Which side to put 'better' tire on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometime before winter, I'll be rotating the tires on the Sedona. Of the two tires that will be coming up front (the van is FWD), one of them is newer and has more tread. Should I put the tire on a certain side? In other words is one wheel the dominant drive wheel over the other? I'm honestly not too knowledgeable about differentials and how/when they work, so this may be a silly question. But I don't know!

I don't believe there should be any noticeable difference between putting the better tire on the left or right.

The differential, which I assume is a standard open differential, just allows the two tires to spin at different speeds, as needed when turning. If one has more traction than the other, the one with less traction might spin freely.

Because of that, I might put on the better tire on the right just because I know that there's always a driver on the left, which might mean a little more weight/traction on that side.

Probably splitting hairs at that point.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I don't believe there should be any noticeable difference between putting the better tire on the left or right.

The differential, which I assume is a standard open differential, just allows the two tires to spin at different speeds, as needed when turning. If one has more traction than the other, the one with less traction might spin freely.

Because of that, I might put on the better tire on the right just because I know that there's always a driver on the left, which might mean a little more weight/traction on that side.

Probably splitting hairs at that point.

IIRC the differential is open-style. So either way, the tire with less traction might spin more freely than the other, regardless of what side the better tire is on?

I believe so.

The total torque output of an open differential is limited by the tire with the least traction.

The difference is so small as to be negligible.

But.. "there is the right way, the wrong way and the Army Way".

The deep meaning of that saying is that you should always do something consistently. Is it better to drive on the right or left side of the road? We can argue the trivial advantages of one or the other, or all just drive on the right.

If there is a better tire, put it on the curb side (right side). That side has the rougher road and higher turning loads. But it's really so that it's done consistently, without deep thought every time.

If you turn right briskly eg to enter traffic you turn sharper than you would turn left. This magnifies the torque on the passenger front wheel and makes it patch out more easily.

Also if you're somewhere with ice/ snow banks the snow melts and refreezes in the shoulder more than the middle of the road.

Why not move it up front early and do rotations of the best tire on the left/ right front and leave the other 3 among the "mostly rear" position?

On most FWD vehicles, the passenger side front tire wears the most, then the driver's side front, then the passenger side rear, with the driver's side rear wearing the least.

Often a diagonal / cross rotation pattern (front to rear - diagonally) obtains very good long-term results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back