Clicking/creeking power steering when turning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It started a few months ago in the Ford, when moving very slowly i.e parking, I would hear and feel the odd click through the steering wheel. A few weeks later I turned the steering wheel fully with the engine off and no power steering and that made it a lot worse.
Now when I turn at low speeds there are almost constant clicks that make a creeking sound which I can feel as tapping in the steering wheel
I think the noise is coming from the steering rack somewhere inside where it joins to the column and I can feel the tapping when I put my hand there.
Is it basically stuffed and need replacing if it is the rack or could it be something minor?

You may have a CV Joint Boot that has torn and has allowed the grease to leak out.

Have you noticed an leaks under the vehicle?

This is the typical failure, usually the half shaft!

It is rear wheel drive so no CV joints but someone did recommend a ball joint, but I can't feel the clicking near them
Also may I add I think it started happening after I replaced the struts on the front, not sure if this would have anything to do with it but I was thinking maybe something got damaged as hammers were flying under there at times haha

Tis a tricky one! I'll give it a more thorough look over but hopefully it's going to see a proper mechanic soon! Thanks for the suggestions
smile.gif

Heh heh I discovered a bad tie rod end when my 2 yr old grandson was "driving" If he turned the unlocked wheel. It would make an audible clunk.

Had this happen on my wrx. It was the steering coupler , it's between the steering column and rack. I pulled it and found the lower bearings were frozen. Steering was really creaky

Fords were famous for bad lower ball joints causing noise because they cannot be greased. Once they start getting noisy, they can break leaving you with a dangerous situation.Not uncommon to have to replace with low miles. If they are bad, try to get replacements that are greasable and you will never have this problem again.Moog made them when I replaced mine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back