Going from V to H or T

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering how much you compromise the handling of your car going from a V rated tire to a H or even T rated tire. Could it have an effect on the safety of the car handling wise?

From speed rating alone, the only thing it should effect is what speed the tire is safe to. If the vehicle came stock with V rated tires, then the speed limiter shouldn't kick in till around 149mph...

The car is a Chevy Malabu with 215/55/17 92V rated tires.... They could be lover on that aspect ratio like 50 just can't recall. It is not driven hard at all.

LOL yeah, you definitely don't need V-rated tires on a Malibu! Even on some of their high-powered V8 SS models they limit the speed to like 108 yet equip the car with Z-rated tires!

You can definitely use T-rated tires with no worries
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
You can definitely use T-rated tires with no worries
smile.gif

If it came with V-rated tires from the factory, then good luck finding a tire shop that will be willing to install T-rated tires on it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
If it came with V-rated tires from the factory, then good luck finding a tire shop that will be willing to install T-rated tires on it.

Yeah I know most shops won't install the T's, but that's not what the OP was asking. He was merely asking about how the car would feel and drive if he got the lower-rated tires.

Some shops might, particularly the ones that want to make a sale, have specials going on, etc.

Another way around this is with those all-weather tires like the Vredestein Quatrac 3 and Nokian WRG3. They are legally considered winter tires since they have the mountain and snowflake, and tire shops generally are willing to install a lower speed rating on snow tires.

Supposedly Mavis Tire is willing to install lower speed ratings.

My car calls for H or V rated tires and I just noticed yesterday the tires on it are T rated tires that were bought at Discount Tire

I've heard that in general for the same tire, H and V rated tires are those that turned out less perfect than the Z. Whether this is true or not is a different story.

It's somewhat like how they grade CPUs.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
My car calls for H or V rated tires and I just noticed yesterday the tires on it are T rated tires that were bought at Discount Tire

And with data to support such a decision, it makes logical sense - a quick search over at C&D shows '04 Jetta TDI with a top speed of 115 mph. Heck, even a '13 Beetle TDI (with 10hp/59 lb-ft more) hits a governor limited 114. Given that information, a T rated tire (118mph) is perfectly acceptable (given that the tire manufacturer warranty terms are OK with the change).

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

And with data to support such a decision, it makes logical sense - a quick search over at C&D shows '04 Jetta TDI with a top speed of 115 mph. Heck, even a '13 Beetle TDI (with 10hp/59 lb-ft more) hits a governor limited 114. Given that information, a T rated tire (118mph) is perfectly acceptable (given that the tire manufacturer warranty terms are OK with the change).
I never said it could or would go fast enough to take advantage of those speeds, I'm saying what the car calls for yet Discount Tire mounted a rated tire. Previous posts conflicted with this saying they wouldn't.

Again, I never said it was a hot rod

In my experience, those guys have not been very good about following the rules.

Even though I have to ask questions myself and get opinions on tire related issues, I do believe, from my own experience that, if your vehicle came with "V" Speed Rated Tires and you wish to install a lesser speed rated tire on the vehicle that:

You will probably enjoy the ride more during everyday type driving and the tire will probably have more than enough general handling for your tastes and personal capabilities, especially considering the size in question(215-55-17) and vehicle in particular(Chevy Malibu).

The Malibu is a nice smooth/quiet riding car(good looking too) and I am sure that the OP enjoys the Malibu for these attributes!

Though, as others have stated, you may have difficulty finding an installer that will install a lesser speed rating or even slightly difference size on your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
I've heard that in general for the same tire, H and V rated tires are those that turned out less perfect than the Z. Whether this is true or not is a different story.

That is not true. They do not test a tire after it's manufactured and then assign the speed rating based on that testing. The speed rating for the tire line and specific sizes are determined during tire design, and materials and construction type are specified up front to meet the desired speed rating.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

Definitely not true, as Hokie already noted. A tire must use a different construction in order to meet the higher speed rating requirements. Besides, how would you imagine this work? They don't test every tire they make for speed rating compliance. And even if they did, how would they then note the speed rating on the sidewall? With a Sharpie marker?

1) As a general rule, the higher the speed rating, they better the handling

- BUT -

There are enough exceptions to almost render this generalization as false.

So if you are concerned about the handling, you need to ask question before you use a lower speed rating - and even if you are using the same speed rating.

2) Many tire shops will not install a tire of a less rating - both load and speed. It is my understanding the Discount Tire is one of those - although there seems to be some exceptions. All I can tell you is MY experience with DTC is that they follow these rules without exception.

3) Yes, the tires are designed from the gitgo for a certain speed rating. They are NOT individually tested as the test destroys the tire.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
They don't test every tire they make for speed rating compliance. And even if they did, how would they then note the speed rating on the sidewall? With a Sharpie marker?

And going further along this line of thinking...say a tire fails the Z test. By failing the test, the tire would have actually failed. There's no way they'd be able to sell a tire that failed a test, not as an H-rated tire, not as a T-rated tire...heck, not as a SPARE tire!

I put T-rated Hankook H727 on my 07 Hyundai Sonata. It originally came with V-rated tires, which are stupid on such a bland family sedan.

I didn't notice a significant difference in handling going from V-rated Michelins to T-rated Hankooks, but the NF Sonata has the driving dynamics of an overcooked noodle.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
It originally came with V-rated tires, which are stupid on such a bland family sedan.

Your Sonata has a governor limited top speed of 134. H-rating is 130, and the next is V at 149. Now you know why it's equipped with those stupid tires.

Also, since you're running Hankook, take a look at the warranty requirements:

"This warranty applies if all following qualification requirements are met:
The tire was purchased after January 1, 2013.
The tire is a size, load rating and speed rating equal to or greater than that recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.
The tires have not become unserviceable due to a condition listed under WHAT IS NOT COVERED."

So, congratulations on voiding your warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back