General Altimax Arctics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
If everyone were to use winter tires, they wouldn't have to salt the roads.

Perhaps. I'm not sure how much salt helps to dry off the road. As in, if you don't use salt, does the road keep ice and snow on it longer? Usually once the sun comes out the roads melt and get dry in pretty quick order. If you throw down salt it should melt off all the faster I'd think, as the water stays unfrozen for a larger temperature range.

While that does not negate winter tire usage my point is: once the roads transition to wet (and then an end state of dry) road speeds go back to normal. As compared to prior when one has to drive slower. Thus the road can carry more cars per hour thus negating the need more lanes. Thus salt may be a cheaper solution than building roads that can handle the traffic during poor weather conditions. Or at least an attractive proposition to getting traffic back to normal speeds.

[I realize you can drive faster on winter tires. But can you carry on at a typical 75mph on the highway with snow? Can you do typical bumper to bumper stoplight dashes with slush? Or do you still slow down even with proper tires?]

I dunno. Just a thought off the top of my head. Would be nice to not have salt eating away at my cars. OTOH they would still rust even if I didn't oilcoat. So the big gain would be bridges that don't crumble. 'cept they have to be replaced every so often anyhow, like when the road needs expansion.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If everyone would just use winter tires you wouldn't need studs. I wish I could afford a set but hopefully my new mastercraft avenger gts can cope this winter. Last winter made due with 3/32nds on front I think I'll be OK.

I've spent a few Christmas holidays in Winnipeg and often they don't salt the roads as its too cold to matter, especially on side streets.
The intersections tend to get polished right up and getting going and stopping is a bit of a chore sometimes.
If the vehicle standard awd with studded tires, then you probably could salt much much less, but regular snow tires on 2wd's won't cut it on sheets of ice with any sort of slope.

I know it's kinda gone off topic, but I just wanted to add my .02 in that I also love my Altimax Arctic's. I have had them on 2 different cars, and my folks will be on their 2nd set as well. I think they are the best winter tire out there. Love 'em.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I know it's kinda gone off topic, but I just wanted to add my .02 in that I also love my Altimax Arctic's. I have had them on 2 different cars, and my folks will be on their 2nd set as well. I think they are the best winter tire out there. Love 'em.

smile.gif
This isn't off topic at all! Are the Arctic on the 2010Civic in your signature?

I have noticed over the years and owning Honda vehicles, that they could use some help in winter time. Help meaning, better tires than just good A/S tires. Often needing dedicated snows!

My daughter's Mazda3 is this way as well. We had Hankook Optimo H727(good in the snow/ice) but, still needed better!

This is why we chose the AltiMAX Arctic especially since she moved to hilley PA, where there is often more icey roads than snow in Happy Valley. And traveling up/down the roads requires something better than even a good A/S tires can provide, especially when traveling outside the mountain.

I disagree. I think the primary need for salt is ice - especially glare ice from the melting of the snow. Winter tires - even ice rated tires - just aren't as good as having dry pavement. Heck, it's even better for wet highways! Ice is just flat dangerous!

Our gov, declares a snow emergency and people stay home until the plows are through. Best way of dealing with snow is to stay off the roads. I used to be of I can drive through anything school. Not anymore,and I pretty much can drive anything anywhere. I choose not to

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: SLCraig

smile.gif
This isn't off topic at all! Are the Arctic on the 2010Civic in your signature?

I have noticed over the years and owning Honda vehicles, that they could use some help in winter time. Help meaning, better tires than just good A/S tires. Often needing dedicated snows!

My daughter's Mazda3 is this way as well. We had Hankook Optimo H727(good in the snow/ice) but, still needed better!

This is why we chose the AltiMAX Arctic especially since she moved to hilley PA, where there is often more icey roads than snow in Happy Valley. And traveling up/down the roads requires something better than even a good A/S tires can provide, especially when traveling outside the mountain.

Yeah, I have the Altimax for my Civic SI, and I also had them on my last Saturn. Great tires they are. The Honda is a bit light, my folks car with Altimax handle even better than mine in the snow.

I use them on my RWD 530i in size 215/60/16. They are now 5 years old. They have plenty of tread left as some winters I did not even use them, so I'm hoping the rubber hasn't yet hardened too much and they'll still be OK to use this winter.

DSC_4424.jpg

Originally Posted By: supton

Perhaps. I'm not sure how much salt helps to dry off the road. As in, if you don't use salt, does the road keep ice and snow on it longer? Usually once the sun comes out the roads melt and get dry in pretty quick order. If you throw down salt it should melt off all the faster I'd think, as the water stays unfrozen for a larger temperature range.

The rough thing is salt bonds to water and makes it harder to release/ evaporate, as I understand it. Ice will eventually sublimate anyway in bone dry humidity. If you get sun on snowbanks, they trickle a little water into the road every afternoon and will refreeze, so it helps to prophylactically paint the road with brine and have it stay that way all winter.

The real challenge would be to work on road drainage so icemelt stays in the ditch. It would likely be cost- prohibitive.

I have used these tires and can say they worked very well in snow.

PLUG:
smile.gif
Anyone around NC: I have a set of 4 in mint condition 225/60/16 size for sale for $150 (check "for sale" section)

They are just fine on the hwy. Granted, the steering response isn't as immediate as a sporty summer or A/S tire, but absolutely no drama either.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Just out of curiosity, what car are your folks driving?

They were driving an older Nissan Maxima until this spring. They are now in a 2010 Infiniti EX35 and my dad is buying the same tires for his new ride. We both love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back