation) that "In 2004 representatives of BMW, General Motors, Honda, and Toyota got together to specify what makes a good fuel. Using recommendations from the Worldwide Fuel Charter, a global committee of automakers and engine manufacturers, they established a proprietary standard for a class of gasoline called "TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline"."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Tier_Detergent_Gasoline

You can download the Charter. It contains several interesting things, but most amazingly, fuel that meets it (other than the top tier ones) can still clog injectors 10% in 10,000 miles, and allow carbon deposits up to certain limits. Also minimum octane of 91 RON (about 87 AKI).

Of course down here our gasoline is only 85 RON, so you have to add your own detergents.

I don't think that's a surprise. Top tier says the same. Oil standards also allow for a certain amount of deposits. Cleanliness is always going to be a trade off between cost and technology.

Originally Posted By: widman
You can download the Charter. It contains several interesting things, but most amazingly, fuel that meets it (other than the top tier ones) can still clog injectors 10% in 10,000 miles, and allow carbon deposits up to certain limits. Also minimum octane of 91 RON (about 87 AKI).

Why is this amazing? They are simply setting a standard. If all fuels clog injectors to some extent, then why not specify an acceptable limit on clogging?

Of course down here our gasoline is only 85 RON, so you have to add your own detergents.

I'm not sure RON has anything to do with detergency or vice versa.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
I don't think that's a surprise. Top tier says the same. Oil standards also allow for a certain amount of deposits. Cleanliness is always going to be a trade off between cost and technology.

I'd think that engine design takes into account a certain base level of carbon and gum deposits will exist while the engine still functions properly. I don't believe it's possible to absolutely eliminate deposits, and it might not even be desirable to completely eliminate them. Even if you take a look of the takedown examples that fuel/detergent marketers publish, there's a thin layer of carbon on valves. The combustion process is constantly producing carbon, so eventually it gets to the point where it's produced at the same rate it's removed.

For the most part, meeting the Top Tier standard (not necessarily certification) is extremely inexpensive. I've heard it can cost as little as a penny more per gallon compared to EPA minimum. Now then there's the premium that an additive supplier might charge for an additive that's been certified to meet Top Tier along with the marketing fee paid to the Top Tier organization. I understand it's actually pretty small.

Originally Posted By: dave5358

Why is this amazing? They are simply setting a standard. If all fuels clog injectors to some extent, then why not specify an acceptable limit on clogging?

I'm not sure RON has anything to do with detergency or vice versa.

I wasn't saying it does, but that in some places the gas doesn't even meet the octane standard, much less anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back