Speak to me about Dodge Nitros, + 2.8 CRD engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old man recently impulse bought a 2008 Dodge Nitro basically because he's liked the look of them since they came out! (Now he has 3 cars and can't get rid of the others)
It has the 2.8 VM Motori diesel engine also found in Jeep Cherokees of that era which is basically the same car.
What are these engines and the rest of the car like in terms of reliability? Are there any common faults and things to look out for?
I've found a few tiny rust spots but this isn't unusual for a car that has been on the coast for the last 6 years, so I will treat those.

Having driven the car quite a few times I actually really like it, the engine is very torquey and the acceleration is surprisingly staggering since I was expecting it to be slow. Handling isn't too bad and it's a fair bit shorter and narrower that the Falcon so it's easier to park in tight spots. My only gripe is that it has a part time 4WD system which I locked up when I tested it out on tarmac haha

They use a timing belt, so know the replacement interval and know when or if the previous owner had the belt changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back