Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20 availability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope!

You hardly ever see PU for sale anywhere! You might see it in 2 years on the clearance shelf though.

PU is all over the shelves in stores near me.

5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30.

I don't believe Pennzoil is distributing PU in 0W-20 yet.

The MSDS for PU 0W-20 is relatively new and SOPUS never gets in any hurry.

In the meantime, QSUD and PP are available in 0W-20 and are good substitutes.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Amazon has it listed on their site, but not available, so I'd assume it should be out there somewhere now or soon. Has anyone seen this for sale yet?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JMCCMB2

It shows up from time to time, but it goes fast. You either have to be johnny-on-the-spot or sign up for the notification.

I've settled in on the Kendall 0w-20. Just to be different, I guess.

How much is it typically when in stock?

~$90 for the 3 pack in the 5qt jugs, free shipping. All in all, not horrible, IMO. Yes, there are cheaper versions out there, especially with the QSUD, but $8-10 every few months is no big deal IMHO.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
How much is it typically when in stock?

~$90 for the 3 pack in the 5qt jugs, free shipping. All in all, not horrible, IMO. Yes, there are cheaper versions out there, especially with the QSUD, but $8-10 every few months is no big deal IMHO.

$90 for a 5qt 3-pk isn't so bad. I'm due for an oil change now, so PP this time.

Amazon has it listed on their site, but not available, so I'd assume it should be out there somewhere now or soon. Has anyone seen this for sale yet?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JMCCMB2

I just got a case of 3 jugs of it from Amazon. It arrived yesterday. Just sign up for the notify me when this item becomes available and run to your pic when you get the notification because in about 10 min of getting it they only had one case left by the time I ordered it.

If I knew how to post pics I would to prove it does exist. Though my local jiffy lube said Pennzoil didn't make 0w20 Ultra so as soon as the case came I took it to them and showed them they were just too lazy to do their job.
smile.gif

I paid about $87 for a 3 pack of 5qt jugs. I think that should be enough to feed my Lancer for the next year.

Last edited:
I am getting sick of the endless hunt for PU.

Widespread availability is ridiculous.

I don't know if it's worth it anymore...

Why not just run Mobil 1 0W20? Mobil 1 really is a better oil from testing I have reviewed. I think Pennzoil's pure plus Platinum and Ultra Platinum is just all marketing hype and is no better than Mobil 1. In fact, it didn't fair anywhere near as well as Mobil 1 did in failure testing conducted. I was going to go with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 until I read the test at the link I provided and saw that the Pennzoil costs a good amount more than Mobil 1 and isn't as good. Don't believe all the marketing hype out there.

Check out the testing done here:

http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Last edited:
Nope. The only place in the Fayetteville, NC area I've seen a jug of ANY Ultra Platinum is Pep Boys and it was 5W-30 for $39.99. FWIW, Royal Purple at Wal-Mart is $37.99

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Why not just run Mobil 1 0W20? Mobil 1 really is a better oil from testing I have reviewed. I think Pennzoil's pure plus Platinum and Ultra Platinum is just all marketing hype and is no better than Mobil 1. In fact, it didn't fair anywhere near as well as Mobil 1 did in failure testing conducted. I was going to go with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 until I read the test at the link I provided and saw that the Pennzoil costs a good amount more than Mobil 1 and isn't as good. Don't believe all the marketing hype out there.

That test is pure garbage.

I have had a hard time finding PP, at least on sale. Went to Advanced Auto today since they have a great deal right now, Don't have any in store or on the web, said they don't carry it. The lady also tried tell me all Pennzoil was terrible quality, but I knew better. Looking online Oriley doesn't have it listed either. I could go M1 but I would like to use the QT of PP I have leftover. Anyone else seeing something similar?

PP is $22.66 at Walmart. 0W-20 shows in stock at the stores around me in Chicago. I don't expect to see it cheaper than that anywhere, sale or not.

Interestingly the NOACK on PU is higher than PP for 0W-20. ~12% vs ~10%.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Based on what evidence? Where has there been independent testing anywhere showing that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is better than Mobil 1? I haven't found a single shred of evidence showing that. Please point me in the right direction.

Based on what evidence? Where has there been independent testing anywhere showing that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is better than Mobil 1? I haven't found a single shred of evidence showing that. Please point me in the right direction.

The link you provide isn't evidence either. Just one man's rant. I'm not saying your opinion of PUP and PP vs M1 is wrong. (I'm not saying you are right, either.) But that website (if you can call it that) seems to be little more than one man's attempt at getting his 15 minutes of fame.

There are plenty of discussions about that particular blog, here on bitog. None are favorable. If I were better at searches, I'd provide a few links. Perhaps someone with better skills can do so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BHopkins

The link you provide isn't evidence either. Just one man's rant. I'm not saying your opinion of PUP and PP vs M1 is wrong. (I'm not saying you are right, either.) But that website (if you can call it that) seems to be little more than one man's attempt at getting his 15 minutes of fame.

There are plenty of discussions about that particular blog, here on bitog. None are favorable. If I were better at searches, I'd provide a few links. Perhaps someone with better skills can do so.

Thank you, sir!

Hey, I would switch tomorrow from Mobil 1 to PUP if I can get some concrete data, testing, analysis showing it's better than Mobil 1. So far, I haven't found anything that is persuasive.

Ordered PP 0w20 online for $22 and was fulfilled within an hour at a Walmart close to my home in Chicago. From what I can tell most have it in stock at this price in Indiana as well.

The M1 0W20 is better in spec sheets without doubt but I have my reasons for not using it.

The 'test' posted above is nonsense.

Ordered PP 0w20 online for $22 and was fulfilled within an hour at a Walmart close to my home in Chicago. From what I can tell most have it in stock at this price in Indiana as well.

The M1 0W20 is better in spec sheets without doubt but I have my reasons for not using it.

The 'test' posted above is nonsense.

Can you tell me why you don't use Mobil 1 any longer? If it's better oil, why avoid it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back