2003 Lexus GS-430, Amsoil ASL 5W-30, 4,557 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The latest on my 2003 Lexus GS-430. Minor surprise on the Aluminum level, but I'm not particularly worried about it. This oil was in service for almost 11 months, so this car sees very little use.

The VOA of this oil shows a virgin Tan OF 4.6, so it has increased by 2.3. Although it sounds like a high TAN, I don't think an increase of 2.3 is excessive, but I am interested in other opinions on this...Look at my other UOA on the Camry - it had a TAB of 7.5! That's the highest TAN I Have ever had on an Engine oil.

Last edited:
Boss302fan -

For most of the life of this vehicle (up until about 90,000 miles), I used Mobil 1 5W-30EP. I still think it's an excellent oil, but I wasn't quite satisfied with its TBN retention. I switched to Amsoil signature 5W-30, and have been happy with its performance - I'm not really considering switching at this point.

Having said that, I plan to buy a new Camry in about a year or so. I'm interested in using Red Line 0W-20 in it. It's way overkill for casual use, but I am considering it just to satisfy my curiosity.

Originally Posted By: btanchors
Boss302fan -

For most of the life of this vehicle (up until about 90,000 miles), I used Mobil 1 5W-30EP. I still think it's an excellent oil, but I wasn't quite satisfied with its TBN retention. I switched to Amsoil signature 5W-30, and have been happy with its performance - I'm not really considering switching at this point.

Having said that, I plan to buy a new Camry in about a year or so. I'm interested in using Red Line 0W-20 in it. It's way overkill for casual use, but I am considering it just to satisfy my curiosity.

5000 miles on a premium 25000 mile oil. And more than enough TBN to double the interval.
You want opinions,how about utter and total waste.
You could run a conventional for that same interval at half the price and get the same uoa other than tbn might be finished which would necessitate changing the oil.
Oil cannot tell time,regardless of what an oem says.

Why even use a synthetic. They last longer in service. They don't magically make an engine last longer especially when dumping them eons before the oil has exhausted its usefulness.

Clevy,

I understand what you are saying. For what it's worth, I did not change the oil when I took this sample - but I probably will in the next month or so.

The maker of the oil says up to 25K miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. Obviously, in my case, one year is coming first. The manual for the vehicle says to change it every 7,500 miles or one year, whichever comes first. The one year mark will be here next month, so I am almost there.

Finally, Look at the TAN rating. At 6.9, it's up 2.3 points from its virgin value. Interestingly, that's even more than the same oil on my Tundra, which went twice as many miles. I think the short tripping is probably stressing the oil more than the actual miles are.

I agree, I according to the analysis, I can go further on this oil, and in fact, I am. But I don't think changing the oil once a year is excessive. My purpose in choosing the synthetic is for better cold starts, and insurance that I can go an entire year, almost regardless of miles (I seldom do over 15K miles in a year on any of my vehicles). I use oil analysis to ensure the engine is operating properly, and to verify there are no problems internally. I don't necessarily want to squeak every last mile out of the oil.

I probably could use a non-synthetic here. What would you recommend?

Use caution. I'm sure Redline is a great oil and performs well in the right application. BUT, the phosphorus levels are in the 1100 ppm range. API SN/GF-5 oils have a maximum of 800 ppm in order to prevent potential damage, over time, to the catalytic converters. For your application, it may not be a good choice. See this VOA of Redline 0w-20.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3189622/1

I agree, I according to the analysis, I can go further on this oil, and in fact, I am. But I don't think changing the oil once a year is excessive. My purpose in choosing the synthetic is for better cold starts, and insurance that I can go an entire year, almost regardless of miles (I seldom do over 15K miles in a year on any of my vehicles). I use oil analysis to ensure the engine is operating properly, and to verify there are no problems internally. I don't necessarily want to squeak every last mile out of the oil.

I probably could use a non-synthetic here. What would you recommend?

No non-synthetic will provide better cold start performance. Amsoil AZO 0w-30 will provide a small improvement. The fact is, all Amsoil SS oils excel in cold start performance. The faster the oil flows at start up at any temp, the better. No non synthetic even comes close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back