Anyone use Bluetooth OBDII Scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Don't leave it connected all the time.

Add an switch to turn it off. There are pictures on Amazon showing how to do it to the bafx products scanner. Pin 16 is the battery supply.

I don't think it will draw enough current to drain a healthy battery. I've left mine connected over night a few nights (in my garage) and had no starting issues.

I can't imagine it's a high current draw device.

But, it doesn't hurt to take it out either.

I suspect it's no more current than the radio, ECM or what might be listening for your keyless entry fob.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I had it connected for maybe 15 minutes Wednesday night.

I saw it left a light on and I didn't want to drain the battery so it came in with me. That, and I don't like leaving electronics out in the car on cold nights.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Well, if it (the kickstarter thingy) did that, the regular price of $120 will be a bargain. And if it did NOT do that, the discounted price of even $49 would be too much!

Agreed. Looks like it's selling for $100 currently, but says "Estimated Availability: August". And no manufacturer specific PIDs, so no oil temp reading in my case.

Go for the BAFX on Amazon if your on a budget
A OBDLink MX for STN1110 over Bluetooth
A OBDLink SX for the same over USB
And the Batman Linux homemade one for STN1170, BT 4.0, And a smaller size

What's a good ap and obd2 port adapter to use with iPhone?

Do I want it to be bluetooth or wifi? Which works better?

Right now I'm looking at DashCommand for the ap, and GoPoint BT1 for the adapter. It's kinda expensive, is there something that works at a lower cost?

Pretty sure you need it to be WiFi in order for it to work wirelessly with an iPhone. Last I knew, iPhone bluetooth did not communicate data, only audio.

Lately, I am seeing lots of cheap aftermarket OEM support scanners e.g. iCarSoft i990 for Honda/Acura. It claims to support lots of systems (such as ABS, AirBag, Electrical Power Steering etc) from those cars; it looks like a clone of HDS. Unfortunately, it is parse on documentation. Given the low entry price (under $100) I might be tempted.

Anybody else have experience with iCarSoft scanners?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Anybody else have experience with iCarSoft scanners?

They look like interesting products, but given all the grammatical errors on their website likely due to loose translations from a foreign language, I just don't have confidence in the retail product. If they can't take the time to get their advertising materials right...how good is the product?

Originally Posted By: iCarsoft.com
Honda Scan Tool can test and erase the car trouble codes and read the relative trouble codes.

Also many mechanical problems, such as poor engine performance due to low fuel level, electrical wire or electrical connectors, damaged soft cube, can also cause faked trouble codes.

Therefore you need to refer to the car service pamphlet to get more instruction information when you test before you know the mechanical problems.

I certainly don't want poor engine performance due to electrical wire, or faked trouble codes from a damaged soft cube! Maybe instead, I'll refer to the car service pamphlet to get more instruction information...
wink.gif

There are at least three other manufacturer claiming to have similar capabilities. Funny thing is, iCarSoft claims to have an office in Northern Virginia; may be they can hire a translator to fix their documentation. I know Autel cleaned up quite a lot since establishing its presence in US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back