Internet tv

Status
Not open for further replies.
So talk to me here. I've got fibre optic internet so it's fast. And I'm not paying 160 a month for cable so im looking at Google tv,Apple tv,roku 3 and so on.
I'm not interested in an American point of view. You guys are light years ahead of what we have available here in Canada and I don't need my nose rubbed in it,thanks.

So for my Canadian counterparts who have ditched cable what's the best available or do I need to buy them all.
I'm already invested in Apple products so is there any gain in sticking with them or is Google TV better.

Help me out here.

Thanks.

Not sure what is available in the US over Canada.

However if the need arises you trick an American provider into thinking you located in America via a VPN service. I have done this travelling to get US Xfinity and Netflix.

+2 on the VPN. It might be dicey setting up a blu ray player; might have to do it thru your computer.

Love our two Roku 3's, though the limited time I've spent with the apple tv has been good as well. If you run everything though one of these you have to get something good (repsonsive) we tried with a sony blu ray player and the waiting and bad menu structure really gets old fast.

Sure, I'm in the US but it's the same hardware either way.

Just do it, if you go back to cable in two months you'll still have saved money, and you can give the device away or use it on a limited basis.

Last edited:
ROKU is terrific. Get the model that houses both wireless and wired. It's only about $20more and if you lose one side, then you still have another feed coming in.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I'm not interested in an American point of view. You guys are light years ahead of what we have available here in Canada and I don't need my nose rubbed in it,thanks.

I was with you until here. I'm not sure what we have here that you guys don't have. And too, we have the same choices as consumers in terms of streaming devices that you guys have. Google TV, Apple TV, and Roku are all available and popular in the United States.

As a cord-cutter myself, I have some thoughts on your choices, but I wouldn't want to butt in with my American perspective...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I was with you until here. I'm not sure what we have here that you guys don't have.

I know the actual content available through providers like Netflix is different in Canada. Apparently there is less of it there. I wouldn't be surprised if the same holds true for other services like Amazon Prime, Hulu+, etc.

I was with you until here. I'm not sure what we have here that you guys don't have. And too, we have the same choices as consumers in terms of streaming devices that you guys have. Google TV, Apple TV, and Roku are all available and popular in the United States.

As a cord-cutter myself, I have some thoughts on your choices, but I wouldn't want to butt in with my American perspective...
wink.gif

What does an American perspective have to do with anything? I want to know if a canadian has cut the cord and what kind of programming they get.
Get over yourself. Obviously other than tears you've got nothing to add,so why even post?

T
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I was with you until here. I'm not sure what we have here that you guys don't have.

I know the actual content available through providers like Netflix is different in Canada. Apparently there is less of it there. I wouldn't be surprised if the same holds true for other services like Amazon Prime, Hulu+, etc.

Amazon prime?
Hulu?

I'm thinking that's more of the stuff we don't get.

Have any Canadians cut the cord and what kind of programming are you getting with what box.

I've heard of jail breaking an android box which sounds interesting.

What does an American perspective have to do with anything? I want to know if a canadian has cut the cord and what kind of programming they get.
Get over yourself. Obviously other than tears you've got nothing to add,so why even post?

What does an American perspective have to do anything? You asked about three hardware choices that a lot of Americans use. Even if you don't have as much content streaming choices that we have, you can still get relevant opinions and experiences on hardware reliability and quality.

Your original post wasn't clear that you were looking for opinions on Canadian programming content. In fact, nowhere in your post do you ask about services. You simply asked about hardware options, and asked if you have to buy them all.

And I ended my post with a smiley wink, which means that I didn't intend for my post to read as heavy as you apparently took it. Lighten up, bud.

My parent seem to have no trouble with Apple tv which is saying something. One of my not very technical friends also uses a VPN service to get US Netflix and UK BBC content for something like $60 a year.

What does an American perspective have to do anything? You asked about three hardware choices that a lot of Americans use. Even if you don't have as much content streaming choices that we have, you can still get relevant opinions and experiences on hardware reliability and quality.

Your original post wasn't clear that you were looking for opinions on Canadian programming content. In fact, nowhere in your post do you ask about services. You simply asked about hardware options, and asked if you have to buy them all.

And I ended my post with a smiley wink, which means that I didn't intend for my post to read as heavy as you apparently took it. Lighten up, bud.

I apologize for being a jerk. I missed the smiley face and thought your post was something it apparently wasn't. I'm still learning how to take comments with a grain of salt.
Again please accept my apology.

K guys so my buddy has a jail broken Google tv box and I can't believe what he can get on it. He's got movies saved that are still in theatres which baffles me.

I'm still leaning towards an Apple TV box. I like how everything integrates with my devices already however even android boxes will tether or "mirror"to Apple products.
I can buy my friends jail broken box for 100 bucks so I think I'm taking it. It's got American netfli too. Not sure how that's done but I'm impressed.

I apologize for being a jerk. I missed the smiley face and thought your post was something it apparently wasn't. I'm still learning how to take comments with a grain of salt.

K guys so my buddy has a jail broken Google tv box and I can't believe what he can get on it. He's got movies saved that are still in theatres which baffles me.

I'm still leaning towards an Apple TV box. I like how everything integrates with my devices already however even android boxes will tether or "mirror"to Apple products.
I can buy my friends jail broken box for 100 bucks so I think I'm taking it. It's got American netfli too. Not sure how that's done but I'm impressed.

So basically your buddy is torrenting movies and watching them on his google tv. That really is the only way of getting moves still in theaters. I personally would never watch a camrip, but hey different folks...

I don't know what you have access to in Canada, though I thought Amazon prime would still work there, guess I'm mistaken.

I accept your apology; thank you. I intended the comment to be humorous in nature. Sometimes the smileys don't do a good job of that, even though it's perhaps the best tool we have.

If you have other Apple hardware, I think an Apple TV is likely one your best options. We have a Roku 3 and really enjoy it, but I'd like to get an Apple TV one day as well (we have iPhones and an iPad).

It looks like Netflix has a Canadian version of their service, and I'd imagine that all of the streaming boxes you are considering can stream Netflix. I've also read about circumventing Hulu Plus' geo-blocking. I don't know if that's against the law as much as it is against their terms of service. It looks like folks are successful at it.

Here's an article, that you may have already read, on canadiancordcutting.com:

http://www.canadiancordcutting.com/2013/02/getting-hulu-plus-in-canada.html

Do you plan to add an aerial antenna? For us, our aerial antenna plus Netflix is the 90% solution. My wife likes to watch some things on Hulu, so we do subscribe to that as well, although I find it less useful to me personally than Netflix. Both are good services, depending on what types of content you like. If you're good with watching live content over the air, and you can use an aerial antenna, then I don't think you miss much if you can't get Hulu anyway.

I accept your apology; thank you. I intended the comment to be humorous in nature. Sometimes the smileys don't do a good job of that, even though it's perhaps the best tool we have.

If you have other Apple hardware, I think an Apple TV is likely one your best options. We have a Roku 3 and really enjoy it, but I'd like to get an Apple TV one day as well (we have iPhones and an iPad).

It looks like Netflix has a Canadian version of their service, and I'd imagine that all of the streaming boxes you are considering can stream Netflix. I've also read about circumventing Hulu Plus' geo-blocking. I don't know if that's against the law as much as it is against their terms of service. It looks like folks are successful at it.

Here's an article, that you may have already read, on canadiancordcutting.com:

http://www.canadiancordcutting.com/2013/02/getting-hulu-plus-in-canada.html

Do you plan to add an aerial antenna? For us, our aerial antenna plus Netflix is the 90% solution. My wife likes to watch some things on Hulu, so we do subscribe to that as well, although I find it less useful to me personally than Netflix. Both are good services, depending on what types of content you like. If you're good with watching live content over the air, and you can use an aerial antenna, then I don't think you miss much if you can't get Hulu anyway.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to it now.

Now that's informative.

So change the Vpn and get American streaming TV.

Nice.

Thanks for that link. Once I get home I'm going to try it out.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I personally would never watch a camrip, but hey different folks...

I'm the same. I tend to wait for Blu Ray's to become available to enjoy the picture quality rather than streaming or cable tv.

Netflix quality has surprised me though.

For us, our aerial antenna plus Netflix is the 90% solution. My wife likes to watch some things on Hulu, so we do subscribe to that as well, although I find it less useful to me personally than Netflix.

Does you wife need Hulu Plus content or regular Hulu? Regular Hulu can be watched on tv through an old laptop or basic HTPC.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Does you wife need Hulu Plus content or regular Hulu? Regular Hulu can be watched on tv through an old laptop or basic HTPC.

We 'need' Hulu Plus just like we 'need' to be watching TV to begin with!
smile.gif
The convenience of being able to watch it on Roku like everything else is worth the low price of admission for us. Plus, Hulu Plus streams in HD resolution, whereas Hulu.com is limited to standard def.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back