Talked wife through hooking up a battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noted that my wife has a tendency to turn the map lights on and forget, although this time it might have been my kid playing with the lights. I've gotten frantic calls to help out with a jump starter, but I no longer work close to home or wherever she might be close to home.

So it won't start and is parked in our garage. She's frantic on the phone and has about 90 minutes to take our kid to afternoon preschool. I need to talk her through EVERY STEP. She might have opened the hood before, but she doesn't remember. She needs me guide her through opening the hood release, undoing the latch, and even setting up the prop rod. This alone takes about three minutes.

Then it gets down to hooking up the charger. I tell her to look for a rectangular box, and she's telling me the clamp is broken. I'm trying to figure out what she's talking about, and then realize it's an old jump starter with a busted clamp that I gave to my parents new and that they sent back to me because they don't know how to fix it. Then she's found another box, and she says it's a Black & Decker box, which was the junk Vector/B&D jump starter that I got cheap but is too weak to start most of the time. I can't find the adapter to charge that thing anyways. So eventually she does find the right one and can hook up the positive clamp to the battery but can't figure out where to hook the ground clamp. I'm telling her to look for the connector to the ground wire. In the end I think I just should have told her to put it on the battery ground, but I'm worried that it might catch on fire.

And we're not done yet. Once plugged in, it doesn't start automatically as a safety measure. You have to press the buttons and select the battery type (STD/AGM) and charge rate (3V/12V). The indicators won't light up if it's not properly connected and there's a light to give a warning if it's reversed. I'm also checking Amazon.com for a picture of the thing so I'm not screwing up the directions by trying to describe what to press from memory. I finally talk her through to the point where the STD and 12V lights are on. She says the numerical display is flashing between 12(V) and 53(%), although I suspect that it's not that accurate when first hooking up to a battery that won't start the car.

So I suppose 30-35 minutes at 12A should be enough for her to start the car. I think it's too weak to start the car, but not completely dead. When I get home I'm going to put it on a 1.5A maintainer overnight to make sure it's fully charged. I should probably go through the steps in detail just in case she needs to do this again.

I remember letting a coworker borrow my jump starter (her husband took care of actually using the thing) but she just drove a couple of miles and it wouldn't start. I think an overnight charge at 1.5A and she wouldn't have that problem.

Keep killing the battery like that and you will need a new battery and alternator as alternators are not designed to charge dead batteries.
Maybe mention a $500 repair bill. Might help or might hurt. Good luck !

Interesting how the other battery chargers that were cluttering your garage but not on your mind, came to the surface and spurred conversation. My tool collection is similarly hectic.

Are you lucky enough that both your car battery/ cable/ cover and the alligator clips unite with reds and blacks?

perhaps this is the use case of getting smartphones and setting up skype/facetime; lol

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Interesting how the other battery chargers that were cluttering your garage but not on your mind, came to the surface and spurred conversation. My tool collection is similarly hectic.

Are you lucky enough that both your car battery/ cable/ cover and the alligator clips unite with reds and blacks?

Her car is a 2002 Civic, and the battery post is on top and has a red cover. However, I had one heck of a time trying to describe what I meant by the ground wire.

Actually, the first two things she found were jump starters. One might still work if I can figure out how to repair the clamp. The other I gave up on because it's too weak. The ratings for the Vector jump starters are way too optimistic. I think their heavier versions will work, but that basic one that sold for $35 just doesn't work for me unless I'm lucky. And on top of that, I think there might be three other chargers in the garage, although she started cleaning up that stuff because she thought the drawers needed to be aired out. I had a Schumacher 1A manual wall-wart charger, an older 1.5A Schumacher maintainer (the older, heavier version with a linear transformer), and a Harbor Freight maintainer that has less than a half amp output. I've also got the newer version of the Schumacher 1.5A maintainer, but I hooked that up to my parents' car while they were out of town and haven't gotten it back.

I'm just hoping that she drives her car for a while just in case it's not charged long enough for multiple starts.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Why don't you swap the bulbs out for LED's?

That was suggested before, wasn't it?

Yes, it was...and?

I'd also do these two things:

1. Buy a deep-cycle battery. What is lost in cranking amps will be made up for in potential durability.

2. Hookup some charging pig-tails, so that all she has to do is plug in, just like she would a block heater, and turn the charger on.

If she refuses to be more careful and you don't want to "teach her a lesson" by lettering her wait for you to come home and save the day (that won't benefit anyone,) you'd better figure out a way to mitigate the risk of dead batteries, which seem to be a common occurrence.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Yes, it was...and?

1. Buy a deep-cycle battery. What is lost in cranking amps will be made up for in potential durability.

2. Hookup some charging pig-tails, so that all she has to do is plug in, just like she would a block heater, and turn the charger on.

If she refuses to be more careful and you don't want to "teach her a lesson" by lettering her wait for you to come home and save the day (that won't benefit anyone,) you'd better figure out a way to mitigate the risk of dead batteries, which seem to be a common occurrence.

I might have a couple of those lying around from my maintainers. However, I don't want to see what happens if she needs to disconnect the clamps and messes up the connector.

And I just ordered three of those bulbs. Not sure if I got the right ones, but it was about $11 including shipping for three (2 map - 1 dome).

The leds will probably solve the problem. Id like to replace them in my Buick but I have at least 6 interior bulbs that come on when I open my door and the bulbs I want are expensive.

That doesn't even include the 4 bulbs for the vanity mirror that easily engage if the flap install closed right. Also have one in the ash tray and 1 in glove box. Strangely I have no bulbs under the hood.

Was it? I can't see that it was.

I do see that you have gone and purchased some LED bulbs, so you're welcome.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The leds will probably solve the problem. Id like to replace them in my Buick but I have at least 6 interior bulbs that come on when I open my door and the bulbs I want are expensive.

That doesn't even include the 4 bulbs for the vanity mirror that easily engage if the flap install closed right. Also have one in the ash tray and 1 in glove box. Strangely I have no bulbs under the hood.

I wasn't quite sure what to get. I ordered from superbrightleds.com. Just the basic 4 LED Festoon type for a DE3175 application. I replaced one of these things before and spent maybe $6 at a dealer. The Sylvania version was 10W while the OEM was 8W. I didn't want to risk it overheating. I'm pretty sure that won't be a problem, although I might have to play around with the orientation since they wont work in either direction like incandescents. They have some weird looking ones, including ones that don't look like they'd fit. The ones I got don't list the widest angle, but I don't know how critical that would be for map lights. There's no reflector or anything.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Yes, it was...and?

I might have a couple of those lying around from my maintainers. However, I don't want to see what happens if she needs to disconnect the clamps and messes up the connector.

The connection would be permanent, so unless she needs to swap the battery herself, she won't be messing with any contacts. Best case, you could buy a maintainer and plug it in every night when you get home, since she may not remember to on her own.

When I get home I'm going to put it on a 1.5A maintainer overnight to make sure it's fully charged.

A maintainer is designed to maintain a fully charged battery, at 13.2 volts or so, not charge it from any level of depletion. A 1.5 amp maintainer can only make this much current if the battery is low. Once it gets the battery in the high 12 volt range, which might take 24 to 60 hours, depending on the size of the battery and level of depletion, amps will taper to about 0.4, and once this 0.4 amps gets it to about 13.1 it will be about 0.1amps, if that.

If a 50 amp/hour battery is dead, at 10.5 volts, it will take a 13.2v maintainer, about two weeks to max out the specific gravity and fully charge the battery, and it might not even be able to do it in 2 weeks.

So hooking a maintainer to it overnight hoping it will top charge an abused undercharged starting battery is folly.

Hook a real automatic charger, of at least 6 amps to it overnight, then in the morning it will be in the 95% range. That last 5% takes forever, no matter how new your alternator, even if it is chromed. And that green fully charged light on automatic chargers, is also a liar. It should say charged enough, but full charge, not likely. A hydrometer will prove this.

You'll soon be buying a new battery for it anyway. Perhaps you should get some LED dome lights because this is going to happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back