What to use in place of Mobilgear 600 XP 100?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a designed in Germany, made in China gear head milling machine. The manual specifies Mobilgear 627 for the gearbox "or a corresponding oil ISO VG 100, viscosity 100 cSt at 40°C". In doing a bit of research, it seems this gear lube was replaced by Mobilgear 600 XP 100.

I have been unsuccessful in finding a source for this oil, particularly in a quantity of a couple quarts. I found a 5 gal bucket on Amazon, but that's a few lifetimes of oil for my little machine. What do you think about using Mobil 1 75W-90 automotive gear lube instead? The viscosity is approximately correct, and it is intended for lubricating gears and bearings.

Thanks,
-Steve

Hi, Steve. Welcome to the forum.

Mobil 1 75w-90 would be appropriate.

P.S. - Good on you for taking the initiative and doing some research beforehand!

Tom:

So what's wrong with an automotive multi-vis oil?

I checked Grainger and McMaster, and they do not offer any gear lubes with an ISO 100 viscosity in under a 5 gallon quantity.

Thanks,
-Steve

I don't think that product exists in one gallon containers. Your next best option might be to contact local oil jobbers/distributors in your town, find out if they have sold a pail of that product to anyone, then go there with a clean gallon container and see if they would be kind enough to sell you some.

Here is a cross reference chart of other products: https://metalfluids.com/images/lubricant_cross_reference.pdf

If you were driving through mid Michigan I would gladly give you a gallon out of my 5 gallon pail of Mobil 600.

The reason I wouldn't use an SAE gear oil is the manuf. specified a particular oil by viscosity, brand, and product line. They spec an ISO 100 oil, a SAE 75w-90 can be anywhere between ISO 22 and ISO 320. I have talked to Chevron's tech support in the past and they did not recommend using SAE gear oil in place of industrial oils.

There are two things I would do. First I would call the machine manufacturer and ask if mobilgear 600 XP ISO 150 is okay because you can buy it by the gallon. If you have to stick to ISO 100 then I would buy an ISO 100 gear oil from McMaster-Carr.

While the SAE range is very wide, actual products aren't. Check the spec sheets. A typical 75W-90 will be around 115 cSt or so at 40ºC, but I would go synthetic to eliminate shear of polymers in the gear box. The automotive product will have two to three times the EP level, so unless there is brass in it, you are good.

The bearings all appear to be deep groove ball bearings, and the gears are hardened steel. The drive motor is 3 hp, with a maximum speed of about 3000 rpm. Max spindle speed is the same when in high gear.

-Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back