ZF6 and XT-M5-QS question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello every body new guy here. I tried doing a search on this and either I don't know how to do a search or it hasn't been covered.

but I have a 08 f250 diesel 4x4 with a 6speed, and have been searching what kind of fluid it takes, nobody can seem to give me a answer, I've been told to use every thing from 90wt gear oil to Motorcraft sp to standard 10w40, so I contacted ford and they said to only use XT-M5-QS 28 bucks a qt!
There has to be something else I can safely use in its place.
RP Synchromax?
M1 manual tans fluid?
Hows about this stuff.
http://www.sypenl.com/wynn-synthetic-transfer-case-wynns-usa.html?
Or is my only option the ford Fluid?
Any info you could give me would a be life saver, thank you for your help guys.

I bought the fluid from a dealer kinda local to me for around $14.00. You could always give them a call: http://www.fordparts.com/bowenscarff

They ship parts, as well. That fluid is a GL-4 75W90 MTF fluid. The Wynn's fluid to which you linked meets the spec, so you could certainly use it.

I will say that I pulled the factor fill out of a Ford Focus with 7 years and 90K on the clock, and the uber-expensive MC fluid looked to be in very good condition--and I didn't notice any difference in shift quality after replacing the old fluid. So, the MC certainly seems to be a high-quality fluid. Since it's a fluid that doesn't need changed that often, I decided to buck up and pay the $14.00. Of course, I have a 2 quart sump with my MT.

If your Ford dealer is selling you that $15/quart oil for $28 you should at least get a kiss on the cheek and some flowers.

And remember, if you drop your keys in the parts department you'd better kick them north to Montgomery before you pick them up.

Use the Motorcraft oil but buy it somewhere else. And do the oil change yourself. You'll have fun, get greasy, ruin a perfectly good t-shirt, end up with a funnel, some clear plastic tubing that will drip on your shoes and know that it was done correctly and with the very oil that you purchased.

I bit the bullet for the fancy ford stuff for my focus. It works well enough and for how often I have to change it, I thought I might as well get something that's known to work.
I have run lots of different fluids in the Trackers trans trying to help the 2nd gear syncro, but none of them really have made it better or worse. Just make sure the fluid is yellow metals compatible.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If your Ford dealer is selling you that $15/quart oil for $28 you should at least get a kiss on the cheek and some flowers.

And remember, if you drop your keys in the parts department you'd better kick them north to Montgomery before you pick them up.

Use the Motorcraft oil but buy it somewhere else. And do the oil change yourself. You'll have fun, get greasy, ruin a perfectly good t-shirt, end up with a funnel, some clear plastic tubing that will drip on your shoes and know that it was done correctly and with the very oil that you purchased.

$15 is below dealer cost for that fluid. MSRP is $21.31 a quart.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/mantrans.pdf

Any GL4 75w90.
Amsoil MTG
Redline MT90
Ford XT M5 QS
Idemitsu MTF
Pennzoil 56076

Thank you for all the reply's guys this really cleared it up for me. So pretty much any Full Syn Manual fluid will work. I have a few bottles of RP Synchromax I got from a trade a while back, so I think i'm gonna go with that. No reason to toss it out
smile.gif
I can buy Wynn products for cost so that might end up in the transfer case.
I head the running Gear oil is a bad idea in the transmission? some one told me it will eat up the synchros?

Who said any? It's should be a 75w90 GL4. RP Synchromax is thin like ATF.

I'm guessing Ford went thick to protect the trans from diesel torque and tow capabilities.

GL5 hearsay continues to spread.

I'm guessing Ford went thick to protect the trans from diesel torque and tow capabilities.

Sorry if I'm a little ignorant on this subject.

wont the friction modifiers in gear oils be harmful to the soft metals in the transmission?

Thanks for the link bro, but I aint paying 200 bucks for trans fluid. That's beyond reason. Just trying to find out what I can use in its place.

Here is a list of fluids appropriate for the Ford 6-speed:

Quote:
J. The next higher viscosity MTLs in the 14-15 cSt (75W90) range would be:

1. Amsoil MTG

2. Redline MT-90

3. Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90

4. Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75w-90

5. Ford XT-75W90-QGT (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)

6. Ford MOTORCRAFT® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid XT-M5-QS

Manual Transmissions and Lubricants

I would not use anything lower in viscosity than a 75W90. Not all MT lubes are the same. There are different viscosities for different applications.

As another poster has stated, the torque requirements in this case neccessitate a thick film 75W90.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back