Purolator report

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm here to report my experiences with Purolator oil filters. I have been running Purolator in my cars and trucks for years. Never once did I notice a problem. I use full synthetic oil (usually Valvoline), and change at 5000 miles. The oil seems just fine every time I change it. I have used fram, and did have problems. The last time I used a fram, I opened the box and the rubber gasket was broken. I looked, and sure enough, made in china. Well that makes sense. Every Purolator I have bought has been made in usa, and has always been in good condition. I only use the basic oil filters, not the $10+ ones. The other good ones are the OEM ones like motorcraft and AC Delco, but they are often nowhere to be found. I don't over think oil changes. Its a filter, it works, what more do I need? A few years ago I read that Purolator's were having a tearing issue, and this board made it seem very common. Since then, I have been cutting open every oil filter (I change it ever oil change). I have put on about 25,000 miles, so 5 oil changes. Every single one has come back in perfect condition. I even changed oil on my truck recently, and again, perfect. I cut open a fram once. It looked fine, but what really troubled me was the fiber end caps, if you could call them that. They were more of ragged, hexagon shaped cardboard. My 2 cents.

Not all models of Purolators were showing media tears. There is a thread with a link to an Excel spreadsheet that was created by member Stu_Rock. Based on the reports and photos posted on BITOG, some models definitely had design/quality issues going on. What model number Purolator are you using? One guy not having a problem doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

Glad you like them. Almost no Frams, if any at all, are made in China though...

What Puro are you using? Not all have had the tearing issue, sounds like you are good to carry on.

Most of these failures are coming from the filter being used for longer than designed for. Purolator recommends only 3k miles on the classic filter and 5k on the pure 1. People reporting in with problems are almost always in the 7k+ oci range and using classic from what I have seen.

Glad you found a purolator that didn't tear personally we could not take any chances with them on our rebuilt engines our reputation is more important..
We e mailed them asking about the tearing issues twice and got NO response from them.
We purchased hundreds and hundreds of their group 7 and Classics and also motorcraft for most of the fords and they know it now when we ask a question we don't get an answer!
No problem a lot of shops i know don't use them anymore and i mentioned the tear issue at one of my monthly engine rebuilding association meetings and many already knew about their quality problems.. I took the sign down that we had up for over 25 years and replaced it with a wix sign although we pay more for wix at the moment i cant take the chance.
For a lot of years they were my favorite because i prefer flow over filtration but unless they improve the tear issues and the wavy media i will pay the slight extra and get the better filter.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Almost no Frams, if any at all, are made in China though...

While they are not the oil filters that may be on the subject for this post, pretty sure I've run into a few Fram fuel filters that were made in China.

Originally Posted By: 20pss
A few years ago I read that Purolator's were having a tearing issue, and this board made it seem very common.

Links to the posts on this board please.

Since then, I have been cutting open every oil filter (I change it ever oil change). I have put on about 25,000 miles, so 5 oil changes. Every single one has come back in perfect condition. I even changed oil on my truck recently, and again, perfect.

Pity you didn't take pictures especially since you were lurking on this board cutting up Purolators to see whether there was a problem supposedly reported here a lot.

Originally Posted By: Lead Shoes
Most of these failures are coming from the filter being used for longer than designed for. Purolator recommends only 3k miles on the classic filter and 5k on the pure 1. People reporting in with problems are almost always in the 7k+ oci range and using classic from what I have seen.

Sorry, but not true. If you go read Purolator's statements on their website it clearly says:

"Purolator oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

The "or" part of the statement means that if a car manufacturer recommends a 7500 mile oil change, then Purolator is saying their filters will meet that OEM service spec.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

While they are not the oil filters that may be on the subject for this post, pretty sure I've run into a few Fram fuel filters that were made in China.

A lot of the FRAM cartridge style filters are made in China.

The Tough Guard to fit my Toyota Land Cruiser (TG10295) is made in China and is $13.97 at Walmart.

How much money are they making on that one?

I have one sitting in the scrap bin right now if you really want pictures. Its not much to see, just a brown filter as it should be. I use the L24651 in my car and the truck I think is the L30001 (I always forget, and check the book in the store). Its the FL-1a replacement anyway. What bad could wavy fins do anyway? As long as it is filtering, I don't see the problem. I'm not sure I can post links to the posts, you could probably search them just as fast, but I'll see what I can dig up.

Last edited:
It's not wavy pleats ... lots of filters exhibit that trait after use, especially a "short trip" use car, or one with a coolant leak into the oil. It's torn media that people frown upon.

The spreadsheet did show a couple of 24651s that tore, but no 30001s.

Purolator Failures by Model
14610 = 9
10241 = 6
14459 = 4
14460 = 3
20195 = 3
14006 = 2
24651 = 2
10111 = 1

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Lead Shoes

Sorry, but not true. If you go read Purolator's statements on their website it clearly says:

"Purolator oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

The "or" part of the statement means that if a car manufacturer recommends a 7500 mile oil change, then Purolator is saying their filters will meet that OEM service spec.

I was thinking the same thing. If you look at the spreadsheet that was posted, the first 7 listings (that have an OCI mileage listed) were 5,000 miles or under.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...p=sharing#gid=0

Last edited:
^

Your link is a thread started in Sep 2014. We know about those. You said this:

A few years ago I read that Purolator's were having a tearing issue, and this board made it seem very common.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: Kruse

A lot of the FRAM cartridge style filters are made in China.

The Tough Guard to fit my Toyota Land Cruiser (TG10295) is made in China and is $13.97 at Walmart.

How much money are they making on that one?

True many of the low volume cartridge filters are subbed out at this time although Motorking has posted as demand increases they will be making them themselves.

However the OP is talking about "filters he has used for years" and "cutting open" so he is not talking about cartridge filters. He still hasn't posted his application either which would be helpful. I am still not aware of any Fram canister spin ons made in China though.

Hopefully this wont sound too stupid, but what do you mean by application? I'm sorry I can't post the threads I found years ago, I didn't keep track. I don't remember seeing any real numbers posted, just some people stating it was a common problem. I think 2012 was the year I first saw it. I have not been lurking on this board very long, I just came across a few threads while searching google. I remember specifically the fram screw on filter I used was the fram version of the FL-1a, and it was made in china. This was years ago, however. I simply wanted to report that I have been using purolator oil filters, and have had no problems.

Application = what vehicle you use the filter on.

That is great you haven't had any problems, but other people have found torn media. Even if the media is torn while the filter is being used, I doubt the average driver would notice a problem as oil would still flow through the filter to the engine. The idea is that with torn media there would be unfiltered oil going to the engine. Would it cause substantial engine damage? Maybe not, but I'd rather spend the $1 or $2 more for a better filter.

FWIW - I just replaced a Classic L14006 with 6,300 miles (4 months) off the Yukon running QS Defy 10w30. Put on a Pure One and running Napa Syn 5w30. I didnt' feel like cutting it open, but the oil pressure seemed correct the whole run.

I have about 8 or 9 Classics/Pure One's left in my stash. . . got 'em dirt cheap ($1.50 each) when a kmart near me closed. Also have about 5 or 6 Mobil M1-107's, but will run those mainly in the winter . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back