How important is the FIAT 9.55535-S2 spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What engine you have in your car? Is it Multiar, T-Jet or NA? With Multiar things get complicated when choosing oil.
I would also recommend cutting in half your oil and filters change intervals if you have long drain intervals we get in Europe. Europe is pretty easy on cars due to mild climate, essentially no dust and good roads. Anyway good luck and report back what you choose in the end.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chrisri
What engine you have in your car? Is it Multiar, T-Jet or NA? With Multiar things get complicated when choosing oil.
I would also recommend cutting in half your oil and filters change intervals if you have long drain intervals we get in Europe. Europe is pretty easy on cars due to mild climate, essentially no dust and good roads. Anyway good luck and report back what you choose in the end.

It's a T-Jet with 155hp Turbo.
I have been doing that already. They recommended me to change the oil every 10000km but I prefer to do every 5000km, more so that I mostly do short drives and an occasional 500km drive once every 2 months.

The last time I didn't do my proper research with the oil I used (a Castrol Edge with SPT), but it doesn't have the ACEA C3 nor FIAT 9.55535-S2 specs.
This time I want to do the full service, so, I did a research on how to change the spark plugs, filters and everything. That's how it came to learn about the type of oil that my car uses.

First you need to find out what type of fuel is available where you live. Toughest FIAT oil spec is 9.55535-Z2 and is equivalent to MB 229.5 specification. This will provide best protection for your turbo engine if you have high sulphur fuel. If not ,any C3, MB 229.51 (same specification as FIAT 9.55535-S2 ) is good.

Last edited:
You'll note that they claim against ACEA xxx-08 specs. This is not allowed - ACEA update their specs every 2 years and you must meet the latest version of the spec within 1 year of its implementation.

It is currently impossible to meet all of those ACEA specs with one oil because of mutually exclusive ash, phos and TBN requirements. Back in 2008 you could physico-chemically meet the specs but it is vanishingly unlikely that you could have achieved the fuel economy requirements of ACEAs A1/B1, A5/B5 and C2 with an oil that has >3.5 HTHS (required for C3 as well as A3/B3 and A3/B4).

Furthermore, they quote a TBN of 7.4, but the ACEA Ax/Bx specs demand >8. I suspect the footnotes say something along the lines of "meets the engine test requirements of...", but again I would doubt you can get M111FE results with a >3.5 HTHS oil, especially at 5W-40.

First you need to find out what type of fuel is available where you live. Toughest FIAT oil spec is 9.55535-Z2 and is equivalent to MB 229.5 specification. This will provide best protection for your turbo engine if you have high sulphur fuel. If not ,any C3, MB 229.51 (same specification as FIAT 9.55535-S2 ) is good.

Alright, I asked around, and it appears the the amount of sulphurs has a range with values starting at 6 mg/kg until 221 mg/kg...but historical average it's 28.76 mg/kg.

I don't know if that's a lot or not.

Those values are of one specific brand or are an average of all brands in the country????, for example in Europe the limit of sulfur is between 5-10 ppm (mg/kg). Here in Mexico there are only 2 brands, Premium (30 ppm average, 80 max) and Magna (300ppm average, 500 max)) so if your brand gets an average of 28.76 ppm then the sulfur probably is not a big problem.

But in any case you can't use the drain intervals of Europe of 20,000 to 30,000 km, maybe somewhere between 10,000 to 15,000 kms.

Are the values for a specific type, petrol in CR is handled by the State, so there's only one bran, but has 2 types, one it's "regular" that has 90 octanes and "Super" that comes with 95 octanes.

The values I put before are the ones for the "Super" kind, that is the one I use on my car, since it's the "best" available
smirk.gif

Well 29 ppm on averege could be considered lowish, but how often it jumps to 221 ppm witch is a lot of sulphur. Alfas recommendation to use low SAPS oils in your country contradict everything we know about oils, and only shows that manufacturer will give recommendation that will get him clean out of warranty period. Although with 5 k km oil change you are good, oil will handle it easily, even higher levels of sulphur. Try shop online (it could be cheaper) ACEA C3 oils with MB 229.51 specification, forget about Fiat ones, they are harder to find. Do not forget air filter every 20-30k at least.

http://tbl.onion.it/iframe_main_catalogo...;id_categoria=8

Factory OCI is 18.5k or once a year.

Oils that meet BMW Longlife 04 (5W40, API SM or SN, ACEA C3) spec will work, might be easier to find. As in:

Amsoil European Formula 5W40
Motul 8100 X-clean 5W40
Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W40
eni i-sint MS 5W40
Valvoline Synpower MST 5W40
Castrol EDGE 5W40 C3

(Or Mobil 1 ESP 0W40 from Europe if you can get your hands on it)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
http://tbl.onion.it/iframe_main_catalogo...;id_categoria=8

Factory OCI is 18.5k or once a year.

Oils that meet BMW Longlife 04 (5W40, API SM or SN, ACEA C3) spec will work, might be easier to find. As in:

Amsoil European Formula 5W40
Motul 8100 X-clean 5W40
eni i-sint MS 5W40
Castrol EDGE 5W40 C3

(Or Mobil 1 ESP 0W40 from Europe if you can get your hands on it)

Awesome thanks! I will see if I can find any of those.

Alright I found that they sell here the
Motul 8100 X-clean 5W40
Castrol EDGE 5W40 C3 (even tho it says that it's only for diesels)

Out of those 3.. which one is the best? or more recommended?
They are all around the same price (~$17) except the castrol that cost almost $30 per litter

Originally Posted By: IDLoco
Motul 8100 X-clean 5W40

They are all around the same price (~$17) except the castrol that cost almost $30 per litter

Buy the cheapest one from reputable manufacturer. ACEA C3 is for diesels with DPF, but is also for Direct Injected petrols.

Originally Posted By: IDLoco
Motul 8100 X-clean 5W40

Buy the cheapest one from reputable manufacturer. ACEA C3 is for diesels with DPF, but is also for Direct Injected petrols.

C3 is for any gasoline running low sulphur fuels. The lower ash and sulphur in the engine oil helps protect catalyst life.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Any oil with ACEA C3 meets the Fiat S2 requirements.

No, it doesn't. Not even every MB229.51 oil meets the S2 spec.

Just need to get this out there as things could go wrong quickly, and cost a lot to fix.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Any oil with ACEA C3 meets the Fiat S2 requirements.

No, it doesn't. Not even every MB229.51 oil meets the S2 spec.

Just need to get this out there as things could go wrong quickly, and cost a lot to fix.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between S2 and C3 is a lower Noack for S2; other than that it is essentially a viscosity-limited ACEA C3 spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back