Innovative oil drain plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi BITOG'ers

During a search for spare parts on a German website I kinda stumbled over this(link below).. It's a new type of drain plug / drain valve. I think it's worth a try even though it's a little pricey, ~20€.

What do you think about this product?

Ablassen_EN_250.gif

http://www.stahlbus.com/info/en/products/oil-drain-valves

I like a nice stainless steel magnetic drain plug.

It helps remove iron from the oil, it doesn't rust, and it is cheap.

I'm nervous with quick systems like this as they may fail.

I change my oil twice a year so "time saving" isn't an issue.

I can see how a quick lube place would like everyone to have the above system, as they change oil in 50+ cars a day, so this could mean more profit for them.

But apparently those quick lube places, to speed things up, simply don't change your oil at all.

The problem I see is the time it takes to drain....

having this device screwed into your pan will reduce flow, and the ball valve will also help to restrict flow.

also if any debris got between the ball valve and seat, causing a small leak, you could drive down the road 5 miles and loose all your motor oil... and don't tell me the tech will remember to reinstall the cap!

I can change oil faster with a air ratchet and my fingers.

I've seen this type of fitting used on industrial hydraulic oil system reservoirs. They are commonly used for attaching a filter cart to bypass filter a hydraulic oil reservoir while the system is in operation. It is a clever adaptation for this fitting and I'm sure it would work fine, but I don't think there is much advantage for automotive applications. The major benefit I see is the hose may make the draining process a little cleaner. I personally would consider a Fumoto valve before something like this.

Hello, I gotta go with the prediction of restricted flow.
The likelihood of losing the drain actuator/hose is high.
Like the Fomoto valve, it reduces ground clearance.
If the Fomoto can leak with it's fuller socket, this one can with its mere seat.
There's little benefit to this hardware on passenger cars.

Very similar to Femco, Easy Drain
It does not offer low profile option but the brands above doo...

Looks like a nice product

These have been around for years as a no mess solution to pump oil out of machinery. Paving machines use them because it is near impossible to catch oil for routine maintenance, the adapter hose is a pain in the but.

Some fleet trucks have these to pump 10-12 gallons of oil directly into a waste oil tank... No real benefit on a typical vehicle.

Yeah I've had types of those on my old 444 and 466 international wash trucks and street sweepers. Work great. Never had a problem.

Last edited:
I'm not too fond of anything that screws on to an oil drain hole in an automotive application. By design, the oil drain hole must be at the lowest point. They keep packing everything in, so the oil drain plug is the lowest of the low. If you run over something, the drain plug could take a shot. A simple, screw-in bolt is sturdy, robust and reliable. That's just my take on the matter.

That reminds me of how the oil is drained from the cartridge filter on my wife's vw.

Why they couldn't install the cartridge straight up and make it easily serviceable is beyond me. Stuff like this adds unneeded complexity, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
I'm not too fond of anything that screws on to an oil drain hole in an automotive application. By design, the oil drain hole must be at the lowest point. They keep packing everything in, so the oil drain plug is the lowest of the low. If you run over something, the drain plug could take a shot. A simple, screw-in bolt is sturdy, robust and reliable. That's just my take on the matter.

Possible. Never happened to us.

We used to run Fumotos on everything in our fleet. But we ditched them after noticing a sludgy buildup on the bottom of an oil pan we pulled off an engine in for rebuild. The Fumoto slows the drain significantly, so you don't get the fast, flushing action that the original plug allows when removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back