Anything recommended for a 200k Escalade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad has had this car for 14 years now, and it has a v6 chevy in it. I dont know the specific, sorry about that. But I know he needs a tune up for sure. But what about something to possible help to clean the inside out, make it more efficient than it currently is and maybe something to help clean out the CAT a little bit? Basically, is there anything that you guys recommend to use for this 200k mile motor?

Have all the fluid changes been kept up? Power Steering, Brake, Transmission, Coolant, Oil? Being a GM coolant is a big one.. as far as cleaning.. Gum Out Regane high mileage, or Techron will be good for the fuel system/intake/combustion chambers.

I don't know if theres anything you can actually pour in the fuel take to clean the CAT.. only way to increase CAT efficiency would be to replace the CAT IMO, I wouldn't replace the CAT unless it has actually failed.

If there are any leaks/oil burining you could try a High Mileage oil too.

Other than that, he should keep doing what he has been doing, something is obviously working.

Last edited:
V6? Escalade? I'm almost certain it would have a LT or LS series v8.

But no, there's nothing special that needs to be done to it. Just keep taking good care of it.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
A v6 in an escalade?

Does that even exist?

A quick search tells me no.. at least from what I was able to find, its probably a V8

Originally Posted By: actionstan
Originally Posted By: Clevy
A v6 in an escalade?

Does that even exist?

A quick search tells me no.. at least from what I was able to find, its probably a V8

It's gotta be a 6.0 at least. How else would you even move that mammoth n

I've got a 6.0 in my C3 and it's become my favorite Chevy engine it gets better mileage than my 5.3 ever did and 325hp/375tq sure gets that tank moving

Ooops haha V8.

He has a pinging noise I dont think its actual pinging as this just started. Im thinking just a tune up, but I wanted something to possible help clean the valves. MPG did drop off a little bit over the years. And there is a fuel smell from the exhaust, not terrible but its there.

Ive used the Redline and Amosil cleaners that have PEA in them, but what about Multi-System Tune-Up from Gumout? I seen that video from Scotty and after the bore-scope video...It has me convinced.

Last edited:
Most importantly fix any problem that's throwing code (i.e. ignition coil, O2 sensor, stuck EGR, bad plugs, clogged PCV, etc).

Does it use MAF sensor? If so, clean it up. If you have to smog check in your area, and your last smog result is on the high side close to the passing limit especially on lower speed (i.e. 15mph), replace the upstream O2 sensors. Clean the idle air control valve. Dump a bottle or two of techrons / Gumout Regain / any other PEA cleaner in the tank. Replace spark plugs if they are worn out.

There is a very effective product called CataClean in Europe.

It is designed to clean out Cats in diesels and petrols.

You can use it as a maintenance additive or to help you get through the annual emissions checks if they are borderline.

Has been tested by many magazines and worked a treat on the BiLs 2.2 Ecotec equipped Vauxhall Vectra that was running rich and puffing black smoke. Alongside a new set of plugs, first set since car was new in 08. Car had done 94k! One plug was badly sooted up.

It also cleans up the lambda sensors.

Worth a shot alongside all the usual stuff like plugs and filters.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Most importantly fix any problem that's throwing code (i.e. ignition coil, O2 sensor, stuck EGR, bad plugs, clogged PCV, etc).

Does it use MAF sensor? If so, clean it up. If you have to smog check in your area, and your last smog result is on the high side close to the passing limit especially on lower speed (i.e. 15mph), replace the upstream O2 sensors. Clean the idle air control valve. Dump a bottle or two of techrons / Gumout Regain / any other PEA cleaner in the tank. Replace spark plugs if they are worn out.

there are no codes oddly enough.. Just that weird ticking noise when he gets on it and that smell. I beleive it does have a MAF. He's exempt from emissions for whatever reason, they sent a letter stating he was a while back. It even surprised him, I forgot the reason why. I'll have to find the IAC valve, what should I use to clean it and the MAF? ... MAF cleaner? lol Double dosing the cleaner in the tank is okay??

Originally Posted By: bigjl
There is a very effective product called CataClean in Europe.

It is designed to clean out Cats in diesels and petrols.

You can use it as a maintenance additive or to help you get through the annual emissions checks if they are borderline.

Has been tested by many magazines and worked a treat on the BiLs 2.2 Ecotec equipped Vauxhall Vectra that was running rich and puffing black smoke. Alongside a new set of plugs, first set since car was new in 08. Car had done 94k! One plug was badly sooted up.

It also cleans up the lambda sensors.

Worth a shot alongside all the usual stuff like plugs and filters.

I did just come across that. I'll do the above first, then possibly try that cleaner. I was thinking though.. if the car was bad then there would be codes for that O2 sensor. Which he does not have.

Last edited:
5w30 or 0w30 is a good weight oil. Follow the olm. Replace the tranny filter and fluid (dex6). Change the diff fluid, this a must especially the front. Any syn 75w90 will do. the tranfercase fluid is easy to replace so u might as well do it too. While Ur at it, do the break fluid, power steering fluid and the dexcool. It's not a v6.

Last edited:
These engines will get serious carbon accumulation over time. I seafoamed mine many times. Now it drives without so much as a hiccup.
That multi system stuff can go into a vacuum line the same as Seafoam so give it a shot.

I would just use carb cleaner, non chlorinated brake cleaner or if you have MAF cleaner to clean IAC or EGR, they aren't that sensitive like MAF.

Putting additives in the gas tank will not work, as it is from PCV (IACV) and exhaust (EGR) that clog things up.

Last edited:
question. My dad and I tuned it up, added stuff to the fuel and pcv line. Truck is way smoother and the smell from the pipe is [censored] near gone. Now every so often he gets a rough idle , but as soon as he taps the pedal it goes away... Any idea?

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
Where is the location of the vac line?

Brake booster. There is a rubber line that runs to them. Unhook it from the pancake and slowly pour in whatever cleaner you've decided to use.

Let sit for 20 minutes after its applied. Make sure engine is hot prior to application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back