Todays tire shops-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I had some service at a local independent tire shop that was better than I've seen in some time. They're website actually 'invites' customers into the shop area-so that should have been a tipoff. Also, as I arrived saw several collector cars being worked on and a couple that the shop owner keeps there-and a highway patrolman was getting a couple new tires. $25 for tire R+R includes rim seat area corosion grinding, tire/rim sealer, valve stems, force balancing and disposal of the old skins-this their standard. The manager was a young shop guy there 25 years ago-so knows his stuff-even trues tires now and then. Many in the shop also have longevity so a stable/knowlegable workforce. Anyway, after using Discount and Tires Plus a few times with some 'horrors', nice to see the 'old model' still around.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Every shop is different.

Even the same shop, quality varies widely depending on person working on your car.

Completely agree on this.

At any discount tire, you have the 2 week old hire that knows nothing or the 10 year season vet taking care of your car/tire or vice versa.

That being said, my old man has been pushing me to open up a small tire shop. I just dont see $$ to be made tho. But i would have a simple flat rate and clean/open atmosphere mentioned if i was to do something.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
tire shops as a whole need to slow down and do better balancing
quality not rush rush rush

That is the truth , Had to take the TBird to FORD to get my tires & wheels balanced right.

But if they slow down and do it right--then it'll cost more. People will go elsewhere 'cuz it's cheaper to do so.

The mom and pop immigrant owned tire shop I go to has a lot of businesses from the nearby dealerships. The dealers send in van full of rims to be resurfaced on a regular basis.

My local Tire Barn trashed the paint on my factory alloy wheels when I got new tires. Been using them for years with no issues, then this. Looked like the wheel weights were removed with a hammer and a crow bar, tooling gouges that looked like they used a tire machine from the 70's, paint around the lug nut wells knocked off from letting the impact socket rattle around. I won't be going back for my future tire needs.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
tire shops as a whole need to slow down and do better balancing
quality not rush rush rush

sometimes it depends on equipment and how often they are calibrated.

also depends on how the tire is mounted on the rim with the specified dots etc.

Originally Posted By: supton
But if they slow down and do it right--then it'll cost more. People will go elsewhere 'cuz it's cheaper to do so.

Yup. Therein lies the issue. And then the shops that are supposed to be experts, arent, and bust your wheels... BTDT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back