Police K9 dies after left in cruiser for hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
A police officer left his K9 partner in the car while he did paperwork with the car off and the windows up. If a criminal hurts or kills a police K9, the charges are the same as if it were a person. What was the punishment for this offense?
Quote:
After a disciplinary hearing, Harrison received a two-week unpaid suspension and a loss of 40 hours of vacation.

http://www.fox19.com/story/26726708/poli...than-four-hours

Poor dog
frown.gif
He definitely got a slap on the wrist.

Originally Posted By: Bryankkkk
Poor dog
frown.gif
He definitely got a slap on the wrist.

I think the guilt and public humiliation is plenty of punishment.

I think someone should have been charged, and gone in front of a judge JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.

Above the law. Plain and simple.

Agreed, the officer should have been charged. Even if for animal abuse.

It's unfortunate that those who "protect and serve" are often treated "better" than the rest of us.

He got 2 weeks off of work unpaid and 40 hours of vacation taken away. That's nothing. He should be charged with animal cruelty

Yes he got off easy but having said that I'm sure the situation.is very emotional . Also good poeople do make mistakes sometimes.

Originally Posted By: whip
If a criminal hurts or kills a police K9, the charges are the same as if it were a person.

Not saying it's right, justified, acceptable, etc. but let's play devils advocate here.

You said criminal. Notionally that implies under hot blood or in the process of committing a crime. That was not the case here, in the intended spirit of the law.

The analogy that we have to draw, however unfortunate, is if a negligent parent leaves their is in the car. Assuming it was stupidity/negligence, not premeditated murder,is the punishment different than death by abuse or malicious killing? Is the crime the same if someone accidentally runs over someone and kills them as if they purposely murdered them?

It was a slap on the wrist, and sad and horrible that the punishment was what it is. But the circumstances seem different than the intent of the law for harming a K9 officer.

The crime the officer was committing was leaving the dog in the car with the windows up. Do the same thing with a child, and you are going to jail. It's called criminal negligence.

If he were not a cop, he would likely be wearing cuffs.

Yes indeed. Over the past few years, for example, there have been a decent amount of cases involving horse owners who could no longer properly care for their animals due to economic conditions.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I'm sure the situation.is very emotional . Also good poeople do make mistakes sometimes.

Why the assumption that he's a good person? Are you one of those people that think a badge makes someone better than someone else?

Every cartoon I watched growing up taught me that police are fit, intelligent, and always make the right calls, and that only freaks with green skin and licentious facial features ever disagree with them.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Would an ordinary citizen be in cuffs for neglecting an animal?

For killing a police dog, yes they would, absolutely. They would be charged the same as if they killed a human cop in most/all jurisdictions. I suppose it could have been an accident, but if you work with this animal as your partner every day, how do you forget that it's sitting in the car?

He needs to be charged. Cops should not be above the law. They should be held to the same standard as the rest of us (actually, a higher standard). Even firing the cop and banishing him from working in the field again would be a slap on the wrist.

And even if you put morals aside completely, would three weeks of not paying an officer recoup the cost of replacing a trained police dog? I don't know, but I doubt it.

Letting LEOs get away with crimes that other people would be charged for is exactly why so many people do not trust them as a whole.

Being a dog owner they aren't just animals they are a part of my family and I would defend my dog with my life,just like I know he would defend mine,so to read of a dog owner who negligently treats his animal disgusts and infuriates me.
Now let's address the fact that this negligent owner is an officer of the law who is suppose to protect and serve and be an example for society at large.
Some example.
I know for a fact that the cost of those animals by the time they are trained and put into the field can be in excess of 20 thousand dollars. Who picks up that tab?
When societies have "heros" who do rotten things it leaves a void inside all of us because we need to know that those heros are above failure,above error.
There isn't any chance I'd leave my dog in such a situation because he matters to me. This guy obviously made a choice.
Because this was a police dog I feel the same laws that apply to someone else killing the animal should apply to its owner. I don't care about the "spirit" of a law,I've never been charged based in a laws "spirit",I've been charged because my actions were in violation of how a law was "written".
Let this dirtbag face the same justice anyone else would face,or do laws only apply to certain people?
Just wondering

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Every cartoon I watched growing up taught me that police are fit, intelligent, and always make the right calls, and that only freaks with green skin and licentious facial features ever disagree with them.

Who is this you speak of?

And I learnt a new word today. Licentious. Had to look it up!

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Would an ordinary citizen be in cuffs for neglecting an animal?

down here they would...dog dies in hot car, arrest and criminal charges.

It never ceases to amaze me how stupid people can be. In this case it's the Police Officer. If he had a K9 partner that means he was a dog handler. I think it is pretty safe to [censored]ume he had training in the care of handling that dog along with how to work with the dog. Even if he wasn't a dog handler what about common sense?

Lets just say if all he got was two weeks off with no pay and 40 hours vacation taken away as Nick1994 said that was nothing. As others mentioned killing a Police dog is a crime he should have been arrested. Opinions vary.

69f at 10:54am, 79f at 3:13pm.

What temp would it be inside the car?

I also wonder where the car was parked and if any other cops might have seen this.

Now they want money to buy technology that will roll down the windows in case the cop forgets.

I'm not an animal person, but it seems this cop was. I'd say he is suffering a lot over this. The charges as per the law should be brought, but I hope his record and obvious regret are taken into account for sentencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back